FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Sausage making and smoking book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 12:26 am    Post subject: Basic Sausage making and smoking book Reply with quote

I am starting to try to make and smoke sausages. I am quite concerned with botulism and when to add some nitrate to combat same. I am most curious about the process and smoking rather than recipes. Anyone recommend a thorough how to book regarding preparing and smoking sausages. I have a KA meat grinder and will be getting the sausage stuffer for it. I am aware of the difficulty of stuffing with the KA some have experienced but have also watched some videos stuffing with it and it seemed to easily fill the casings. Before I invest in a more robust stuffer, I want to try the KA version. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rytek Kutas. Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing 4th Edition, ISBN 978-0-02566860-7. Available at Amazon and has just about everything you need to know in one book.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie is also a fantastic book and a good resource, but I think you'd be better off with the other one first. Ruhlman himself called Lutas' book the best book on the subject out there.

(You might recognize Ruhlman from the Bourdain show that used to be on Travel Channel...they used to hang out a lot).
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kutas is great, not a huge fan of Charcuterie, some major issues with measurements IMHO (ie he uses double the necessary cure in some recipes). The best book I own is Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski ... highly recommend! Not only does it include some amazing recipes but it is very in depth and thorough in regards to the processes, smoke house builds, meat processing, etc. Grab the Rytek Kutas book and this one and you will never need another.

As for the KA as a stuffer ... try it and see if you like making sausages first. Then, after a hell of a long time struggling to stuff, go and buy a vertical 5lb stuffer. I held off for a while before I got one and it is night and day ... a million times easier with the dedicated stuffer and way faster! Most of all have fun and enjoy the top notch sausage you can produce at home.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 10:05 pm    Post subject: Basic Sausage making and smoking book Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great input. Will go for the Kutas book. I have looked at the 5 lb. stuffer with metal gears. Seems many have problems stripping the plastic gears. Am sorely tempted to just jump in and get that big stuffer, however, my kitchen is so full now that to find some space, I would have to throw something else out. Will try the KA stuffer first. If I get crazy and get into sausage making, will go for the big stuffer. I am cooking for a block party on Sunday, and downloaded Jeepdads recipe for pulled pork. Going to smoke two butts all night with my Brinkman offset and Rock Stoker. This will be my first attempt at an all nighter and also pulled pork. Looking forward to this Herculean attempt.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07 14 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kutas seems to be more for the commercial producer, it seemed that he liked a ton of chemical additions to his product.

There is a great sausage website with a heavy polish accent to it that has great info, I forgot their name though.

can anyone link to it please
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Kutas seems to be more for the commercial producer, it seemed that he liked a ton of chemical additions to his product.

There is a great sausage website with a heavy polish accent to it that has great info, I forgot their name though.

can anyone link to it please

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/

Here is the site Harry. I mentioned the Marianski book above, the best I own (better than Kutas as it is more for the home maker as you mentioned), this site is run by the Marianski duo. You can find a lot of info on that site that is also in the book.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to have to look for the Marianski book myself (bookmarked the website already). Initial post mentioned additives and that is what brought the book I suggested to mind. I've got a number of books on sausage making, but since the question was about curing additives and safety, the Kutas tome seemed most appropriate.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08 14 9:29 pm    Post subject: Basic Sausage making and smoking book Reply with quote

Wow. What a great website. Thanks.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15 14 3:49 am    Post subject: Sausage Making Reply with quote

I received Great Sausage Making...... 4th Edition by Rytek Kutas yesterday from Amazon. Halfway thru it, and I have to say what a terrific book on sausage making it is. Has answered a number of questions for me and will make my sausage attempts far safer. In any event, thanks to all for recommending this book. Now will have to buy a LEM grinder and stuffer.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14 14 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that website.....good variety
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15 14 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a little political upheaval over at wedlinydomowe.com with moderators and stuff. Overall it is a great website with a LOT of good info, but IMHO it is a little disorganized and hard to navigate if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

You should still check it out and spend some time there. I will say that there are many great recipes right here too if you search for them.

I definitely need to get Marianski's and Kutas' books this fall.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: