FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone, besides myself,

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imafishingfred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone, besides myself, noticed that it's k.a.m.'s way or it's just wrong? I thought this was a forum for everyone to share an opinion, and not to say that everyone's opinion is wrong.
Quote:

Yoda has spoken.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imafishingfred wrote:
Has anyone, besides myself, noticed that it's k.a.m.'s way or it's just wrong? I thought this was a forum for everyone to share an opinion, and not to say that everyone's opinion is wrong.

I shared my opinion in this thread.
Not once did I in any of my posts say that was wrong to put guards on your doors, I did ask the question "why?"
Forum members ask questions I reply with my opinion, what forum members do with this information is totally up to them.
Forum members as well as folks that do not understand the calculator or have problems with their cooker ask me questions in P.M.'s and emails. My email is attached to Feldons calculator per request of Morgan Feldon. I help folks all over the world with their cookers. They have a choice with the advice I give them use it or not, it does not hurt my feelings in the least if they choose to go another route.

For your information imafishingfred, the "Yoda has spoken" is a joke that if you were around long enough would know that Trailerbuilder, Wreckless and few other members started calling me long ago. It is a joke among friends, it was in Wreckess's post nowhere else.

When folks ask questions about their cooker not working I respond with over 30 years of building cookers and fixing folks problem cookers for them either by email, P.M. or one on one here at my shop. I never respond to a thread with out knowing the answer that I feel will fix it. What the person does with this is totally up to them.
I hope this helps. Very Happy
Enjoy the rest of your weekend imafishingfred.

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Quote:
I shared my opinion in this thread.
Not once did I in any of my posts say that was wrong to put guards on your doors, I did ask the question "why?"
Forum members ask questions I reply with my opinion, what forum members do with this information is totally up to them.
Forum members as well as folks that do not understand the calculator or have problems with their cooker ask me questions in P.M.'s and emails. My email is attached to Feldons calculator per request of Morgan Feldon. I help folks all over the world with their cookers. They have a choice with the advice I give them use it or not, it does not hurt my feelings in the least if they choose to go another route.

For your information imafishingfred, the "Yoda has spoken" is a joke that if you were around long enough would know that Trailerbuilder, Wreckless and few other members started calling me long ago. It is a joke among friends, it was in Wreckess's post nowhere else.

When folks ask questions about their cooker not working I respond with over 30 years of building cookers and fixing folks problem cookers for them either by email, P.M. or one on one here at my shop. I never respond to a thread with out knowing the answer that I feel will fix it. What the person does with this is totally up to them.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend imafishingfred.

Yet another Spot On by the k.a.m. D Man a.k.a. Yoda Very Happy Or as your little bud Braden would say...That was Money Wink
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a lot of good info from KAM and others on her about building my smokers. It's info that's been spot on due to all their experience over the years. I still built them my way with their info. KAM is a mountain of information on smoker builds, metal fab. and BBQ in general. The Smoke Ring has a bunch of KAMs and that's what makes these forums work. Very Happy Very Happy
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. gives some of the greatest value for the money in the site.

He's nearly as old as Methuselah, and has built and cooked on a whole load more smokers, grills and cookers than Methuselah ever did!

Yoda is somewhat short, and is very knowledgeable... k.a.m. got the nickname for the similarities between them!

imafishingfred wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
Why do you want the guard?
I personally have never seen a need for them other than looks.

I personally think they not only look good but add protection to your gauges.
Maybe someone should start a poll.
Guard
or
No Guard

Still would like to know how you guys posted the pics above.

You are able to start a poll if you want to, on your next thread, (not next post, your next thread), choose the "poll" option at the bottom of the thread initial post, it gives you all those options.

If you want a poll, post one!

k.a.m. wrote:

I will agree with the they look good option, but protection from what?
To post pics here on the ring you need a host like photobucket.
The pics need to be no larger than 640 x 480 or SoEzzy will break the link.
Here is a link to a tutorial.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4096

Here is another that may help.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47314

Oh look, k.a.m. still being helpful with information yet again... I really haven't worked out what that character flaw in his personality is, that makes him want to help anyone out, with his knowledge, experience, insight and opinions!

imafishingfred, good luck with your build!

I still work here!
whiteboycustom
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imafishingfred wrote:
Quote:

Yoda has spoken.

Nope, it's just you......in my opinion you're just wrong

Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imafishingfred wrote:
Quote:

Yoda has spoken.

To answer your query; No...I've never noticed that it's K.A.M.'s
way or it's just wrong. As a matter of fact-In my almost Ten Years as a member in good standing of The Smoke Ring Forums, I can personally state that K.A.M. NEVER stated that it was" His way or just wrong."

You are correct in thinking that these Forums were created for everyone here to share an opinion. You are certainly incorrect if you are implying that K.A.M. stated that "Everyone's Opinion is Wrong."

I can go on to document K.A.M.'s contributions to this forum and ESPECIALLY his Personal involvement with others, both here and abroad who have sought his valued opinions on matters that have touched not only on Barbecue and Welding but also his passion to help others in need.

These contributions speak for themselves for the Years that this Mountain of Experience and Information has been here.

Needless to say, there are many here who value K.A.M.'s opinions. He is an Honest man of Integrity and down to Earth everyday common sense and simple values of life.

I am, Foremost, One of those many.

As for "Yoda Has Spoken." Here is a captive Pic of K.A.M. in His Early Years..

Welcome to The Smoke Ring Forums...Live an Learn.
Wink

Best Regards,
Tony
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="k.a.m."][quote="Wreckless"]
dmike25 wrote:

k.a.m. wrote:
I cannot ever remember doing anything around my cookers that endangered the therms.

Wreckless wrote:
A misjudged Pirouette by the shop forklift took out one of my bud Jimbo's WIP smoker thermos recently

This falls under the heading of "Know your equipment before operating it"
Also "Be aware of your surroundings before operating machinery"
If a therm guard would have been in place most likely it would have been destroyed along with the therm.
This would have you building a new therm guard especially if you have two on the cooker. Because we all know having one protected and one not just isn't cool looking. Wink Razz Laughing
Yoda has spoken. Laughing

But what about the next time it gets bashed with a forklift? Forget that, I am installing anti forklift bashing guards on cookers from now on. Proper operation of a forklift is just way too much to expect. I am sure this exact problem has happened to many more Ringers here.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01 14 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imafishingfred wrote:
Quote:

Yoda has spoken.

I see just a small typo here in this statement. Please allow me to act as an auto correct here. It should read..."Has anyone, besides myself, noticed that it's k.a.m.'s way or it's PROBABLY just wrong?" Much like k.a.m., I am just here to help other Smokering Brothers as best I can for love of the craft. The old phrase about knowing " Shyte from Shynola" comes to mind. I am currently, after quite a few years here on the "Ring", and more than a few fine builds under my own belt, still under the impression that k.a.m. aka "Yoda" has a VERY good comprehension of the difference in the two. I might add, so do I. I have chosen to listen and learn, it's been all up to me what I have done with it. Good stuff for those that may choose to listen, or....not. I saw the choice made right off with a previous post here, maybe 2 or 3 elsewhere even. Wreckless has spoken! Cool
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03 14 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i must chime in... Although i am a member here i lurk mostly..... I had the privilege prolly 3 years ago to get to meet Kam... Via the internet.... ( never have personally met him) but will one day i assure you.... My 1st impression of Kam was this... A humble man with a wealth of knowledge... That is more than willing to share it for free....anytime... Now if you want someone that will tell you what you want to hear and tickle your ears.... Run Run Run... He aint tha man .... But if you want someone who will share his experience.. And knowledge.... He is the man!!!!! I call him friend because he is.... I have been a fabricator for 35 years but had no cooker experience.... That has changed.... Kam helped me out many times... And freely gave me his ### answered questions as absurd and goofy as they might have been.... Thx brother... And yes i still communicate with him... He recently helped me design a cooker that will hold 1000#s of meat.... The guy loves it and it performs outrageously good.... Here are a few pics of what Kams help turned us into.... Business is very good with a 3 month backlog all the time.....

Yep ol Kam is as good as they come.....
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03 14 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great testimonial TuscaloosaQ, and some awesome looking cookers Very Happy I remember watching a couple of the builds. I do notice that there are no guards over or around the therms in any of them. Speaking of your builds, there is one that caught my eye since it looks to be similar to what I'm working on
TuscaloosaQ wrote:

If that build is on the ring, I don't remember seeing it. If it is, let me know and I'll find it. If it's not, I've got some some questions about it.
Thanx,
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04 14 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life gets so busy and I have become a lurker here and don't post much anymore. I would like to chime in.

If a written opinion translates to someone being right or wrong, I would call it a learning curve for both parties. Typed opinions on an online forum like this one can be limited to someones ability to fully explain and another persons ability to fully understand. There is a chance reading things someone has written rather than hearing them with intended emotion can lead to poor communication intended or not. I also personally know Kevin and trust and respect his opinion even though we don't always agree! Cool

My opinion is I like the therm guards, but I have never had a need for them. Also, I have damaged a pair of gauges, but it was from a grease fire Embarassed
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04 14 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmike25 wrote:
Great testimonial TuscaloosaQ, and some awesome looking cookers Very Happy I remember watching a couple of the builds. I do notice that there are no guards over or around the therms in any of them. Speaking of your builds, there is one that caught my eye since it looks to be similar to what I'm working on
TuscaloosaQ wrote:

that cooker is not online.... but I will try and ask any question you have..... Although I do this as a business.... I have nothing to hide.... what was freely given to me ...... I freely give back......

If that build is on the ring, I don't remember seeing it. If it is, let me know and I'll find it. If it's not, I've got some some questions about it.
Thanx,
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04 14 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Ron wrote:
Life gets so busy and I have become a lurker here and don't post much anymore.

Great to hear from you Ron, it's been a while. I hope all is well!

Big Ron wrote:
There is a chance reading things someone has written rather than hearing them with intended emotion can lead to poor communication intended or not.

Amen brother. It takes me an hour to type what I could say in 30 seconds or less, and when I'm done it usually doesn't say just what I meant. It's hard for me to put what I would say to you face to face into written word.

Big Ron wrote:
I like the therm guards, but I have never had a need for them. Also, I have damaged a pair of gauges, but it was from a grease fire Embarassed

As far as the original post subject, don't guess the guards would have made any difference in that situation

Bye the way, I'm about out of HOH. Should I order now or wait for a sale that's about to happen Wink
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04 14 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, and great to hear from you and all is very well. I am planning a BOGO (buy one get one) after winter, but likely it will be to move more Big Ron's BBQ sauce. Thanks again for the repeat business!
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
imafishingfred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05 14 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say I'm sorry to Mike for turning your post into a topic that had nothing to do with your original question. You got a few replies to your question with some great ideas. You never ask for opinions of whether to have them or not, and if I thought guards were not needed and were useless, I simply would not have replied.
While I'm sure guards won't protect the thermo's from everything that could happen, I believe they would at least help protect against careless family members and friends. I always figure, if it can happen, it will probably happen to me.
Big Ron, I totally agree. I must have read some of the opinions and interpreted them as negativity.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: