FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firebox insulation questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 11:20 pm    Post subject: Firebox insulation questions Reply with quote

So I've got my tank and am now planning the build. I definitely want to insulate the firebox but have a few fundamental questions. First I'm thinking 1/4 plate for both inside and outside walls. Then 1" inbetween? What kind of insulation can I use that won't burn up when the layers are welded together? And are all six sides insulated and double walled??
Code:
CrazyD
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06 14 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at my build you can get a visual for what i'm saying here.

i went with 2" mineral wool insulation. it did not burn up when i welded all my plates together. i used 1/4" inside and out. basically built the box from the inside out. all 6 sides of mine are insulated except for small amount of plate from the inside top to the bottom of where the CC and FB are welded together.

with the 2" insulation and running my cooker at 250-275 and a very small fire to maintaine it, you still dont want to lay your hands on it for any length of time.

IMO go 2" or dont bother. It is a huge amount of work to build and put together an insulated FB and i will honestly say i will never do one again lol.
Pappy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09 14 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also used 2" on the fire box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: