FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Start-Up Walk-Up Q Joint - Exp'd 'Raunt Advice Plse
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
porkbelly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04 13 9:19 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Unfortunately, didn’t go forward, for two reasons.

1.) As time went on, I got less comfortable going forward with my partner for numerous reasons. I’d never wanted a partner, for past 6 years been looking to do it myself, but in this case, to minimize my financial risk overall, share the time burden, went in to it with him. It ended on good terms. I am back to my original thought / approach, if I ever get this going, I’ll do it myself, no partner, or I won’t do it.

2.) While initially the county gave indications they would approve large mobile concession made permanent on the ground, in the end, after many meetings, they would not approve. They wanted us to build, didn’t matter that we supplied good drawings of the unit with hardiplank siding attached to it to make it look like a small house, and were going to build a covered front open-air porch off of it, with shingled normal looking roof covering a paver patio. We then did consider building, but we got to a point where in order to try to go forward, we’d have to spend about $25 - $30,000, with architectural and engineered drawings, still with no guarantee they’d approve, or would want us to change, investing more $$$ on plan changes. Plus, with all of their rules / regs / hoops they make you jump through to go from the ground up, just became too much. One example, they were going to require us to install storm drains and tie it in to water system .... cost? Approximately $$35,000 - $40,000 for that alone. Vital money taken away, wasted, from our start-up financial nut, because we had to now meet “current code” on any new construction, no matter that the property had been in its current state (already a paved and lined parking lot), sitting there for decades with no storm drains. Brilliant.

Here’s what I learned. Unless I win the lottery, I won’t ever build to start, I’ll find some small place, already built and approved for ‘raunt, and lease. It’s a miracle any business ever gets started, it’s almost like the county / city / etc. they’re all the same, put so many rules / regs / hoops to jump through, like they’re almost looking to prevent new businesses from starting. People sitting in cubes, basically contributing nothing, risking nothing of their own lives or finances, doing 9 – 5 justifying their job and telling you how much money you have to spend, or why a large mobile concession trailer, fully health dept. approved, and cleaner / nicer than many existing commercial kitchens, telling you that won’t work / not approved. And not to mention, I’d be contributing jobs, tax revenue.

The good news is, we got extremely lucky on the lot we bought. It is also next to Amtrak station, Amtrak hurting for parking, so they bought it from us, and in a short time, we each made a nice little profit. But, the stars and planets lined up, very very lucky, and I’m in real estate. If we hadn’t sold it to them, even though great business variables on the property, we might have been sitting on it for years trying to sell it … and I say that again with the county in mind … anyone else would have to go through them again, and perhaps all their hoops too cost prohibitive. In defense of county, on some other issues, they did look to work with us since we were looking to be so small to start.

Last note. One meeting, our local, ancient, elected representative, his name is Dick (for real) sitting there telling us he didn’t want mobile concession, no matter dressed up looking like a house or not. He wanted something to look like a Shoney’s. He had the F%$#* gall to say “I love BBQ, BBQ in this area would be good ………. But I don’t want it to cost too much”. I wanted to say, “I tell you what, Dick (emphasis), it’ll be fairly priced for our customer’s, but your combo meal will cost $40,000, to help pay for storm drains, help pay for the Shoney’s you basically want me to build ………. How about that, "Dick”.

Cry or LOL. Unbelievable.

Everyone on this site is awesome, sharing information, that’s all I got to say.
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04 13 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply with quote

porkbelly wrote:
Unfortunately, didn’t go forward, for two reasons.

1.) As time went on, I got less comfortable going forward with my partner for numerous reasons. I’d never wanted a partner, for past 6 years been looking to do it myself, but in this case, to minimize my financial risk overall, share the time burden, went in to it with him. It ended on good terms. I am back to my original thought / approach, if I ever get this going, I’ll do it myself, no partner, or I won’t do it.

2.) While initially the county gave indications they would approve large mobile concession made permanent on the ground, in the end, after many meetings, they would not approve. They wanted us to build, didn’t matter that we supplied good drawings of the unit with hardiplank siding attached to it to make it look like a small house, and were going to build a covered front open-air porch off of it, with shingled normal looking roof covering a paver patio. We then did consider building, but we got to a point where in order to try to go forward, we’d have to spend about $25 - $30,000, with architectural and engineered drawings, still with no guarantee they’d approve, or would want us to change, investing more $$$ on plan changes. Plus, with all of their rules / regs / hoops they make you jump through to go from the ground up, just became too much. One example, they were going to require us to install storm drains and tie it in to water system .... cost? Approximately $$35,000 - $40,000 for that alone. Vital money taken away, wasted, from our start-up financial nut, because we had to now meet “current code” on any new construction, no matter that the property had been in its current state (already a paved and lined parking lot), sitting there for decades with no storm drains. Brilliant.

Here’s what I learned. Unless I win the lottery, I won’t ever build to start, I’ll find some small place, already built and approved for ‘raunt, and lease. It’s a miracle any business ever gets started, it’s almost like the county / city / etc. they’re all the same, put so many rules / regs / hoops to jump through, like they’re almost looking to prevent new businesses from starting. People sitting in cubes, basically contributing nothing, risking nothing of their own lives or finances, doing 9 – 5 justifying their job and telling you how much money you have to spend, or why a large mobile concession trailer, fully health dept. approved, and cleaner / nicer than many existing commercial kitchens, telling you that won’t work / not approved. And not to mention, I’d be contributing jobs, tax revenue.

The good news is, we got extremely lucky on the lot we bought. It is also next to Amtrak station, Amtrak hurting for parking, so they bought it from us, and in a short time, we each made a nice little profit. But, the stars and planets lined up, very very lucky, and I’m in real estate. If we hadn’t sold it to them, even though great business variables on the property, we might have been sitting on it for years trying to sell it … and I say that again with the county in mind … anyone else would have to go through them again, and perhaps all their hoops too cost prohibitive. In defense of county, on some other issues, they did look to work with us since we were looking to be so small to start.

Last note. One meeting, our local, ancient, elected representative, his name is Dick (for real) sitting there telling us he didn’t want mobile concession, no matter dressed up looking like a house or not. He wanted something to look like a Shoney’s. He had the F%$#* gall to say “I love BBQ, BBQ in this area would be good ………. But I don’t want it to cost too much”. I wanted to say, “I tell you what, Dick (emphasis), it’ll be fairly priced for our customer’s, but your combo meal will cost $40,000, to help pay for storm drains, help pay for the Shoney’s you basically want me to build ………. How about that, "Dick”.

Cry or LOL. Unbelievable.

Everyone on this site is awesome, sharing information, that’s all I got to say.

Holy cow! All this sounds too familiar to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: