FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help picking commercial smokers

View previous topic :: View next topic  

3 Smokers to choose from
Ole Hickory
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Southern Pride
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

rouxsels q

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 2:53 am    Post subject: Need help picking commercial smokers Reply with quote

Im opening a BBQ spot in town and have narrowed it down to 3 smokers. I started smoking years ago on a small box smoker using charcoal and wood. I moved on and like the ease of the electric smoker currently own a cookshack smoker and enjoy flavor although not quite as good its still good for the throw it on and forget it mode. The 3 smokers Im currently looking at are Southern Pride, Ole Hickory and Cookshack. All 3 have good reviews, Ole Hickory is the best price by far and is leading the pack for that reason, Cookshack is a few thousand more and Southern Pride is a lot of thousands more. Just trying to get opinions from people who may know more than me. Are ole hickory smokers a good smoker? Should I spend close to double for Southern Pride? Just wondering thoughts please HELP!
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy new! There are plenty of good used units on the market. Check out allofcraigs.com. Shipping is reasonable and a road trip gives you an excuse to check out joints across the country. I have 6 Southern Prides. Picked up 1 1/2 at the factory new. Very happy. Good luck regardless!
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply do you have the cook and hold options on any of your Southern Prides and if you do are they worth it or should I just get one seperate? Seems to be about $500-$600 extra on the smokers but if it really works it seems worth it instead of having to get another piece of equipment
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
Thanks for the reply do you have the cook and hold options on any of your Southern Prides and if you do are they worth it or should I just get one seperate? Seems to be about $500-$600 extra on the smokers but if it really works it seems worth it instead of having to get another piece of equipment

That extra $500 would be better spent on proper holding ovens, You're gonna need those.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:

I agree with Harry. I have several holding ovens at each restaurant. I do have a cook and hold on 1 and I don't use it. I could really only see using it for butts and I use that smoker for brisket. The rest of the meats need to be managed. IMHO
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations on holding ovens?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
Any recommendations on holding ovens?

CVAP's are my first choice, Shaam is my 2nd
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people here I see have multiple smokers but I can't afford that to start and not sure if I would have the room for 2. I'm hoping a 500lb smoker is enough to start out if I stager times for lunch and dinner meats. It will be tough but it is what it is for now I guess. I would like to put the smoker outside as I've seen on cooking shows feels like a million times but the inspector claims that's not possible unless I enclose it entirely so I would have to build an entire separate room for it. Thanks for all the advice
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
I would like to put the smoker outside as I've seen on cooking shows feels like a million times but the inspector claims that's not possible unless I enclose it entirely so I would have to build an entire separate room for it. Thanks for all the advice

Live within your means! As for your inspector? Read up on the code for your state/county/city. Federal code says "yes you can". By federal code it must be on a hard surface (cement or asphalt) and it must have an awning or similar cover over the food access, in layman's terms. Many inspectors make their own interpretations or entire code up sometimes. Your job is to know more than them. Then make sure to chirp up when they stray. I had to build an enclosed trailer for my first 500 because Minnesota has not adopted current Federal code, the state feels the tax payer should pay for the State Health Dept to create their own code rather than modify Federal code to address any unique circumstances Minnesota might have. Even though every large park in the state has large open grills for large groups.
My smokers, including the one on the trailer, are mostly outside with the front through the wall. This enables you to keep your wood, fire and heat outside and not have to have a traditional hood and makeup air system for the smoker. I have smoke extractors on the back end of my smokers outside. They are designed to be installed like this. Check out the main page of my website for a picture. However you install it make sure you have a smoke extractor, not the bill hood.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
the inspector claims that's not possible unless I enclose it entirely

Have this inspector cite the statute that prohibits a pit from being outside.
If they cannot cite a statute, kindly tell them to eat a bag of dicks!

Inspectors do not make the laws, they are to enforce "As Written" not their own personal interpretations.

Do a google search for guidelines for a "Permanent outdoor Cooking Establishment" (POCE)
Then, tell that inspector to eat a buffet of dicks.

Tony, Charlie, & myself have all dealt with this horseschitt, and 99.99% of the time the inspector is wrong.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed yesterday, that with the merging of AG to the food insp. dept here in Wi, I will be getting a new inspector....We all may want to place our orders now to have plenty of response in stock:
LINK!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
rouxsels q

PostPosted: Mon May 09 16 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I found the rules for outside cooking in my area and it said I could do it outdoors as long as I wasn't cutting or prepping outside I didn't need the walls. I didn't tell the lady to eat dicks lol but I did let her know she was wrong and I was going through with it!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 11 16 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I found the rules for outside cooking in my area and it said I could do it outdoors as long as I wasn't cutting or prepping outside I didn't need the walls. I didn't tell the lady to eat dicks lol but I did let her know she was wrong and I was going through with it!

Good,
I am glad that you stood up to the world of bureaucracy where the bureaucrat exceeded their powers (typical) and tried to impose their will on you with no basis in law .

This is just the first time you will encounter this, you will get this from every angle, so be ready for it. Research the laws, learn everything that pertains to you, or they will try to walk all over you. A heavy-handed government absolutely despises the educated citizen.

Now, the reason that I have not voted on a pit choice is because the pit I love to use, and advocate is not on the available list of options,
SunRiseChef

PostPosted: Fri May 13 16 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rouxsels q, Please check your messages and let me know if you have any questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: