FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Intake Sizing - Electric Sausage Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reddog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 14 7:43 pm    Post subject: Air Intake Sizing - Electric Sausage Smoker Reply with quote

Well, as luck would have it, my warming cabinet smoker build has now changed to a sausage smoker that can't be taken much over 170 degrees because of the discovery of blue styrofoam as the insulation throughout. The interior dimensions are 18wx 27d x 42 t. I have installed a 3" vent at the top, but I am wondering what size intake should be installed. I was going to go with 2" ball valve when I was going to be burning charcoal and wood. I've never used an electrical element smoker before and I don't have any idea of the size of the air intake. I just know I need enough for some draft to get wood chips smoldering, but still clean. Note that I also have no experience with smoking sausages, but I've collected all of the equipment to do so and I've done some research on the process, but the operation of this smoker is the last piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for any advice.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 14 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrical smokers do not typically employ an air intake because you are not trying to maintain a burning fire.

An exhaust vent is needed simply to vent the moisture out during the very critical first stages of smoking cured products.
Reddog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 14 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry. I was concerned that the smoke would be too acrid without makeup air. I would love not having to drill another hole through this stainless box. What a pain, not to mention blowing through hole saws.

I am hoping to get to your place on Saturday night after brushing out some deer stands in Tomahawk. What time would we have to get there before everything sells out? I've heard many good things, but I haven't made it there yet.

Thanks,
Tony
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reddog wrote:
Thanks Harry. I was concerned that the smoke would be too acrid without makeup air. I would love not having to drill another hole through this stainless box. What a pain, not to mention blowing through hole saws.

I am hoping to get to your place on Saturday night after brushing out some deer stands in Tomahawk. What time would we have to get there before everything sells out? I've heard many good things, but I haven't made it there yet.

Thanks,
Tony

We shouldn't be running out of anything this time of year, summer is a different story though.
The prime rib is ready no later than 2:30, and we've been blowing through that rather quickly, but not enough call to warrant more roasts than I am already cooking, that may change though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: