FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 Gallon Smoker build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
victory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had off work today, made some progress on my smoker. got the cooking chamber door flanges and hinges on, the reverse flow plate and drain and the exhaust on

missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 16 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you left the feet of the tank on. Gives it a different look. Handles, too, no doubt. You've got a nice pretty shop too.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
victory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just left the feet on to make it easier to move around. I'm going to knock them off and put some sort of handle over there
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you have going on... I'm with missionsusmc leave the feet and come up with something creative to turn them in to handles and maybe a shelf for your temp probes and tools Very Happy
victory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what height does everyone like their cooking grates at?

I put my grate in yesterday and the top of the grate is 37" above the floor. feels a couple inches too high.

I bought some larger tires for the firebox side as those little casters make it feel a bit dangerous moving around with all the weight that it has on it now. it moves fine on the smooth concrete, but I imagine when I get it out on other surfaces it'll be a bear to move around.

I am going to lower the smoker around 2" that would pull my grate height at 35".

not sure what the norm is, or I guess it may be subjective depending on how tall you are.
victory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another question/issue

the bottom/firebox side of my cooking chamber door is a bit warped. it sticks out maybe 1/4" from the cooker. everywhere is is tight, its just that one corner.

what would be the best method to get it back in place?

beating the hell out of it with a big hammer is the first thing that comes to mind, but not sure if there is a better method of doing it.

maybe put that corner in a vise and try and pull it back?
victory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made some more progress last night, should hopefully have all the fabrication done tomorrow and then I just need to get everything cleaned up.

lowered the smoker about 2" with the new wheels and it feel to be the perfect grate height for me at 35"

also welded on my latches and they have solved my door gap issue. the door is still a tough out of whack, buts the latches pulling it tight is good enough for me.

coming down the home stretch now, hope to start seasoning it by sunday and then do a few test cooks this week before we do a baby pig next saturday for our anual cinco(siete) de mayo party.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work victory I like it. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some pics of the seasoning. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
victory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'm excited to get this thing finished and building a fire.

I have alot more respect for the welding profession now, its hard work lol.

this was my first time using a stick welder, I could barely get a weld started with out sticking it to the metal 10-12 times when I started. my welds have greatly improve over the past month.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victory wrote:
another question/issue

the bottom/firebox side of my cooking chamber door is a bit warped. it sticks out maybe 1/4" from the cooker. everywhere is is tight, its just that one corner.

beating the hell out of it with a big hammer is the first thing that comes to mind, but not sure if there is a better method of doing it.

Your cooker sure turned out nice victory. There are many ways to tweak the door. You are somewhat limited, with the flanges already installed, but this is a method I used to straighten out my 3/8" firebox door.

Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingj wrote:
victory wrote:
another question/issue

Your cooker sure turned out nice victory. There are many ways to tweak the door. You are somewhat limited, with the flanges already installed, but this is a method I used to straighten out my 3/8" firebox door.

that is the method to use victory...just make sure your welds are sound on the chain or you will be wearing it Wink
victory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 16 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I would have a chain or jack sized wound somewhere on my body if I tried that lol
victory

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabrication is pretty much done, I still want to add a shelf of some sort on the front and a small shelf on the side for my digital thermometer, but not sure what route I am going with those for sure yet.

also need to get it all cleaned up and put some paint on it.

victory

PostPosted: Mon May 02 16 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also turns out that my door wasn't warped at all, the bottom lip of the smoker was bowed out a small amount. several whacks with a large hammer straightened it right out.

I had not put my door gasket on the cooking chamber yet before firing it up for the first time last night. but I was surprised at how little it leaked smoke.

I only ran it for a few hours last night, took me a while to get a fire started. I was out of charcoal and I had no dry kindling because it rained for a week straight here. lighting a split with just newspaper takes a while.

those cheap gauges I bought are way off. I don't know if I can adjust them or not. felt like they were reading really low on the smoker, pulled them off and did a boil test and they both read ~170 at a rolling boil. I guess you cant expect too much at $10 for two 3" thermometers.

may need to invest in a couple of quality ones, may wait until I get my cover made up first so they dont get ruined.
Madmike

PostPosted: Tue May 03 16 9:19 am    Post subject: Thermometers Reply with quote

Most thermometers,even cheap ones can be adjusted to read right, I calibrated 6 of them sat using boiling water , 2 had a screwdriver slot in the end of the stem,just held therm and turning screwdriver moved needle, 2 had a nut on the back that you loosened,and turned the outer shell till the needle lined up right, and the last 2 cheapies I held the boss on the back of the gauge with pliers,and turned the face to the right position,after tweaking they read exactly the same as a Maverick pit probe in the boiling water used as a constant temp gauge of the water.
Mike
victory

PostPosted: Tue May 03 16 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i will have to give the thermometers a look tonight and see if I cant get them adjusted.
victory

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fired it up each evening this week, trying to learn how she likes to run and figure out the fire management with the wood splits. I've always just used lump with chunks in the past.

I think I've got it about figured out though. did a rack of ribs yesterday for the first food cook and they turned out awesome. wife said they were the best I've made.

first burn I had some trouble with my coalbed, seemed like everything was falling through the grate, had my fire go out on me a couple of times. I added another bottom grate in the opposite direction and it seems to have helped a good bit.

I still have to clean it up and put a coat of paint on it, but I'm pretty happy with the way it cooks.

my temps from side to side are off 25-30 degrees or so, with the hot side closest to the firebox, which isn't a big deal to me, i can make that work. I just thought they would be a little more even with a reverse flow cooker. I've been building my fire towards the back of the firebox, closest to the cooking chamber. maybe building it further away from the cooking chamber may make a difference?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: