FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 years later!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29 15 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was hoping to work out something to move my current location but that's on hold for now. I have kept my options open and a location in South Minneapolis was brought to my attention. We made an offer with owner financing and they gave a counter offer that is still doable. 10 minutes from down town, the airport and Mall of America. It will need a 90% renovation. Now to establish what surprises might be lurking before signing. I have most of the key equipment in storage and 2 more auctions next week. Should sign Mid May and start work beginning of July. The goal is to finish the food truck in May and start selling some Q out of the parking lot while we renovate. With some luck we will have a start to the customer base and some buzz going when we open the brick and mortar. We should be able to open the beginning of September. We will only have just over 50 seats, but plenty of parking. I'm looking forward to building some equity.
Lone Star BBQ & Grill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30 15 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you are bailing out on Anoka. Their loss.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30 15 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone Star BBQ & Grill wrote:
Sorry to hear you are bailing out on Anoka. Their loss.

I would still like to do something over there, parking was the big issue. The city has not considered options for the 2 buildings on the river and hasn't planned on any parking for the future. They have had no problem spending tax payers money to purchase a historic house on the river to convert into a restaurant and the perfectly good building across the street which was torn down for the parking lot. $$$$$$$$ I hope the restaurant can make enough to cover the city's investment???? The city hasn't been known for good long term planning when it comes to some of it's municipal buildings. They do support historic preservation though.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 15 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an inspection company going through the building tomorrow and met with some of the city folks on Monday. Waiting to see what they will allow for the smokers location? The most feasible option is to have them on the porch at the front of the building. This is somewhat new territory for them. Most places hide them out back. I want my customers to see the smokers!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01 15 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I was going to get to stop in this week Charlie, but alas, was not to be this time! Next trip to Minneapolis, I'm coming by!.......

Cheers,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01 15 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to your visit Ed
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07 15 9:27 am    Post subject: I'm going to jump again! Reply with quote

Well after standing at the edge of the cliff for a couple of months I'm going to finally jump! A couple of months of negotiations through realtors we have finally reached an agreement for a C for deed deal on a new location and are set to close the end of this month. We essentially settled on my initial offer. It has been a restaurant for the past 30 years and the owner retired several years back. He leased to a someone who took care of all the grandfather items and folded within a year. I will be taking a few days off the beginning of July and then digging in to the repairs and remodel. I hope to open the doors around Labor Day. Right now I am working 24/7 with grad parties and such plus trying to finish my food truck so we can have that out in the parking lot of the new place while we remodel. I figure we can turn at least 30k a month with that running Thursday thru Saturdays from 11 til we run out. 6ish? This should also give us a nice jump start! I am going to try crowd funding to raise some extra funds to get more of the remodeling done up front rather than over the next couple of years on days off. I will post pictures and links to the crowd funding as it evolves and as I have a minute.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14 15 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the floors of new place at 6009 Nicollet, Mpls. MN while we wait for permits. Go to google maps to see what I started with. It takes forever to work through the permits and licenses. A nice mention in the local business magazine today.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/08/13/q-fanatic-bbq-opening-south-minneapolis.html
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14 15 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
A nice mention in the local business magazine today.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/08/13/q-fanatic-bbq-opening-south-minneapolis.html

Great article! Makes me want to go there.
Rayzer
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up... Can't beat good press.
Weber Kettle
Liar #34. Honest!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18 15 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully next time I'm up there you will be open......the new place will be a lot more convenient for where I travel in MSP, and there is quite a bit of businesses on that end of town too........

Here's the Google Earth view:

Looks like you have your work cut out for your self! Laughing

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06 16 1:44 am    Post subject: 2 years later! Reply with quote

After a 2 year process I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I had a bit bigger budget for this one but it took 2 months longer than I anticipated for the remodel. We purchased a nice corner sight the end of June and between day to day at our first joint and remodeling the second we are about a week out. Had a preliminary review with the health inspector yesterday and no surprises. Helps to know the codes like the back of my hand. I must say, the inspector was very nice to work with! Hopefully all other departments are in order. There seems to be a permit for everything in this city! I'll post a link to a video walk through next week.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08 16 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on Q2 6009 Nicolett Av.
1 to 2 more weeks?

We finally received a plumbing permit today. I started this process 7 weeks ago after finding out the plumbing had not been done properly over the past 20 plus years and the city requires a licensed plumber to replace a sink or toilet or to move a sink or toilet while you retile the wall etc. The plumber estimates it will take 1 to 2 more weeks to work through the permits for 2 days of work.!! We have to borrow $2000 dollars a week to pay fixed and management expenses until we open. Not including the plumbing bill. Bureaucracy was not in the budget. My bad!, Not the first business I have started, but I thought I learned from the first and asked all the questions.

I wish the city of Minneapolis and others would help the novice small business person get through the hoops they have created. Small business is Americas future! America needs to support and foster small businesses. We need to create opportunities for motivated folks who are not rich. Including folks who are not minorities. We need small businesses more than a football stadiums! State and local government just invested 1/2 a billion dollars on a new stadium. It created short term trade jobs, many employees from out state. Small business creates long term everyday jobs, not just short term jobs and a seasonal distraction to the under employeed American masses. Sorry Football, but real problems are getting overlooked.

I propose, the city provides an on site inspection at the beginning of a purposed remodel. I would have addressed my plumbing issue last August if I had known. And, I really started this process last May when I went to the city to review my plan to open a BBQ restaurant at this location. I didn't realize I should be grateful they would let me open a business in their city? You would think they would be grateful that I was willing to take the risk of opening a restaurant in their city and make a reasonable effort to lead me through the gauntlet.

We will keep you posted.
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08 16 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to bureaucracy!

Years ago I worked on some federal projects. Nearing the end of the project, the inspector made up a punch list, due in 30 days. A month goes by, inspector shows up and hands out another punch list with all new items. Well, after this happened 2 or 3 times a wise gentleman informed me of the reason. By their job description an inspector can only have so many open projects. By stretching every one out with inane punch lists they keep the project "open".

As the old saying goes.... If you don't understand why otherwise intelligent people make stupid decisions, you just don't understand their agenda.

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08 16 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you're in Minneapolis. They aren't very business-friendly, small or big.

They love their taxes, though.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22 16 1:34 pm    Post subject: Finally open!! Reply with quote

Opened Friday for dinner with a limited menu. By Sunday we probably had 10 repeat customers. So nice to have so many excited customers. We are starting with sandwiches with homemade chips and am transitioning into the full menu over the next 3 weeks. So happy to be open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: