FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Greatest thing since sliced bread?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 29 Jul 2010
Posts: 3981
Location: Smyrna, Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 7:10 am    Post subject: Greatest thing since sliced bread? Reply with quote

Picked up one of these at the store the other day and it works great -





Nothing fancy - It's just plastic wrap with a cutter, but it works really well. The wrap 'sticks' to the cutter bar, so it cuts easy and stays flat. Plus it wasn't expensive - Under $4. Thought I'd share this because I get so damn frustrated trying to wrap things Laughing

http://www.aepinc.com/retail/
_________________
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jeepdad
BBQ All Star


Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 5566
Location: Stafford, Virginia (Transplanted Tarheel)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother, I completely understand. Nice.

--Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ckone
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 2451
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to buy the commercial rolls of plastic wrap from the restaurant supply store. I have found that the Costco brand works well too.
_________________
22.5 Weber Kettle
OK Joe
The Bubba Keg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3142
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's what I need to cut down the anxiety level over here. Every time I try to cut a piece of plastic wrap using the cheapo cutter on the side of the box it turns into a cussin' and fussin' session. Laughing
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tony
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 3482
Location: Rehoboth Beach ,Delaware

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
Maybe that's what I need to cut down the anxiety level over here. Every time I try to cut a piece of plastic wrap using the cheapo cutter on the side of the box it turns into a cussin' and fussin' session. Laughing


Yup... ^^^^^^What Mike Said X 1,000 Exclamation ^^^^^^^

After reading the company product blurb, I noticed that their Corporate HQ is only about 5-6 miles from me:

(95 Chestnut Ridge Road, Montvale, NJ 07645 )

Gonna' Look into this one PRONTO!

Thank You Brother Jeff! Wink Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
_________________
LIAR # 84
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star


Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 13547
Location: Mississauga ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i agree ......Plastic wrap can make you curse.....alot. Laughing
I buy the big Kirkland brand box from Costco with the slide cutter.
The box is heavy so you can pull it out with two hands
right over whatever it is you are trying to wrap...slide the cutter and the wrap will stay on the cutting bar
for ease of use the next time.
We use alot of cling wrap in the house....I write the date on the box when i open it.....
have gotten more than two years out of a roll. Very Happy
_________________
Horizon Offset (Marshall RD Special)
30 " Electric Masterbuilt(Digital)
Large BGE
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoEzzy
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 13183
Location: SLC, UT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 14 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 1/2 of the best thing since sliced bread IMO, and here's the why!

It's all fine and dandy when it's new or even 3 or 4 months old, but after being stuffed in a draw, removed then shoved back in the draw, the box breaks down, and then you are fighting not only the recalcitrance of cling wrap, but a messed up box at the same time, and if cling wrap strains your brain, the screwed up box will twist your brain stem into a pretzel.

I hate the price, but I applaud the construction on these http://chefmall.com/kenkut3dispenserfor12-18inchfilmfoil.aspx use for foil, sarran wrap, or parchment / wax paper!
_________________
Here's a change Robert.

I still work here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tony
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 3482
Location: Rehoboth Beach ,Delaware

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 14 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLUVA Thread, I'll tell 'Ya! Cool

Being a backyard cooker, but still using a goodly amount of foil and plastic wrap I never knew until now that this product area even existed! Shocked

So, It's down to Restaurant Depot (And Costco) for me to search out the goods...Both Joints within 10 minutes of my shack! Cool

SoEzzy - Looks like it's worth its' weight in ...FOOD! Laughing
Thanks for that link! Buy it once...Have it Forever. (Maybe) Laughing

Any other comments on clear wrap,clean cut dispensers,etc. ?

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
_________________
LIAR # 84
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoEzzy
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 13183
Location: SLC, UT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 14 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that bought them for foil, sarran wrap and parchment paper, he's had them for at least the 8 years that I've know him, and they are holding up well still, definitely worth it over the long term, just a little sticker shock for the initial purchase. Shocked Sad Shocked
_________________
Here's a change Robert.

I still work here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ckone
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 2451
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31 14 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
HELLUVA Thread, I'll tell 'Ya! Cool

Being a backyard cooker, but still using a goodly amount of foil and plastic wrap I never knew until now that this product area even existed! Shocked

So, It's down to Restaurant Depot (And Costco) for me to search out the goods...Both Joints within 10 minutes of my shack! Cool

SoEzzy - Looks like it's worth its' weight in ...FOOD! Laughing
Thanks for that link! Buy it once...Have it Forever. (Maybe) Laughing

Any other comments on clear wrap,clean cut dispensers,etc. ?

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy


I have been around several of those aftermarket boxes. Commercially, they don't last. It is odd, but somehow the cardboard boxes the wrap comes in last longer. Of course most boxes of plastic wrap in the kitchens I have been in are reinforced with duct tape. Just have to hope no one leaves it sitting under a heat lamp or by the stove. (all the wrap melts together)

Not sure what bugs me more, the melted plastic wrap or the foil that is dented together.
_________________
22.5 Weber Kettle
OK Joe
The Bubba Keg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmike25
BBQ Pro


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 653
Location: Colorado Springs (sometimes)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Yes i agree ......Plastic wrap can make you curse.....alot. Laughing
I buy the big Kirkland brand box from Costco with the slide cutter.
The box is heavy so you can pull it out with two hands
right over whatever it is you are trying to wrap...slide the cutter and the wrap will stay on the cutting bar
for ease of use the next time.
We use alot of cling wrap in the house....I write the date on the box when i open it.....
have gotten more than two years out of a roll. Very Happy


^^^^^ What CB Said ^^^^^ Very Happy
I have put the date on the box as well, but we only got a year out of it Laughing
_________________
Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan


Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 313
Location: Pontotoc Ms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
It's only 1/2 of the best thing since sliced bread IMO, and here's the why!

It's all fine and dandy when it's new or even 3 or 4 months old, but after being stuffed in a draw, removed then shoved back in the draw, the box breaks down, and then you are fighting not only the recalcitrance of cling wrap, but a messed up box at the same time, and if cling wrap strains your brain, the screwed up box will twist your brain stem into a pretzel.

I hate the price, but I applaud the construction on these http://chefmall.com/kenkut3dispenserfor12-18inchfilmfoil.aspx use for foil, sarran wrap, or parchment / wax paper!


I have one of these kenkut dispensers and i love it. I think mine uses the 24 inch rolls . Pkerchef
_________________
Bubba Grills 250 Reverse Flow With Rib Box
Refridgasmoker
Weber Kettle
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 1168
Location: Uxbridge, MA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago we bought the industrial sized roll from BJ's that had a sliding cutter built in. Loved the convenience and it lasted forever. I think the box started to fall apart before we ran out of wrap.
_________________
Chris from Uxbridge,MA
Kingsford barrel grill with offset smoker
Weber Silver B gasser
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group