FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire Pit & Grill~Updated 01/22~ Delivered & Set Up~
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20 14 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, the pit looks fantastic. Very Happy

You both did a fine job on your build. Securing it to the deck is a good idea, that would definatley "walk away". Rolling Eyes

Make sure you get some steak dinner pics when it happens. Wink
bullypitbbq

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21 14 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice final product there TrailerBuilder. Love the sleek look
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG, Thanks man! Im really happy with how this one turned out!!

Smokin Mike, better late than never, thanks for taking a look.

Thank You George! I don't know about walking away...maybe dragged away with a chain. This thing is pretty heavy. Steak & Beers coming up as soon as it warms up a little in the evenings and the darned wind lays down some at night.

bullypitbbq, Thanks!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my buddy Nick and I got this heavy pit loaded in the back of my truck the other afternoon after work and headed to get it delivered and set up.

I had made a bracket out of some 1/8" plate and strap I had laying around. This will mount to the joist of the deck for the pit to attach to. Our own little Redneck Security System

Here is a little better pic of the bracket. Used four 1/4" lag screws to attach it to the joist.

Got some 16" pavers for the pit to sit on. The bottom of the pit is insulated and heat really shouldn't be a problem on the bottom, this is just a little more insurance to keep any heat from the bottom of the pit from the boards on the deck.

The scrap piece I welded on the bottom of the pit screws to the bracket coming up through the pavers. I used some 1/4" self threading screws for this.

Had a couple pieces broke by the metal shop to wrap around the bracket and lock on the bottom of the pit. Its getting dark so the pics are not the best here.

The wrap around over the bracket of the pit and screwed back together.

The locks added. I think this system will work well to detour a thief, this was kind of a PITA to install because there really isn't much room to work easily on the underside. I don't think anyone will think that it will be worth all the work involved to try and haul this one away. The pics are not the best, its dark out and there is only 4" of space on the underside of the pit.

Also made a couple hooks to pick the grate up off the pit. Used some 1/4" stainless rod I had.

It was dark, but I did get this picture in when we were finished.

The next day I got some daylight pictures sent to my phone. Im very pleased with the finished product and Im pretty sure the new owners are too Very Happy

Hopefully we can have a decent night around here soon when the temps are to terrible and the wind isn't blowing 30-40mph so we can get a good burn in, some steaks cooked, and a few beers drank too.

Hopefully first burn and some food pics coming soon...
Justapod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great install! Great project, TrailerBuilder, sorry it looks like it will be a week or more before you get the tolerable temperatures and less then 30 mph wind.

I think I need to consult you and Kam on designing some fancy security devices. Some POS peeled the door off the shop out at Rogersville and took off with a real old Lincoln AC/DC stick welder and an even older Victor torch and set of smallish bottles last night. Mad Evil or Very Mad I still have my little 110 wire feed and the grinders.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

Hopefully we can have a decent night around here soon when the temps are to terrible and the wind isn't blowing 30-40mph so we can get a good burn in, some steaks cooked, and a few beers drank too.

Hopefully first burn and some food pics coming soon...

Bro, you can't actually use it! Shocked That's like owning fine china that you never actually intend on using, it's just for show. Now here's what you need to do...build another just like it next weekend and swap them out quickly as needed. One for real time use and the other for... Laughing Kind of a shame I'm gonna have to undo all those bolts when I need to borrow it Wink
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB posting the Security System details was a risky move. Hopefully its still around when you guys break it in. Razz It did come out very nice and clean looking. Not to mention, built like a brick $h!t house.
Disco
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26 14 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justapod, Thanks man, I appreciate it. I think we all could handle a fire with a cold evening but this wind has got to go. With the 30-43mph winds I feel like Im back in Kansas again. Sorry your shop got broke into, there seems to be a lot of that going on around here lately. Hope you get your toys back, but Im sure your well aware of the chances of that.

Mike, have you actually fallen and hit your head or is it just the cold weather in Texas that's affecting your way of thinking? Wait...don't answer that one! Build another one!?! It took me forever to build the first one let alone throw down another one. And when your ready to try and undo all those bolts let me know, there might be another surprise or two for you lurking around the pit Laughing

AG, Thanks! The pit turned out just like I planned it in my head...which is scary I know. I don't think there will be a problem with this one walking away and the security system was just an added bit of assurance. Most thieves around here are lazy and it would be quite a bit of effort to undo and carry the brick $h!t house off.
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03 14 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Grief Troy... I am not around here that often and when I am I usually just lurk!!!! Rolling Eyes you have created a masterpiece!!!!! That thing is beautiful...... Just Awesome!!!!!!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03 14 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALMOST anyone can build a box. To me this is a great example of lay out, planning and execution. Fantastic build. JFWIW, to me locks are to keep honest people honest, but in this case they will probably keep most aholes honest...
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05 14 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, Thank you very much! Your a top notch fabricator so that coming from you is very much appreciated. I hope all is well with you and yours brother.

Jess, Thank you for the kind words. Im pretty confident the locks will do what they are supposed to, and if not, I don't think a person will expect the weight they will have to lift and run off with. Most thieves around here are just plain to darn lazy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: