FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 gallon trailer build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26 16 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! FlyingJ she's beautiful, great job! Congrats!

P.S. I'm digging your tool set too
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28 16 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you wango. I plan on seasoning #2 on her next week with a load of chicken. Very Happy
lngliv3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 16 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of paint did your painter use . I am getting ready to blast my trailer and smoker to get this project finished... 2 years is a long time to build this thing!!!!!
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 16 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingliv3, he used TemperKote Hi-Heat paint made by FlameControl Coatings. I believe he put on two coats of this, the first being the primer. It is expensive stuff and time will tell if it is effective.
BorderCop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19 16 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking build Flyingj!

One question. Have you had any problems with heat transfer with the firebox being welded to the trailer? I'm curious because i'm getting ready to put my smoker on the trailer and I wasn't sure of the best way to provide support to the firebox without having issues.

Thanks
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19 16 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you BorderCop. No issues whatsoever with heat transfer. The heavy frame is a big heat-sink so weld away. Very Happy
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little progress has been made in getting the smoker to it's completed stage. I haven't taken the time to get many pics but wanted to update the status of the build. I have the lights installed and some of the propane plumbing done underneath. Still need to do the wiring.

She is now seasoned up pretty well. After the first "seasoning" of heating her up and oiling the inside of the cook chamber for a few hours, I cooked on her for the first time a couple of weeks ago with 40 lbs. of chicken quarters.

Last week, I really put her to the test with a brisket cook. I smoked 12 briskets splitting it into 2 separate cooks so as not to overload the cooker (and me Very Happy) while I'm learning how she likes to run. I am very pleased with the operation of this cooker and the meat coming off of it has turned out fantastic.

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of the end results of the chicken and brisket. I thought these pics would be appropriate to stay in the "cookers" section as they were a part of the seasoning process. Wink Very Happy
JMDCali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks amazing! Great job Flyingj, that is one good looking smoker. We need some more Q pics!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 16 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Thanks for understanding that seasoning can stay in the cookers section, but that future cooks would go in the General Section, or Grilling etc. depending on what it is! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 16 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JMDCali and SoEzzy. Very Happy I'll post some pics of the completed project if I ever get her finished. I most certainly will not post anything to do with cooking in this section. Wink Laughing
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 16 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Laughing Laughing

I still work here!
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gang, this project is finally finished. Very Happy . After nearly two years since buying the propane tank to start this project, I am declaring her complete. It has been a blast from start to finish. Being my first major "cooker" project, I made some mistakes (actually a lot) and learned a ton along the way. I can't thank you fellow Ringers enough for following this build and giving encouragement and advice along the way. I hope I can pass along some of what I learned to those who tackle similar projects in the future.

Among the many folks who I relied on for design ideas, tips, techniques, etc., I have to thank k.a.m. for his tireless efforts in helping me stay on track during this project. He is not only an experienced builder/engineer, but a great teacher as well! Thank you Kevin. Very Happy

Here are some pics of the completed 250 gallon trailer build:

Rus_Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingJ ... That is truly badazz. Incorporated just about everything you can need on that bad boy. Definitely wish I had that welding skill.

WELL DONE SIR.

rb
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingj, That is one sweet looking rig. Don't sell yourself short... you did an awesome job. I now got me a case of pit envy. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Flyingj. Very Happy I truly enjoyed watching this project unfold. Very Happy
Time to start another. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter what, you have done yourself proud. that is a very sweet rig you have built. love the layout, and all the hard work that went into it.
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15 16 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cap just read the whole thread.

this build went off without a hitch......well I guess one big one was the ever hungry expanded attack. it's like the shark of metalworking.

more than once in reading I was muttering at myself about how awesome your work is. usually in a wee bit more aggressive words tho, lol.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17 16 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingj, I was looking around your build thread again this morning, because like I told you on the phone yesterday, I am stealing an idea or two from your build Wink I ended up just looking through the entire build again and I just have to say, Man, you did a bang up job on the entire build. Im sure I have said it before, but you really have a rig that is something to be extremely proud of! Its a top notch build from beginning to end. I look forward to many pics on my phone of the thing filled up with groceries!
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 16 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rus_Bro. I got everything on there "except" the kitchen sink. Very Happy In fact, I would have liked to have a sink with hot water and a warming cabinet but I ran out of room and axle capacity. Maybe on the next one.

Smokin Mike: I appreciate all the great input you gave me throughout the build.

Can't thank you enough k.a.m. I may take off a few days, or longer Wink before I start the next one. Laughing.

Thanks for the kind words -olllllllo-. I have welded for most of my life (and I'm an old man Very Happy) but mostly farm related, meaning: strong but not necessarily attractive. Very Happy. This project was quite different and I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. My skills definitely improved throughout the project.

Thank you TrailerBuilder, I appreciate it! Yes, I am very pleased with the way she turned out. Very Happy. You are mighty welcome to steal any ideas from this build, in fact, It will make me proud to see some of them on the cool smoker project you are working on now!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty FlyingJ, I switched to a pellet cooker recently, but am getting the itch to start another trailer project. I just love watching these things come together!

I hope you get many a fine meal off of her!

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: