FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 16 11:17 am    Post subject: Who lit the fuse on your tampon? Reply with quote

My county pain in the arse paid a visit this week,

Who agrees with me that for someone who is tasked with enforcing laws, should in fact be familiar with said laws as written?

I totally understand the hell that Qfanatic & Tony went through with their respective regulatory agencies.

I am tweaked to the point that I will be filing a formal complaint with the state against my local person.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 16 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with inspectors for most of my adult life and that encompasses many many years. Plumbing inspectors... food inspectors... dairy inspectors... I've seen them all. I agree that most have no real knowledge of the rules they are paid to enforce. The one phrase that tears me a new but hole is when they say... " I'd like to see..." There are many things we'd all "like to see" but show me in the regulations that what you'd like to see is actually required. Of course when you are dealing with these idiots you must be sure that you know the regs better than they do. Stand your ground and NEVER let them roll over you.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 16 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
I have dealt with inspectors for most of my adult life and that encompasses many many years. Plumbing inspectors... food inspectors... dairy inspectors... I've seen them all. I agree that most have no real knowledge of the rules they are paid to enforce. The one phrase that tears me a new but hole is when they say... " I'd like to see..." There are many things we'd all "like to see" but show me in the regulations that what you'd like to see is actually required. Of course when you are dealing with these idiots you must be sure that you know the regs better than they do. Stand your ground and NEVER let them roll over you.

Absolutely make them cite statutes! I am sure Mr Tony can chime in on that.

I have been working with this inspector for years, this time around she was way out of line with making stuff up as they go, and threatening legal action if id did not do "What they'd like to see"
I stood my ground as I always do, now I expect many surprise visits, which I have no problem with except if they show up during a very busy time, get in our way and cause a hazardous situation.

this last time I even got there "Where is the NSF tag on your knives" which is not a requirement in this state.
I run a restaurant, they are supposed to enforce laws as written, so why is it i know the laws better then them?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait Harry....they [ Wi food insp. dept ] have now merged with the Agriculture department....WIll probably expect you to show the vaccination records on your brisket!! Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked :?My inspector, who I finally have trained Wink is threatening to quit over the merger...I have begged her repeatedly not to, just to keep some form of sanity within the dept[s]!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 16 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one inspector that lives in the same town as we do. He would get home early and stop by our place unannounced so he could fill out his day. I finally told him that we were busy and while I do understand an occasional drop in visit he needed to call ahead and make an appointment. We always pass our inspections and i told him there was no reason for him to be pestering us. He took the hint and started bother some other folks.

As business people we have rights and one of those rights is to operate our businesses with minimal interference from the government. As I said before you can't let them roll over you because they will never let up. These inspectors are people who can't run a business if their life depended on it... usually losers and social outcasts. I'm so glad I live in Maine. At this point in time life is much simpler and the regulations are not terribly difficult to comply with.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 16 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken in Maine wrote:
I had one inspector that lives in the same town as we do. He would get home early and stop by our place unannounced so he could fill out his day. I finally told him that we were busy and while I do understand an occasional drop in visit he needed to call ahead and make an appointment. We always pass our inspections and i told him there was no reason for him to be pestering us. He took the hint and started bother some other folks.

As business people we have rights and one of those rights is to operate our businesses with minimal interference from the government. As I said before you can't let them roll over you because they will never let up. These inspectors are people who can't run a business if their life depended on it... usually losers and social outcasts. I'm so glad I live in Maine. At this point in time life is much simpler and the regulations are not terribly difficult to comply with.

Before we moved to a different county, my previous inspector would stop in for lunch several times each month, he was cool., he knew the business and he knew the laws. His first inspection he questioned me about gloves, I stated that I do not agree with the rule, and glove use causes more problems than it fixed due to their inherent misuse.
During our lunch rush (180-200 people) he stood well out of the way, and watched us work on the line for 30 minutes, the first break we had he complimented us on our techniques without using gloves and no bare hand RTE food contact. He said he didn't think it was possible.

Now this inspector, Ugh! Clueless, tries to twist statutes to fit non-issues, knows nothing about food except for what she partially remembered from a book, and is on a power trip.

Her next visit will be recorded with audio, because when she exceeds her authority I will be calling her out on it right then and there. I am recording to cover my own arse, because I do not trust her being truthful when I leave a boot-print on her delicate ego.

A calcium build up in a hot-holding well is not a violation, I do not care how you try to twist it. Our water is so mineral laden, we need to delime equipment weekly here.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anything positive to add here, but the title of thread is something I used to use with the wife.

Menopause, that's something altogether different.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28 16 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our inspector who does double duty because of our specific situation ( we have a small dairy operation as well as BBQ) came out yesterday for an inspection... Took a water sample which goes to the state lab and spent the rest of the time talking about goats and BBQ. After the inspection she left with some goat meat and is potential purchaser of a goat buckling.

Now this is not something that is usual in Maine. In the cities, Portland and Bangor and also along the coast things are much different because you have egos involved. Here in the boonies people are more real and down to earth. However you don't cross them or take advantage because they can and will make your life miserable. They are primarily looking for neat and clean. Gosh I love it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: