FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tile questions......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11 15 7:47 pm    Post subject: Tile questions...... Reply with quote

We are looking into getting some new flooring of some sort. Kinda ruled out wood flooring Crying or Very sad .....due to we always have a dog and they can scratch the flooring if not careful. More carper....maybe.....but the wood looking tile is what Im kinda leaning towards.

So here is my question. What is the difference in the tile and whats a good tile? Ceramic, porcelain .....ect....... We had a very reputable flooring company that was supposed to get with us in March and no word from them yet.....so moving on.

Thanks , Hotdog
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12 15 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A newer option in flooring that bridges the gap between sheet vinyl (or squares) and hardwood is 'Vinyl Plank Flooring'. It's basically a resilient vinyl cut into planks. Common sizes are 6x36 and 7.5x48. It's laid in a pattern similar to wood, but it's glue-down vinyl. There are a lot of patterns and styles and some of it is really sharp looking. It's a newish product, but the big players (Shaw, Armstrong, etc) have been making vinyl for a long time, so I don't see reliability being an issue. Should run around $4-$6 a square foot installed (Using quality materials).
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12 15 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummmmm.......Ill look into that.

Thanks, Hotdog
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12 15 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider with tile is that it is hard. I have tile in my kitchen, and breakfast area and can't stand to stand on it. It makes my knees hurt, and my mother has complained about it doing the same to her. I want it gone so bad but no money in budget to do so yet.

The rest of my house has laminate "wood" flooring. Easier on the the body cause it has some padding and give to it. But it stands up just fine to the 35lb and 75lb dogs running around on it.

Now of course my house is built on a concrete slab so there is no give under the floor. If you have some give to your subfloor then tile might not be as hard on you. I also stand all day for a living so that might factor in to my displeasure with the tile.

I have seen floors like what Bugs is talking about, they do look pretty good.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12 15 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister bought me a gel mat big enough to cover my prep area. It saves my feet and joints. Tile floors are ideal, as long as you keep the grout sealed if it is a light color. That mat is 3X4 and fits right where I prep.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12 15 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coworker just had tile put in their home. They chose tile that looks like wood flooring, I have not seen it but they love it.
Good luck with your search and keep us posted. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13 15 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I feel like an idiot. I need to pay more attention to what a post actually says sometimes Embarassed You wanted info on tile. Well, here's my $.03 (inflation and all Laughing ) - Ceramic tile is coated with a color/pattern glaze and fired, so the glazing is susceptible to chipping. Porcelain is a solid color, so if it chips the color doesn't change. Porcelain is also much harder than ceramic and it's usually 'Rectified', which means it's been re-cut to exacting dimensions after firing, which makes for a more uniform floor with tighter grout joints. There are screen-printed porcelain tiles available that have a pattern printed on them. If you chip those (highly unlikely) the base color still comes through, but the pattern will be gone in that area.

Laminate (Pergo, etc) is a good option if you have pets, but the lifespan is generally 10-15 years. It's considered a floor covering, similar to carpet, as opposed to flooring, like wood or tile.

FWIW - I'm in the camp that friggin hates tile floors in kitchens. They're easy cleanup, but hard on the body. Plus anything dropped is guaranteed to break vs wood or vinyl being a little softer.

I hope this helps Laughing Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13 15 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS ALL Very Happy

Buggs thats what I was curious about.....sometimes to much info on the net and I just get more confused. Sales people dont know or they tell you what they think you want to here about a product Rolling Eyes . Thats why I posted here......no one had any thing to gain or lose and bbqers are helpfully Very Happy

Thanks again all.....
Hotdog
71ragtop
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 15 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like tile go with the porcelain it will hold up to years of abuse. But like was said don't drop anything or it will shatter. I have 18" in my kitchen and love it. Also have to be careful when wet slippery as an ice rink with bare feet.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20 15 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Dog,

I just built a house and we have this product in it:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/plp?flooringType=Hardwood&filter=construction:engineered

It is an engineered hardwood. Is a plywood product and about as thick. Was told that it should hold up nicely and better than carpet, as we have a dog too. It is priced between ceramic and carpet. It is less than a full hardwood product.

So far we are happy, other than it shows pet hair more than carpet and requires more sweeping, etc.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 15 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with the tile look into doing it yourself. I have done several ceramic tile floors and just learned on my own and with help from a friend who had done one. For me it is not a job I would want to do for a living however once every several years it is worth the effort as labor rates are pretty high. If your room is square it is even better. You can get by with a cheap $50.00 wet saw from Lowes or HD for something that you might only use a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: