FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Grill Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Mann

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 6:11 am    Post subject: Gas Grill Recommendation Reply with quote

My wife has given the green light for me to get a gas grill, but my budget is $300 total at this point. The challenge is to find a decent non-disposable grill in my price range. Most of the time I will be cooking for two, veggies and venison kabos, chicken breast, fish on planks. I have had cheaper grills before and we lined the bottom with lava rocks and put shields on important parts, and kept the grills clean and covered all in attempt to stretch the lifespan. Any thoughts from you folks as to good grills that fit this budget? Thanks, Jim mann
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Spirit.
Grill

Hybrid Cooker
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ours was $299. It's Master Forge brand, which is Lowe's store brand, if you have one near you. I don't see the one I have on their website, so maybe it's discontinued.

It has three burners in the main compartment, plus an infrared searing burner and a side burner. Cast iron grates. I cook a lot of steaks, kabobs, and burgers on it. With the three burners you can have different zones of heat.

We've had it for two years now. Only complaint is that the igniter stopped working after the first winter so now I light it with a lighter. The heat is a little uneven, but it's very predictable. Basically it's hottest in the gaps between the heat tents.

If you like steaks on the rare side, definitely look for the searing burner. I use it all the time.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until you can afford a Weber (if you can't find one in your budget on craigslist). You won't worry about replacement parts or durability

Buy a Weber and you won't regret it. You will pay three times the cost on the cheap store brands replacing the more expensive Weber model.

I'm a charcoal guy who works on a Performer. I can get my coals up to speed with a gas jet on it faster than a gas grill with my Harbor Freight weed burner.

That being said, I'd still pick up a Weber gas grill over anything else on the market. Worth every penny.
estewart

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Wait until you can afford a Weber (if you can't find one in your budget on craigslist). You won't worry about replacement parts or durability

Buy a Weber and you won't regret it. You will pay three times the cost on the cheap store brands replacing the more expensive Weber model.

I'm a charcoal guy who works on a Performer. I can get my coals up to speed with a gas jet on it faster than a gas grill with my Harbor Freight weed burner.

That being said, I'd still pick up a Weber gas grill over anything else on the market. Worth every penny.

X2
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Buy a Weber and you won't regret it.

Worth every penny.

+1000

See if you can find an older Genesis in your budget.

Mine is pushing 14 years this summer and other than a click starter and a set of "flavorizer" bars it has been maintenance free.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:

+3.......I'm gas free and don't regret it.
Weber 22.5 Performer
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gas grill is a Weber Spirit.....it is 14 years old and never had a burner replaced and it still has the original ignite r in it.
I have changed the flavor bars in it once....and it is due for a new set....best gas grill I have ever owned.
I know things are made out of cheaper material these days,so I can't promise you will get
the same amount of time out of whatever grill you decide on...good liuck.

Let us know what you decide on.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbellot wrote:
BigOrson wrote:
Buy a Weber and you won't regret it.

Worth every penny.

+1000

I've gone through several gas grills in the $200-400 range and after about 4 years they all break down. After buying my WSM and learning about Weber, I finally broke down and bought a Weber Genesis EP 330.

Weber makes a superior grill. If you're someone who enjoys grilling, it's worth it. I would recomend seeing if you can up your budget, or wait and save up or see if you can find a clean Weber on craigslist. The Genesis is a great line, but I've heard the Spirits although a bit smaller and a bit less in build quality still surpass the other middle of the road grills. Don't waste your money on the stainless steel outsides, they do nothing but look pretty and are a pain to keep clean.

Weber!
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save up for a Weber. My Genesis Silver B is going on 14 years now, with one change of "flavorizer bars". I like the new design that has the burners running front to back rather than side to side--makes for more flexibility of heat zones.

I can hardly wait until I'm forced to buy a new one. Smile
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 01 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Weber Spirit.
Grill

That's a good deal at Home depot. It's the same price as the standard e-210, but this model has the "gourmet bbq system" a grill that allows for a griddle and other inserts to be placed in the grill.
Jim Mann

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 3:59 am    Post subject: Thank you for the input Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I have charcoal and prefer charcoal for my grill and my smoker, but am leery about putting a charcoal grill or smoker on our wooden deck. I have had decent gas grills before that would have to have new components periodically, so this is to be expected in my budget range. I am not sure if I can budget up to a Weber at this time, and did not want to wait another year, but we will see what I can find. Thanks again to everyone.

One last question . We have a Charbroil Infrared grill for sale here at work ( Bass Pro Shops ), and I was wondering if the Infrared Grills are a gimmick or something useful. Jim
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the link I posted for the spirit is only 99.00 above your target price.

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you for the input Reply with quote

Jim Mann wrote:
I have charcoal and prefer charcoal for my grill and my smoker, but am leery about putting a charcoal grill or smoker on our wooden deck.

Jim, I use a Weber One Touch Gold charcoal grill on my wooden deck and I've never had a problem with sparks flying around. Their unique ash catch pot does a wonderful job of containing any falling ashes. As long as you don't fiddle around with it during a cook there shouldn't be any issues. I wait until the next day when everything has been extinguished to empty out the pot.

The 22-1/2" model only goes for $149.00 and the 26-3/4" is $299. So if you buy the 22-1/2" then you'll have a lot of money left over and you can have me over for steak and beer. Mr. Green

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/one-touch/one-touch-gold-225
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read something the other day that Consumer Reports said the best medium-sized gas grill was the Weber Spirit (IIRC - Check their website). It was $300 and it performed much better than others that were twice the price.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A $10 piece of cement board should nullify any issues you have about a Weber charcoal unit on a wooden deck. Not the most sightly of fixes, but good for the price. I run my outdoor fireplace on a 4'x8' sheet of it and have never even had any close calls-even burning twigs from the yard.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 02 14 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nobody has mentioned this, but I'd go with a Weber. Wink

I've got the Spirit from 4 years ago and I'm now green with envy at the new model. It looks REALLY snazzy. My only complaint is the new door which just falls down rather than swinging open, but the rest of the grill just pops and I think they will sell a lot of them. I especially love the new grill with interchangeable center piece which can be a pizza stone, small discada, grill rack, etc.

All Stainless is Not Created Equal

The byproduct of propane burning is water vapor. Water vapor + cheap metal = rust. This is why grills with Chinese stainless (especially the gas nozzles) rust out after about 5 years. I'm surprised more houses haven't burned down actually.

Take a magnet with you to the store and test all the stainless. If you can easily pull the magnet off, then it's cheap stainless with impurities that will rust fast.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 06 14 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to HD, the Spirit is aluminum while the Genesis is steel. The Genesis is a little bigger too... Might affect your magnet results..

LINK!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 12 14 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your $300 limit is about enough to grab a Weber Q 2000 and the folding cart that goes with it. I only grill for 3 of us and I find it large enough for our needs. The grill by itself is only about $230. I picked up the now discontinued Q 220 in January for $199 and later bought the cart and cover. It is portable and uses the one pound propane tanks, which are cheap. They also sell a converter if you want to use regular 20 pound tanks.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: