FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you rather

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 5:18 am    Post subject: Would you rather Reply with quote

After several years of wanting a grinder and stuffer...LEM came through. Anyway, with regard to making your sausage (whatever kind you make) would you rather use your own seasonings or use a seasoning kit - such as High Mountain, etc. If using a kit and going to all the trouble to grind, stuff, etc. something gets lost in the do it yourself category. However, that is just me. Am I missing something or just being too much of a purist? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got into sausage making and ended up with a LEM grinder and stuffer, also. I have tried commercial mixes and am happier with recipes I have found on the internet. I am currently trying to make jerky. I had a Brinkman Cimarron offset and recently purchased a Cookshack electric smoker for the low temps required for sausages. A bit on the expensive side but certainly worth it. Read all about less expensive smokers and didn't want the hassle. That's my two cents.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 15 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Camper Bob.......I have tried some of the premixes, but I prefer to make my own. There are many good recipes on this site and several others. I find that the premixes taste manufactured. I can't be sure, but there are probably some things in those mixes to prolong shelf life that change the flavor profile.

However, all that said, if you like the premixes, go for it! Do what you like to do.......You will find your preference.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 15 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my thinking as well...if one is going to go through all the trouble of grinding, resting the meat etc., using a premix is just using somebody else's work.
LEM - .75 hp #12 & 15 lb stuffer
Homemade smokehouse in my tobacco barn
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 15 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make all our own formulas, I have never tried premix, so I got nothing to compare it to.

I will recommend a cheap electric coffee bean grinder to grind your spices with, those work great for sausage spices to get them to a fine powder
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 15 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the grinder...used to grind my coffee beans. But Keurig took care of that. Which is kind of ironic or hypocritical in light of my original question. That Keurig takes cups that are premeasured and adds the proper amount of water to make my cups of coffee. Guess the diff is I don't care nor do I want to take the time to figure out the nuances of coffee. Just put in the K cup, hit the button and the coffee is there in 30 seconds. But, yeah, I have the grinder.
LEM - .75 hp #12 & 15 lb stuffer
Homemade smokehouse in my tobacco barn
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 15 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always made my own, taking inspiration from the recipes of others.
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 15 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to make my own spice mixes. I Feel it gives me more ability to experiment and tweak the recipes to my liking.
There are tons of good recipes on the forum, but this is probably the book I use the most.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1580081592/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1424538864&sr=8-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: