FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled Pork Tacos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26 14 7:32 pm    Post subject: Pulled Pork Tacos Reply with quote

I am considering offering a pulled pork soft taco and i was wondering if any of you are offering such items and how much ya get for them. I am trying to make offerings that will set us apart from the other bbq joints in town(there are only 2)and neither are very good.They cook in the big stainless bbq ovens buy didn't get the memo about adding wood for smoke.....lol Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26 14 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about offering your soft tacos with an Asian inspired BBQ sauce? A little soy, a little ginger, a little toasted sesame oil...

JM2C

Edit: If you're the only one smoking your BBQ, then you have already set yourself apart from the others.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26 14 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do them, sell quite a few -I put a regular size portion of PP, chicken or beef and "plop" of drained off beans and a dollop of slaw [ sorry to use such technical terms here...lol] and some nacho cheese on a 10" tortillia, add diced onion and jalapeno upon request [ I dice fresh jalapeno's and do a quick-pickle in ACV to set our japs apart from the masses, Mrs Tony just got me a commercial slammer chopper for Christmas!! $180.00 well spent IMHO ] and send it out the window with a fork as it really is hard to eat the first few bites as its pretty full....We charge $7-$8 depending on venue. We call it a "redneck taco, see-ins how rednecks cant spell bo'-ree-toe" emphasized as spelled....no offense to rednecks intended, I consider myself a northern version..its what I tell people, and they really get a kick out of it Wink Wink Once the first one goes out in a crowd, several orders always follow!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26 14 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vending option that will set you apart from the other BBQ vendors is the "Cowboy Cocktail", also known as a "BBQ Parfait". It's been discussed here on the ring, but not recently (I think Embarassed )

Anyways, it a layered BBQ concoction in a transparent or translucent (cheaper) plastic cup. Baked beans on the bottom, then a layer of pulled pork with a little sauce over it (I like a thinner Carolina style red sauce) and then topped with coleslaw. Very easy to eat as people are walking around the event, and it looks good, too!
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27 14 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a fellow in MemphisMemphis that does the parfait but no one here even offers them that I know of. I have considered doing them as well. Thanks for the input guys !
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26 14 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make PP tacos pretty regularly and they go over good.

I keep it simple and use either a corn or flour tortilla grilled and add the PP un-sauced or lightly sauced. I add a slightly drier than normal slaw on it that also has jicama and jalapenos in it.

A couple different sauces for them to add and thats it.

You can easily add the asain flavors like was mentioned above and have a whole new version with very little work. I have made those also.. used Napa cabbage "slaw" and a doctored hoisen sauce
Kevan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26 14 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a baseball tournament and next to the field was a very large contingent of latino folks playing and watching soccer. There was a food truck there so I had to check it out. They were selling tostadas. I got 3 on a plate, meat a little carrot/cabbage slaw, a very little bit of that dry crumbly mex cheese (Cotija I think) and add your own hot sauce. 7 or 8 bucks on a paper plate with a fork. There was probably less meat on all three tostadas than you would put in one burrito. Real tasty and fun to eat. Easy to make too.
Painless
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23 14 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyChef wrote:
Another vending option that will set you apart from the other BBQ vendors is the "Cowboy Cocktail", also known as a "BBQ Parfait". It's been discussed here on the ring, but not recently (I think Embarassed )

Anyways, it a layered BBQ concoction in a transparent or translucent (cheaper) plastic cup. Baked beans on the bottom, then a layer of pulled pork with a little sauce over it (I like a thinner Carolina style red sauce) and then topped with coleslaw. Very easy to eat as people are walking around the event, and it looks good, too!

Awesome. Thanks, I'm ganna try it for sure.
sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 14 9:04 am    Post subject: hillbilly taco Reply with quote

We call our "cowboy parfaits" Redneck sundaes, same thing, but works for us. I wanted to try and compete with a tamale vendor, so we used the same ingredients, and called it a "hillbilly taco" I use a 8" soft tortilla, pulled pork, bbq sauce, our baked beans, shredded cheese, and top with coleslaw. We sell it for $ 4.00. It is one of our best sellers. You dont have to put a lot of stuff on it to really fill it up, and the profit margins are good.
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 14 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pkerchef

I am not a vendor etc... but we make PP tacos at home that are very simple and people seem to like them , all I do is take un-sauced PP , homemade salsa (tomato,onion,garlic,fine diced jalapeno and cilantro) and lime juice on top....

Good Luck with your PP venture..

Dan
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24 14 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. Pkerchef
danhwright

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 14 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a pulled pork taco (that when I finally get all my HD hurdles out of the way) will be on my menu.
I do un sauced pork, shredded cheddar, a chipotle salsa, topped with slaw all in a fried tortilla.
The plate will be two pulled pork tacos with smoked mozarella black beans for $7.
So far all my taste testers (friends and family) are in love with them. Last get together we had everyone wanted tacos instead of sandwiches.

Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 14 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dan sounds great. Pkerchef
jar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 14 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a pulled pork taco as well as a pulled brisket . I like to keep them simple , 8" tortilla , unsauced meat & fresh pico .
They go over real well @ $4.00 a piece & a drink for $1.00.
High profit item.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: