FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket help with my traeger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbelson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 11:54 am    Post subject: Brisket help with my traeger Reply with quote

So, I'm totally frustrated with doing brisket on my Traeger. I did a 14 lb. packer, marinated and rubbed for over 10 hour smoke. Had 2 water pans, temp averaged 225, wrapped it in foil, the whole magilla. But it still doesn't hit the right tenderness. No gentle tug, no bend to it, no juices flowing when I cut it. It was flavored fine, but no matter what I try, I can't get the desired tenderness that my friend using a green egg is able to.
Side note: He's been cooking one a week for a couple months, always great to get sandwiches, and inspiring.

I'm wondering if other people using pellet grills get similar results? I've never been able to do a good brisket
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest not cooking by time and go by temp and feel. When I do a Brisket they are usually probe tender around 200° might be a little more one day or a little less. Probe tender is what you should shoot for at the end.

14lb Brisket for 10hrs at 225° sounds like it was not cooked enough.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** I do not own a traeger*** BUT, I cook anywhere from 3-8 CASES of brisket a week, and will agree with Mish - some sites / charts / people who claim to be experts will swear by times, when in fact they are basic guidelines that do not take a plethora of variables into consideration ....Including differences between smokers - even the same manufacturer / model can be a little different than the identical unit sitting right next to each other. Your friends egg will cook considerably different than a traeger at the same time/temp's.
Its done when its done! Quite often a 25° increase in temp will make all the difference in the world to achieve tenderness. I have gone as high as 300° [ or more] to finish.....Sometimes even digital thermo's are wrong, by A LOT! I know my cabinet w/ digital control's and blower still will 'spike' based on using outside digital probe thermo's, as the temps front to back, left to right, top rack to bottom rack vary quite a bit...I have mapped my Lang 84D with probes too. The airflow in that beast is unreal - temp swings of 20° for short times are quite common, but no fo so long that the dial thermo's move at all...
Sounds like your traeger simply will not do a brisket to done at that temp / timeline. Using a Prime grade may make the difference, but may not??!! I personally would go hotter.
p.s. I have eaten brisket that saw no more than 4 hrs on a Myron Mixon water smoker [ at 375° I believe ] that blew my mind! [ and scored near perfect KCBS ]
I have pulled briskets as low as 185° with a long rest were outstanding, others pulled at 205° needed a bit more cook time....Get yourself a maveric or other digital probe. Map out your traeger, then use said probe in your meat to monitor temps...But most importantly, use this probe to slide in and out of the thickest portion of your brisket. Little to no resistance is what your looking for. Let brisket 'rest' to cool down a bit before slicing, if slices are too tender, make them thicker...If a little tough, slice thinner....Most importantly, delete a certain 'meathead's' page from your all of your electronic devices.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump your temps to 250°/275° then wrap at an internal temp of 165°/170° in the middle of the upper flat area this should take around 3.5 to 4 hours on a 15 lb packer. Then wrap the brisket and bring to at least 205° in the same area once this is done check the flat with a toothpick for tenderness. I normally bring all my briskets to 210° and then let rest back down to 160° for slicing.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook it till its done not by time. use the fork method. when it goes in easy its done. I also cook to internal temp of 190 and then start to check for tenderness..

Sounds to me like you are not cooking long enough. For me, a 12 lb'er takes about an hour a pound at 250.
LIAR #100
jbelson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all those methods, but still not satisfied.

The struggle is real
cowboy4life
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are all your briskets coming from the same place?

i use choice packers and i pick over everything they have looking for the right one. its not beyond me to pick them up and flex them, i find some are stiff as a board and some flex really easy. i have always had good luck with the loose flexible ones. Shocked

#5 LIAR
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbelson wrote:
I've done all those methods, but still not satisfied.

The struggle is real

Maybe you should lower your standards. Laughing
What exactly are you basing your final product on?
My method pretty much delivers every time.
It is hard to argue with this.

Hybrid Cooker
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did my first brisket yesterday on a new semi crappy kingsford 26" kettle. horrible temp flux and smoke loss. I mean like anywhere from 210-420 (yes ouch).

but it was done beautifully at 14 hours for a 12 pounder.

took it out at 195 was wrapped at 165 in foil.

I got lucky.
jbelson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get prime grade briskets from costco. maybe I'll try again and wrap sooner, after 4 hours or so?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cooker runs between 250° and 275°. It usually takes about 4 hours for a 15 lb. packer to get to 165° internal sometimes I will take them to 170° if my color is not where I want it. Then I pan and cover with foil till the brisket reaches 210° I then let it rest till it drops to around 160° to slice.

Hybrid Cooker
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an FEC 100 and when I cook briskets in it I cook 250-275 and wrap at 165-170 until around 200-205 and they come out ok. But when I cook them on my stick burner I started cooking at 325-350 and I'm really happy with the results. I just can't get as good of a product on my FEC as I can on my stick burner and that is with everything I cook
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish&q, that's why I sold my Traeger, it was great for chicken but I just couldn't get what I was looking for otherwise.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-olllllllo- wrote:
did my first brisket yesterday on a new semi crappy kingsford 26" kettle. horrible temp flux and smoke loss. I mean like anywhere from 210-420 (yes ouch).

but it was done beautifully at 14 hours for a 12 pounder.

took it out at 195 was wrapped at 165 in foil.

I got lucky.

Did a chicken comp a few weeks back....My partner was absolutely demanding we kept the Lang at 290° for the cook...Gauges said 290 +/- 5° [ very cold and high winds ]
I placed a probe at chicken height, one left, one right side of chicken.....Per my Thermoworks probes [ quite fast and accurate ] we were varying 40° due to the high winds and wind shifts!!! [ kinda debunks ole' meatheads scientist, we didnt even open the door!!]
Took 5th out of 28 teams.....He was FREAKING OUT over temp swings, but he never used the probes like that.....I'm fine with the dials Wink
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Did a chicken comp a few weeks back....My partner was absolutely demanding we kept the Lang at 290° for the cook...Gauges said 290 +/- 5° [ very cold and high winds ]
I placed a probe at chicken height, one left, one right side of chicken.....Per my Thermoworks probes [ quite fast and accurate ] we were varying 40° due to the high winds and wind shifts!!! [ kinda debunks ole' meatheads scientist, we didnt even open the door!!]
Took 5th out of 28 teams.....He was FREAKING OUT over temp swings, but he never used the probes like that.....I'm fine with the dials Wink

Chicken comp? That is the only meat y'all cooked?

Hybrid Cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:

Chicken comp? That is the only meat y'all cooked?

Actually, at that particular one, yes - Its called ' choke the chicken' KCBS style comp........A month earlier there is one held called "Frozen Bones" [ ribs only ] 1 day cook each....They are a chance for teams to gather for one day of brotherhood, trying new things etc.. KCBS judges are brought in, a HUGE lunch buffet / pot luck, there may also be some Whisky and beer floating around the area Wink All the teams have a chance to talk one omn one with all the judges after the blind turn in, the judges are told who was what number after..It builds relationships with the judges / teams, help teams learn what judges are looking for etc. Has payout and tons of door prizes. Maybe swing up next year for one of them Kevin, just pack your snow gear!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a learning point of view, that actually sounds pretty cool.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Maybe swing up next year for one of them Kevin, just pack your snow gear!!

The cook off sounds like fun. Very Happy
The above quote is a deal killer for me though. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
yukoff
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbelson wrote:
I usually get prime grade briskets from costco. maybe I'll try again and wrap sooner, after 4 hours or so?

Pay attention to what kam and others said - go by temp, not time. Wrap at 165, not after a set number of hours. Cook until internal temp is about 200ish, not after a set number of hours. Cook at 250, not 225.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Maybe swing up next year for one of them Kevin, just pack your snow gear!!

The cook off sounds like fun. Very Happy
The above quote is a deal killer for me though. Razz Very Happy Laughing

What? Me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: