FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some equipment advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 11:20 am    Post subject: Need some equipment advise Reply with quote

Hey gents, long time reader in the sausage forum as I have been making summer sausage with my dad for years. We use venison and pork. He has all the sausage making equipment a guy could need. However as I've moved away from home and no longer get to go home and hunt due to work, I really miss making sausage and am looking at getting some equipment of my own mostly for fresh links instead of summer sausage tho. Thinking about 10lb batches

I'm wondering about these grinders u see out there for say 70-100 dollars. What are your thoughts???

Also did some checking at a local sports big box store. They have an LEM SS 5lb stuffer for 150. U think the 5lb version is worth it or save and get the 15lb version?

Thanks for ur input fellas!

Modified ECB
UDS
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the LEM 5lb stuffer, and am very happy with it. I mostly do 5-10lb batches, and if I need to refill the stuffer, it's not really a big deal. Plus because its smaller than the 15lb, it fits nicely in the bottom drawer in the kitchen with the rest of its components

I've been using this grinder for a few years, and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/STX-INTERNATIONAL-STX-3000-MF-Megaforce-Patented/dp/B005F55EUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425963213&sr=8-1&keywords=megaforce+grinder

Others may have models that fall into the price range you stated that they're perfectly happy with, but this is the only electric grinder I've used, and I really like it.

You may want to go with the 5 lb stuffer and invest more money in a grinder that'll power though semi frozen hunks of meat without giving you grief.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringrizz,

Here's the grinder I have, and it is more than enough for 10 pound batches. I wouldn't want to do whole animals, but it is fine for small batches. I bought every size plate for it as well.

http://smile.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Watt-Electric-Grinder/dp/B004PHUMRU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425997755&sr=8-4&keywords=lem+grinder

Here is the stuffer I have, only difference being mine has the stainless steel stuffing tubes and was $149:

http://smile.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Vertical-Sausage/dp/B000SQDTRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425997852&sr=8-1&keywords=lem+stuffer

It's a pretty big price jump to the 15 pound stuffer, so I'm content with this for now. Unless you are a commercial operator, you will be fine with the cheaper stuff I think.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12 15 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. got a birthday coming up so I'm thinking a grinder, stuffer, and case of butts should be on my list.

Modified ECB
UDS
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14 15 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lem grinder (number Cool and the 5 lb stuffer and love both. Probably out of your price range but be sure and note on their site that if you buy 2 item or 3 items they will discount the price. Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: