FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fresh Cut Fries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 7:25 pm    Post subject: Fresh Cut Fries Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Been trying to get some fresh cut fries going but having a hard time getting it right!! Embarassed

I use russets and the twice fried method with a lower temp when blanching and increased when final frying., but they don't come as golden crispy as I would like. Oh, using canola oil.

Not bbq for sure but goes great with it...
Any tips would be appreciated,
Thanks
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Cut Fries Reply with quote

Louie wrote:
Hi Folks,
Been trying to get some fresh cut fries going but having a hard time getting it right!! Embarassed

I use russets and the twice fried method with a lower temp when blanching and increased when final frying., but they don't come as golden crispy as I would like. Oh, using canola oil.

Not bbq for sure but goes great with it...
Any tips would be appreciated,
Thanks

Canola oil is good. Peanut oil is better.

180 C is what works the best for us.

Fresh potatoes are a pain, though, as water and sugar content varies. I would go for the consistency of a good frozen product.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try par boiling them first?? Take them to half done, dry and cool, fry to order?!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to use Idahos and when prices sky rocked a few years back we switched to B reds cut with a lemon wedger. When they sog out they are still nice to eat. Hold in water, pre-cook 5 minutes and drop back down for 1 minute to serve. We try to work a couple of baskets ahead. We have two house seasonings, 1 herb blend and one spicy blend that we serve with Chipotle sour cream dipping sauce.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you cut into cold water and allow to soak at least 1 - 1.5 hours, then dry, then fry, then drain, chill and re-fry?

Dry from the cold water bath on cooling racks that have paper towels on them, with enough time to air dry...(keep the water out of your oil).

Fry under 350° 3 - 4 minutes.

Drain on cooling racks, bag and chill, (if you want to get ahead ready for a rush).

Re-fry at 375° until golden brown, crispy outside soft inside!

If you want to freak folks out on the flavor, consider beef fat or duck fat for frying your frites!

I still work here!
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Do you cut into cold water and allow to soak at least 1 - 1.5 hours, then dry, then fry, then drain, chill and re-fry?

Dry from the cold water bath on cooling racks that have paper towels on them, with enough time to air dry...(keep the water out of your oil).

Fry under 350° 3 - 4 minutes.

Drain on cooling racks, bag and chill, (if you want to get ahead ready for a rush).

Re-fry at 375° until golden brown, crispy outside soft inside!

If you want to freak folks out on the flavor, consider beef fat or duck fat for frying your frites!

I would love to use beef lard, if I could find it!!

Yes that's the method for the most part but my temps for blanching are 300, final 350, yours are higher, I'll try that out. Thx
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjbbq wrote:
We use 340 to pre cook and 360-365 to finish. The pre cook takes about 3-4 min. and the crisp takes 1-1.5 min. depending on the condition of the oil.

We punch all the taters out and wash them several times(rinse) and then store them in tubs in water with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning dark(like an apple). Be sure to have them cooled good and dry. It works good to let them sit out for a while and them keep them in the fridge uncovered to help dry them. After they are blanched (pre cooked) They can sit in an open container in the fridge till ready to crisp them. we do about 100lbs a day like this and they are really good.

Sounds good...what type of oil do you use??
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use 340 to pre cook and 360-365 to finish. The pre cook takes about 3-4 min. and the crisp takes 1-1.5 min. depending on the condition of the oil.

We punch all the taters out and wash them several times(rinse) and then store them in tubs in water with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from turning dark(like an apple). Be sure to have them cooled good and dry. It works good to let them sit out for a while and them keep them in the fridge uncovered to help dry them. After they are blanched (pre cooked) They can sit in an open container in the fridge till ready to crisp them. we do about 100lbs a day like this and they are really good.
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White vinegar in the water will help the fry keep its form better. Keeps the fries from breaking up. We have par-boilled with beef base to add flavor, but I still prefer plain.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Burbank Russets" are supposed to be the key to getting decent fries, You need to blanch in oil, let them sit for a long while, then finish as needed.

Good luck, thats why I'm sticking with frozen skin-on 1/4x 5/16th (same as Wendy's fries)
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your replies, I do use a 7/16 skin on frozen fry that's pretty good at the moment. ($35 + at Sysco here)

I thought that fresh cut would be a nice addition (and cheaper) to the menu but it isn't as easy as it looks!!
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD GOD thats a lot of labor!

Sysco Imperial skin on 1\4 $23.40 a case. Like McDonalds but WAY better.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
GOOD GOD thats a lot of labor!

Sysco Imperial skin on 1\4 $23.40 a case. Like McDonalds but WAY better.

merci mon ami!! Wink
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16 14 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the price of potatoes is way up too. The end of January is about when they started to rise last year and they never came down. At least I have local sources for 1/2 the year and buy through a wholesaler a pallet at a time otherwise. I pick up all my taters. Still 12 to 20 dollars for 50 pounds. Pretty much 20 the last year for #1s.
bjbbq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20 14 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure my last invoice was under $17 for a 50lb case of #1s. I can yield over 50 orders of fries per case @ $2.25 per order.

My dishwashers typically punch the potatoes and do the rinse. The cooks will blanch them in batches before meal time. This all done in between all the other prepping duties, so it all makes good sense.

The biggest benefits are these:

1) Fresh tastes better
2) Fast service(1 minute to crisp)
3) Profit
4) Did I mention taste?

I'm getting ready to launch an appetizer menu for the bar and it will feature loaded fries. These have tested well with pulled pork and cheese on top of the fries.

Anyway, I can't go the frozen rout as we have a very small freezer.
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27 14 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, got it figured been cooking them now for a few days. A lot of effort but the product is much better than frozen imho.. same as scratch made Beans... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: