FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking about a blackstone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues brother

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 11:05 pm    Post subject: thinking about a blackstone... Reply with quote

I have been wanting a blackstone For some time now. I think I am about to drop the Benjamin's on one soon.
I am glad that I found this section of the ring.
I know jarhead is not crazy about his blackstone. Have looked at the one at academy sports.
I am just rambling with some thoughts...
Stumps Baby
Dutch Ovens
Discos
Fridge
Hot Water
and a Bunk!
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it!!!
I saw the one at the Academy and it looks like a great deal!!
I like cast iron for its non-stick property and heat retention, that’s why I got the Camp Chef. Plus, I already had the stove.
I don’t think the brand matters too much. It’s all about learning how to cook on it and how to control the heat. Food cooked over the hot spots has to be constantly moving. You can not just put it on there and walk away. If you ever been to a Japanese restaurant and saw the cook cooking the food in the center (the hottest spot), he’d be constantly stirring them. He may have some food around the edges where it's cooler warming up or finishing cooking all the way through. If you duplicate this process, you’ll have perfect food on any griddle.

Good luck and hopefully you’ll come back and post some pictures Very Happy
Kloogee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 36” Blackstone and really like it. Its not perfect, but I've used it a ton since I got it. Make sure when you use it, you definitely have it on a slight grade so that the grease flows towards the drain.

As mentioned there are definitely hotspots, but like Z mentioned above, you learn to use those to your advantage.

I've cooked lots of different things on it. My favorite is probably a big breakfast with bacon, sausage, pancakes, and eggs. But I've also done Japanese style fried rice as well as cooked a few hundred burgers at a fundraiser. It's done great on everything.

If I were to be in the buying game again, I'm not sure if I'd go with the Blackstone or go with the 3 burner Camp Chef plus griddle. Last I'd looked, the pricing was pretty close to the same. The Camp Chef would be a bit easier for taking camping and going to fund raisers and such. The mobility is the main thing that would have me looking at the Camp Chef option.

Although, I think both options will work very well for you.

Good luck!
blues brother

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.
I have an old camp chef 2 burner stove that I bought from Sams prolly 10 years ago. I thought about getting a camp chef griddle to fit it. But I could foresee needing a larger griddle and needing the 2 burner for other uses at the same time.
I also have a piece of stainless plate that is 1/4" X 20" X 48". I could have this made into a griddle...
I will do some more research into the camp chef 3 burner.
Which ever way I go it will be a great addition to my competition cook trailer and stumps smokers.
Stumps Baby
Dutch Ovens
Discos
Fridge
Hot Water
and a Bunk!
txluke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17 13 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my blackstone. It is heavy and bulky but I take the griddle off and lay it in the bed of my truck and the body fits in my camper and fits perfectly when I put in the slides. I have folded it up and it fits in the backseat of my f250. The first time we took it camping my wife declared that she would never cook inside the camper again. I use it for burgers, Japanese, stir fry, and it excells at breakfast.

The Triplets (3 UDSs)
Outdoor Gourmet vertical gasser
Lyfe Tyme offset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Flat Top & Griddle Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: