FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help with reheat and hold idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
upnorthjerky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 5:23 am    Post subject: need help with reheat and hold idea Reply with quote

I posted this in the "introduce yourself" area also...hope that's not annoying Smile

Hey everyone!....I joined here primarily to see if I can gain some expertise from y'all regarding this proposition:

We sell smoked meats in outlets. We smoke them all in industrial smokers at our plant and they are a completely finished product.... However in our outlets, we want to create the aroma of the smoking process [to stimulate sales] as well as keep some product warm and heated because it tastes so good that way...just like when it comes out of the smoker originally...so we don't really need cooking to happen...more like reheat and hold without drying out....and when we open the door, some natural smoke would come out and bring that smell into the environment...not afraid to spend some cash on this....in fact a little razz-matazz would be good also ...[glass doors, lights...maybe some cool looking chrome on the exterior....]...any thoughts??

Thanks
Paul
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define outlet. Are we talking a grocery store or a specialty shop? Do you have overall control of your area or are you a vendor looking for a display cabinet of sorts?

I have some ideas, but they might not be workable in all situations.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just going to be keeping them warm do you have the sales to keep them warm for as short a time as possible, or are you going to run into problems holding above 140 for long periods of time?

The other thought would be to hold some available for sale or tasting, and it would be this that was being kept in a warmer and would produce the smell when the door was opened.

For this to happen, do you have control of the whole store? Or just a section in a store, I would expect you to have problems with air quality control.

I still work here!
upnorthjerky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our outlets generally occupy 400-800 sf of an existing store [store inside a store] or are free standing operations....
The area is under complete control...and will be manned and supervised..this is not a self serve or display type cabinet...this unit would be a visual and sensory "centerpiece" to the operation but definitely functional ....would also be out in the customer area most likely so it needs to remain cool on the outside to the touch......

thanks for any help!

-Paul
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how you can do this in a large space without actually burning some wood. Maybe you can put a small pouch of wood chips on the heating element of your warming oven (which is electric?).

Are you also reheating and holding product in foil wraps, or do you unwrap the meat and place it directly into the oven?

I reheat and hold eveything inside foil. Even when we open a foil pouch to serve, the smoke smell is concentrated to that little area. The longer you hold it, the less the smoke smell and flavor will be.

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23 07 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as I do when I can't actually burn wood........get yourself a 'popuri pot' that holds a candle under it. Fill pot with 'liquid smoke' and light candle place out of sight.

You WILL have that WONDERFUL smell of smoke all over the place. You can even place these (out of sight) through out the store.

Marv
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23 07 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvsbbq wrote:
Do as I do when I can't actually burn wood........get yourself a 'popuri pot' that holds a candle under it. Fill pot with 'liquid smoke' and light candle place out of sight.

You WILL have that WONDERFUL smell of smoke all over the place. You can even place these (out of sight) through out the store.

Marv

Making sure you comply with the regs for open flames etc. Of course! Wink

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19 07 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about one of those new reed diffuser's filled with liquid smoke???

no flame, no heat, but all the stink!

how about smoking your clothes in the smoker to infuse the smell into the clothing?? I always stink of smoke & food when I get done playing. and it last for hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: