FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a reliable 12 hour brisket possible without tricks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylemorley

PostPosted: Jul 09 2016    Post subject: Is a reliable 12 hour brisket possible without tricks? Reply with quote

Is it reasonable to expect a decent, reliable, 12 hr brisket?

I have gotten dragooned into doing a smoke for a friends wedding.and he insists on brisket. It's about an hour from here and I don't really want to spend an extra day there so I can do an all night burn. From my limited experience it seems to me that, if one religiously keeps the fire from getting too low, and avoids the larger briskets, 12 hours is possible with room to spare, but I seem to keep running into rogue briskets that smoke in a predictable manner all the way up to just-about-done only to stall (again?) just under 190, and loll there forever while the guests lose patience.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Jul 09 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the briskets I cook are done on the UDS, in around 8 - 9 hours, I run the pit at 250° and just pay attention to the temperature of the brisket at about 5 - 5.5 hours, at that point most of them are at the stall 160 - 165°, I pan them at that time. I then cook them on until they feel ready with the poke test. Then I check between 8 and 9 hours, and they are up at that mark by then.

Allowing for time in a pre-warmed cooler of an hour to an hour and a half and a reception at noon, you should be good to fire up the pit at midnight and put the meat on at one!

On the other hand, you could crank the fire to 350°, and start at 3 in the morningo put the meat on at 3:30, you should be able to pan it at about 3 hours and finish it in another 3. But I don't like hot and fast as much as lower and slower. Some folks say Myron has done quite well for himself cooking briskets in 5 - 6 hours... but that could just be a rumor! Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

I still work here!
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

12 hours is definetly doable. I get packers from Wal mart and (not bragging just relaying statements) produce some "damn thats good" brisket.

I've done em fast and hot and turn out OK, in about 6-7 hours. low and slow for about 10 and turn out great.

I aim for 230-250 for the first 6 hours (check the temp), let it drop to 225-230 for 3 more and then check em again. If they have stalled, wrap em and heat the pit between 250-275 for a few hours to break the stall.

If I have time for a long cook, I go 16 hours or so, put em on at 8 at night take em off at noon the next day, maybe 1 if I am still sleepy. I have never wrapped an over nighter though.

I like the 15-18lb for the longer smokes and 10-12 lbs for the "fast" ones.

Good luck,
Chris
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

I usually do briskets about 12#. I aim for a temp around 275, and generally, it's good to go at about 8 hours. Sometimes I wrap, usually don't, just depends on what's convenient.

YMMV
kylemorley

Thanks all for your help. I sounds doable, but tight.

The meat is for an evening meal at 5:00 so I have a bit more leeway. I really don't want to do an all nighter if I can avoid it. Situation is aggravated by my crummy homemade 55 gallon drum smoker which has lousy fire control and I don't dare leave running while I go back to bed.

Think I may run off 20 lb. of pork butt a day or two ahead, for insurance in case the brisket isn't done in time.
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jul 12 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did 5 briskets for the 4th. I don't have much patience so I smoke them at 350.. Everybody said it was the best they ever had. I injected with beef broth and after about 4 hrs I foiled with more broth. Took about 6 hrs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: