FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

250 gallon trailer build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cat797. I have been cooking quite a bit lately and am very happy with the results. Get started on that trailer project and keep us posted. Very Happy
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 30 16 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. I wanted to share a recent tweak done to my grill. With hopes of keeping to the traditional structure of an Argentine Parrilla, I had planned on lining the bottom and sidewalls with firebrick. When it actually came down to it, I struggled with the fact that it would not be practical on a mobile rig. Looking at some of the poor roads I travel in rural North Texas, I decided against it. Just too fragile IMO.

I tried a cook on the grill with charcoal and mesquite right on the bottom like I do in my fire pit and had a good clean burn but couldn't get the grate temps anywhere near hot enough to sear steaks, hence the introduction of a tried and true coal grate. This one is constructed of 1" X 1/4" angle and #9 X 3/4" raised expanded metal. It is on legs and has handles to enable easy removal through the top when the cooking grate is raised. I did a test run Saturday with 24 hamburgers and was very pleased with the improvement. Didn't get a temp reading on the upper grate but am optimistic there is ample heat to get a good sear for steaks. If not, I will take k.a.m.'s advice and put in some "GrillGrates", at least on half the real estate. Very Happy. I have had excellent results with these in the past on another grill.

missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Reminds me of those nights as a kid sitting by a campfire waiting for coal taters and camp stew to get done.

I also like your green pushmower in the background. Does it cut very well? Laughing

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc wrote:

I also like your green pushmower in the background. Does it cut very well? Laughing

Good eye missionsusmc. That mower has been a good one. The cut is kind of rough but it blows bubbles better than any mower I have ever owned. Wink Laughing
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying J,
I have showed that build post to several people. ALL love it. Awesome work. I am stealing a few ideas off of you in the near future. The parrilla is my next project. Looking at yours I cant think of any thing that could be improved on. Any thing you would of changed? I seen the addition of the coal grate.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you castrovillecowboy. As far as changes go, if I had known going in that the grill would have a coal grate instead of fire brick, I would have welded some tabs onto the sidewalls for the grate to sit on rather than legs to hold it off bottom. Not a big deal either way but since she was already painted, I went with the latter. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 31 16 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coal grate came out nice Flyingj. Very Happy I bet she gets hot now. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 16 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you k.a.m. She did indeed get mighty hot. Can't wait to cook some steaks and see how that works out. I also broke in the fish fryer on the trailer with 10 lbs. of hand cut french fries. Couldn't have turned out better. Very Happy
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have smoked a good bit of meat in the past few months since finishing this project. I noticed that most of the brethren builders on the ring prefer coal baskets in their fireboxes vs. flat grates. This was a new concept to me and I guess I just didn't "get" the advantages of what a basket could offer, until recently.

My wife gave me a Weber Kettle this summer for my birthday and I have enjoyed it immensely. Prior to this, my cooking experience with charcoal was very limited as most of the cooking I've done in my life (and I'm an old man) has been over mesquite fires or in an offset smoker burning pecan or oak (these are trees that grow on my property). I quickly came to the realization that when a chimney, or even two, of charcoal was spread out over the entire coal grate in the Kettle, the fire "coals" didn't last very long. Just long enough to get my steaks or burgers done but no more.

The "light" came on the first time I grilled something on the Kettle with indirect heat. I lit the chimney of charcoal just like I always had but instead of spreading it out over the grate, I bunched it all up in a heap over on one side of the grill. That coal base seemed to last forever Laughing compared to what it did when scattered out on the grate. That's when I realized the importance of keeping the coals "concentrated"! Shocked So, just like I have done so many times in the past throughout this build, I contacted k.a.m., my mentor, to discuss a means to incorporate this newfound tidbit of technology (to me) Very Happy into my recently constructed smoker.

It boiled down to cloning the basket Kevin built for "Little Mama" with a slight modification for the underlying grate I had already fabricated. I also added anti-tippers underneath to allow full access to the basket. Thanks for that too k.a.m 'Wink'

Here is the new version.

This was a bit long winded but I feel it has enough importance to warrant the post in hopes that the newer builders may gain insight from it's content.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice job Flyingj and the basket tops it off. What size hot roll did you use for the slanted grate? Looks like 1/2" but I wanted to double check. I'll probably be doing something similar on my next build.
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smoking Mike. Yessir, it is 1/2" and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Very Happy
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'm in the process of doing the same thing, glad to see someone else have my same thoughts. My old coal grate is sitting on my weld table now, I've framed it out, just need to weld the expanded metal in the sides and make the angled grate. I'll post a picture when I get it done. Nice work.
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JLCBBQ. I haven't tried it out yet but look forward to testing it this weekend. Very Happy Good luck with your modification!
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 16 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyingj wrote:
Thanks JLCBBQ. I haven't tried it out yet but look forward to testing it this weekend. Very Happy Good luck with your modification!

Good luck my friend, I hope you let us know how it works out for you. I plan on getting mine finished and test fired some time this week. Noticed briskets were on sale for 1.97 per pound at HEB yesterday, need to get it done Cool
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: