FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking and driving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiimi62

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 2:33 am    Post subject: Smoking and driving Reply with quote

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice for driving w/ a smoker while it is hot. I plan on calling my local MVA (in Maryland), but thought I'd throw the question out here as well.

I have a pig roaster which is a pretty basic 275 gal oil drum layed on it's side. No firebox or anything, just a pit w/ Volzgang doors on either end and a stack in the middle.

In a couple of weeks I have a pig roast about 20 mi from my house and I was really hoping to start the pig the night before at home and drive it to the event the next day. I need to be at the field several hours before the pig will be done and going home to pick up the pig closer to eating time is not an option. I also need the grill for burgers/dogs after the pig comes off, so I will need it at the field.

Does anyone have experience towing a hot smoker? My plan is to just close down all the vents, make sure all doors are sealed and everything is strapped down. I'm not really that concerned about the travel, more the attention driving w/ a smoking trailier will bring. Especially legal attention. I have seen the Mission BBQ truck around town billowing out smoke. But that rig is a converted Army truck w/ the smoker attached to the bed of the truck, not a trailer.

Anyone have thoughts?
Thanks
blues brother

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulled my stumps smokers while lit. Stumps are very tight smokers so I closed the ball valve almost totally shut. Stopped after 30 min of highway travel to check pit temp. All was good. I also had the ball valve towards the rear of the trailer which reduced air flow.
I think you will be fine.
Stumps Baby
Dutch Ovens
Discos
Fridge
Hot Water
and a Bunk!
Matt Matt

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good question too! I am anxious to here the responses?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion any cooker that the fire area has access to the outside world has no business traveling down the road. In other words if the intakes can allow embers to fly out then its a no go.
These are just my thoughts. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy did exactly that in Texas a couple years ago. He left a trail of roadside grass fires about 10 miles long. That little adventure wound up costing him well over $50,000, as I recall. He, too, thought that he had it all closed up and buckled down.

All in all, I'd say its not a real good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: