FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oversized firebox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27 16 12:06 pm    Post subject: Oversized firebox Reply with quote

the feldon calculator says something along the lines of "a slightly oversized firebox is preferable." At what point does one cross that slight line and become a problem?

A friend wants me to build him a 20x36 offset. The example he gave me was from a reputable company, but it used a 20x20 round firebox which calculates to a 166% differential on the calculator. Is this too big in y'alls opinion? I played around with the calculator and a 16x16x16 square firebox is roughly at 108% differential which sounds much better. Is it worth talking him into the square box? What dimensions would some of you experienced builders recommend for the fire box on this build?
14" Weber Smokey Joe
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27 16 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20" x 20" is large, but why not go with 20" x 14" or 15", with 15" it would still look good, as the proportions would be 3:4.

If you build it shorter, you are not as tempted to spread the fire around. The other thing you could do, would be put a "floor" at about 3" or 3.5" up, then put the grate 2.5" or 3' above that. Then make sure your intake pipe the air in under the grate and above the floor.

You will be reducing the fire box size, reducing the temptation to spread the fire, and you could get away with a small, hot burning fire. Rather than a load of fuel, without a clean burn, that is tough to keep burning easily.

JM2C!

I still work here!
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27 16 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose going 20x15 is an option. My main reason for not doing that is fear that it would look weird if I went too short. Using full length splits would probably be out of the question, but that is true if I built a square one as well.

The firebox on my personal pit that I built is oversized as well, but it is my first and only offset cooker and although I think it works pretty good, I always wonder if I am missing out on some efficiency. Don't have much frame of reference to compare it to. Appreciate your input
14" Weber Smokey Joe
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28 16 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go too large it changes the draft of the cooker. Going up to about 25% is about tops for me.

Hybrid Cooker
JLCBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28 16 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
When you go too large it changes the draft of the cooker. Going up to about 25% is about tops for me.

That's the answer I was looking for, thank you sir
14" Weber Smokey Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: