FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pig Chops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29 13 11:01 pm    Post subject: Pig Chops Reply with quote

I had a hankering for thick grilled pork chops. Soooooo.....

First I grilled some corn.

Mixed up the rest of the goodies while the corn was resting.

Cut the grilled corn off the cob and added to the salsa. Man this stuff is good! You spoon the grilled corn salsa over the pork chops. Man oh man is it good!

Did a quick one hour brine in molasses, salt and water.

After the brine I washed them off then patted them dry.

Love me some thick pig chops!

Made the rub.

Rubbed up the pig pieces.

We made some homemade apple sauce. We didn't know it at the time but we were out of red hots....bummer. It was still tasty though.

Twice baked taters!

Off the grill and resting!

Throw in some good friends coming over and paper plates and life is good! Hope all are well. All the best.

--jeepdad

Pig Chops with Corn Salsa
serves 4

Ingredients

4 pork chops, 1 1/2" thick
For the brine:
1 quart of cold water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons molasses

For the rub:

1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For the salsa:

4 ears of corn, husked
4 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, diced (I just diced the tomatoes didn’t core or seed them)
1 medium red onion, diced
2 jalapeño, seeded and diced (I used four and did seed them we were feeding kiddos)
1.5 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice from 1 lime
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Procedure

1. To make the brine, mix the salt and molasses in the cold water until completely dissolved. Wash the pork chops and place in the brine, completely submerging them. Brine the pork in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

2. While the pork is in the brine, mix all the ingredients for the rub together in a small bowl.

3. Remove the pork chops from the brine and wash in cold water. Pat the chops dry with paper towels. Liberally season each chop all over with the rub, wrap in foil, and place back in the refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight. (I skipped the putting back in fridge part. Rubbed the chops up and put them on the grill. Dan)

4. Remove the pork chops from the refrigerator to allow them to come to room temperature. Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and build a two zone fire, with a thin layer of coals on one side of the charcoal grate, and the rest piled on the other side.

5. Wrap the ears of corn in tin foil and place on the hotter side of the grill. Grill covered for 15 minutes, turning four times during cooking. Remove the foil from the corn and continue to cook until lightly browned all over, about another five minutes. Remove the corn from the grill and set aside to cool.

6. Remove the pork chops from the foil and place them on the hotter side of the grill. Grill until each side is nicely browned, about 3 minutes per side. Move the chops to the cooler side of the grill, cover, and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer registers 135 degrees in the thickest part of the chop. Remove from the grill and tent with foil.

7. Cut off the corn kernels into a medium bowl and discard the cobs. Add the rest of the salsa ingredients and gently toss until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove the pork chops from the foil, top with the corn salsa, and serve.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, what a killer meal brother! I think a person would be tempted to eat the paper plate too after it soaked up all those flavors.

Thanks for taking the time to post the recipes too! The corn salsa will be on the menu at my house soon!

Hope all is well brother with you and yours. Happy New Year!!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troy. Ditto, brother I hope all is well out your way and Santa was good to you and the family. Have a safe New Years too.

I love this meal. The grilled salsa over the chile rubbed chops is dang good. I had an omlet this morning with some of the leftover salsa! Take care brother.

--Dan
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really big on "Great chow etc.", but that plate is seriously over the top...
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Home Run...... Very good look'in meal. Thanks for the post.
Disco
stingerhook
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one good lookin meal.
Square Chicken Cooker
Chargriller Barrel Grill
Stok Tower Grill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: