FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly abatement, what'chu using that works?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18 14 10:17 am    Post subject: Fly abatement, what'chu using that works? Reply with quote

I have tried light traps with glue traps, they did not catch a single fly, they got little gnats and stuff, but not one single buzzing black "pain in my arse" fly.

I have got sticky traps in my dry storage area, they catch flies, but not as actively as I'd like.

On Sunday nights, when everything is put away and we are closed for 48 hours, I have used "Raid Max" fumigators with great success, they produce a smoke instead of a mist, but within a few short hours of opening, we are loaded with flies again due to people holding the door open while waiting in line to order.

I want one of these, http://www.paraclipse.com/Terminator.asp
but I am concerned that it'll be as useless as the other traps that I tried, does anyone have one of these? Does it work well for you

Webstaurant store has them way cheaper, but still $300.00

Sysco used to carry a great contact insecticide that was approved for food processing facilities, but they went to ecolab & keystone products, and both of those versions blow.
The old sysco stuff would drop them out of the air, and if they landed on a treated surface, they would fall over dead rapidly. And it was food safe. It lasted 3 days on surfaces.

Do not try granular fly bait available at most hardware stores, it stinks unbelievably horrid, I tried it by my dumpster, and it smelled worse than the dumpster!!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18 14 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "Raid Botanical gardens" says its kitchen safe....that and a fly strip that is a 100" [?] roll x 1' wide fly strip available at Fleet Farm in the horse section Shocked Try putting out a pan of bleach water...they love that chit and will drown themselves in it! Cool Lately, my freaking sanitize water seems to fill with them! Confused Confused
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18 14 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ol' time remedy is the bag of water hung above the door. That might not be your thing but check it out anyway;

http://www.waycooldogs.com/a-ziplock-bag-of-water-and-4-pennies-no-flies/
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18 14 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
An ol' time remedy is the bag of water hung above the door. That might not be your thing but check it out anyway;

http://www.waycooldogs.com/a-ziplock-bag-of-water-and-4-pennies-no-flies/

I've heard that works near outdoor dining tables,

We are at the end of our fly season due to hard freezes at night this last week.
Being on a lake doesn't help either.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19 14 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quart mason jar filled with water & 3-4 bright pennies hung at different levels will keep flies away for 20-25'...
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19 14 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a air curtain at my back door. We use silver sticky tubes from restaurant depot and they work best at lower heights. A bit gross in the front of the house though. We make sure to keep the dumpster closed and I pour a gallon of bleach in it after they empty it at least every other time. Fall is always the worst! I can't wait for a hard frost. Just missed us a few days ago. I grew up on a farm and the flies would cover the screens of our house. We would bomb there, as you mentioned, from time to time. Customers and the health dept don't want to see flies puking up germs in the restaurant for sure.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20 14 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I have used traps like the one you listed and they worked OK. I also did plain ol sticky traps inside, granuales and bait traps outside, and had air curtains on all my doors. Still had flies.
Lester Flatts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24 14 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Foods carries a Pureforce product, Fly Bug Eliminator Spray, 1929751. Citric acid, food safe, kills on contact. That and a good swatter.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25 14 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester Flatts wrote:
US Foods carries a Pureforce product, Fly Bug Eliminator Spray, 1929751. Citric acid, food safe, kills on contact. That and a good swatter.

I believe a swatter is a citable offense in most jurisdictions.
I hung a UV zapper in my dry storage room durinmg our closed days, (also not allowed) and it has taken down the amount of flies nicely
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Try putting out a pan of bleach water...they love that chit and will drown themselves in it! Cool Lately, my freaking sanitize water seems to fill with them! Confused Confused

Bleach water didn't attract any, I had 2 Iced Tea urns filled with bleach water to get rid of the tea stains out on the counter for the last 2 days, not a single fly in either one.

Its getting chillier here, so fly season is coming to an end soon, not soon enough though.

The only thing working is fly tape, but I cannot have those in customer viewable areas, it would be way too tacky (no pun intended)
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04 14 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flies should be gone here tomorrow, snow tonight!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04 14 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
Flies should be gone here tomorrow, snow tonight!

Yup, got about 1/2" here, all mostly melted though.

I'm not ready for this stuff
The Midnight Smoker BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30 15 1:07 am    Post subject: Looking for an update on Harry's Fly problem Reply with quote

So Harry what did you eventually do? Did you get the Paraclipse and if so does it work well?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for an update on Harry's Fly problem Reply with quote

The Midnight Smoker BBQ wrote:
So Harry what did you eventually do? Did you get the Paraclipse and if so does it work well?

At close every night, I walk backwards spraying a can of food-safe, contact insecticide, it is made from Pyrethrin and does a decent job.

Fly-Paper strips hang in the storage room, and by the doors out back out of view of customers.
I also added a zapper in a an area where there is no food prep.
UV sticky traps did nothing for us
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30 15 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an easy to use and effective spray/attractant that keeps flies under control. We had a major problem in the dining room and kitchen. My pest control company applied Maxforce Fly Spot. It is a granule dissolved in water and sprayed around doors, and windows where flies hang out. This stuff works great. The label says it lasts about 30 days. I am finding about 14+ days here with lots of humidity. I was seeing flies everywhere, now no flies. It was sprayed around the exterior front door and the interior around the front windows and rear door. Just a spritz on the wall in a few places is all it takes. More doesn't necessarily mean better in this case. Available on Amazon. It comes in a ouch for about $7.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31 15 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Jack wrote:
I found an easy to use and effective spray/attractant that keeps flies under control. We had a major problem in the dining room and kitchen. My pest control company applied Maxforce Fly Spot. It is a granule dissolved in water and sprayed around doors, and windows where flies hang out. This stuff works great. The label says it lasts about 30 days. I am finding about 14+ days here with lots of humidity. I was seeing flies everywhere, now no flies. It was sprayed around the exterior front door and the interior around the front windows and rear door. Just a spritz on the wall in a few places is all it takes. More doesn't necessarily mean better in this case. Available on Amazon. It comes in a ouch for about $7.

Sweet, I'll get some ordered and see how it works.
I bet it works even better when you do not have goobers holding your doors open when waiting in line to order.
And your delivery guys leaving doors open when bringing product in.
That really bothers me, cuz I can see them flying in.
Capt Jack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01 15 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it doesn't work on goobers. Instead of Common Core teaching, I think they are teaching kids how to be the best goobers. I really love it when people meet each other at the door, hug and smooch for a minute or two, all the while holding the door open on a 97 degree day. Never mind the flies.

OK, enough griping by me. Give Fly Spot a try. It has been a huge help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: