FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grill & BBQ restaurant in Norway seeking advise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24 16 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys!

I'm sorry. It might feel a little disrespectfull when I get all this good advice from you guys and fail to comment back on it. I'm truely sorry for the delay. I just got completely cramped with work after my (small) hotel got on the TripAdvisors Travelers Choice list for our category and country. Proud - yes - and it came as a strike of lightening. Now I can't get those offers out quickly enough.

On top of that I now have a 12 day deadline to decide if I should run with this new restaurant or not. I'm 80 % there I think.

The best thing with you guys are that you are honest and have an (experienced) set of fresh eyes. That is very usefull to have access to when you have drawn so many versions that you can't separate the good from the not so good anymore - and have kind of gotten "married" with one set of thinking.

So your comments helped me get out of that corner qfanatic! Thanks a bunch. I now have a version that I'm much happier with. Mind you - this one is not yet finished either, but for the moment I'm not worring too much about the front of house. I'll have an expert that's gonna look at that next week. The main thing is the kitchen and the line.

The entrance has changed (since we've actually moved the whole space further inside the same room. That has given us easy access to existing toilets, wardrobes and other useful stuff - and saved space and some money.

We do have to work with the HAACP guidelines - plus a little extra over here - so this cook-, chill-, store- and reheat cycle is going to be our toughest challenge. The menu I presented is more- "illustrational" (I should have said so in the first place). Not going to serve all that at the same time, but it's all items that I've done the math on and that can be circulated/tried out etc. Some of the dishes also have short seasons. I'm guessing I'm gonna start up with about 2/3rds of that. The comments about combo's are duly noted! Thanks!

That Josper is about half the price of the SPX-300 so that's not gonna kill my budget. It's more expencive to run though. And more work. But I guess my customer base has gotten to know me as a kind of a no-compromise kind of guy - so the Josper, being the first and only charcoal grill in my town is also part of the "marketing scheme".

The POS-list have changed a bit:
<small>
<table><tr><td>1. Freezer</td><td>2. Blast chiller</td></tr>
<tr><td>3. Trolley</td><td>4. Cooler</td></tr>
<tr><td>5. Freezer</td><td>6. Work bench</td></tr>
<tr><td>7B. Weight and labeling</td><td>7C. Double wall shelf</td></tr>
<tr><td>8. Meat grinder</td><td>9. Small mixer</td></tr>
<tr><td>10. Office</td><td>10B. Utensils, shelf</td></tr>
<tr><td>11. Walk in cooler</td><td>12. Trolley</td></tr>
<tr><td>13-15. Shelves</td><td>16. Vacuum machine</td></tr>
<tr><td>17. Trolley</td><td>18. Hand wash</td></tr>
<tr><td>19. Bench with shelves</td><td>20. Shelves</td></tr>
<tr><td>21. Rinsing drain (eng.?)</td><td>22. Rinsing shower (eng.?)</td></tr>
<tr><td>23-24. Dishwashers</td><td>25. Bench</td></tr>
<tr><td>26. Wall shelves</td><td>27. Basket rack</td></tr>
<tr><td>28. Hand wash</td><td>29. Holding cabinet on wheels</td></tr>
<tr><td>30. Cooler with drawers</td><td>31. Wall shelves</td></tr>
<tr><td>32. Josper grill</td><td>33. Smoker</td></tr>
<tr><td>34. Bench</td><td>35. Tortilla press</td></tr>
<tr><td>36. Flat top</td><td>37. Cooler with drawers and garnish well</td></tr>
<tr><td>38. Fryer (4 baskets)</td><td>39. Bench with undershelves</td></tr>
<tr><td>40. 2 hobs</td><td>41. Bain marie</td></tr>
<tr><td>42. Hand wash</td><td>43. Garbage wagons (under bench)</td></tr>
<tr><td>44. Bench with closet</td><td>45. Bar cooler</td></tr>
<tr><td>46. Slush maker</td><td>47. Bar cooler</td></tr>
<tr><td>48. Bar cooler</td><td>49. Bench with closet</td></tr>
<tr><td>50. Coffee maker</td><td>56. Hot lamps for service</td></tr></table></small>
I guess my code does not work although rather basic Smile

[/code]
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25 16 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put the shelving(15) across the wall on the bottom of your diagram with (10) and increase the size of your walk in cooler. Utilize both sides of that walk way.
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26 16 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hear yah. Been considering a similar path - but do worry I'll have little room for prep (since most prep will have to be done during service) - and that south wall is also a place to stack a few cases of various bottles etc.

I figure that this might be a better start - and that all that space can be re-designed if there is a problem. It would be more expensive to extend cooler space in the next round, but it would be really annoying to remove cooler space to add prep space (or something else that turns up in short demand)?

I can build that cooler a little taller than usual...
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27 16 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put that smoker through the window and just have the doors facing inside? You would gain a ton of space in your kitchen! Much easier and cheaper to vent as well. Generally you wouldn't have a cooler under the exhaust hood? Most restaurant lines are set up galley style. Were are you going to do your plating?
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02 16 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorwegianWood wrote:

That Josper is about half the price of the SPX-300 so that's not gonna kill my budget. It's more expencive to run though. And more work. But I guess my customer base has gotten to know me as a kind of a no-compromise kind of guy - so the Josper, being the first and only charcoal grill in my town is also part of the "marketing scheme".

For burgers, an open charcoal grill should be preferable to a Josper. Easier to move them around during cooking and better production flow than an oven which you have to open and close.

Supposedly, the Hawksmoor does most of its cooking on the open grills, not in the Jospers...
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02 16 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a while - but now the lease is signed and opening date is set for the 28th of July!

It's going to be one crazy ride!

Thanks again folks for picking my brain and challenging various parts of my concept. Don't know if there will be time to keep this post going - but maybe that would be fun?
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - time has passed and we have now been open for 22 days. It has been a crazy period with a full house from we open till we close. We're running about 4x our opening income budget and 98% of the reviews are very positive.

Every day, I silently thank all you ringers for all the advise I've had. About time I did it out loud too : THANKS A MILLION!

Especially to those of you that persuaded me to go with nothing smaller than an SP SPX-300 Smile

[img]https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13726834_301139786901823_4937102110028813712_n.jpg?oh=88a08744f2e017e0e80a4208e8a42fd8&oe=5813D839[/img]

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13731809_1801174640168877_1387314128259118343_o.jpg

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13737680_1801173353502339_8685583262435603098_o.jpg

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13710696_1801173150169026_5311003272615924974_o.jpg

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13701040_1801172763502398_4122181685188859824_o.jpg

Even though 98% of our guests are very happy - I can't say I'm happy with more than 80% of the food going out. And due to the enormous demand - we've not been able to fine tune and get good routines to improve that "internal scorecard". But I've gotta start now. And I'd thought I'd start with you guys. Again. Since I know it helps Smile

My 3 main issues are:

1. Reheating. Due to local regulations and cost of labour etc I'm reheating 80% of all brisket and pulled pork that goes out. It has first been smoked to it's normal core temp - then blast chilled - then reheated in the smoker - and finally put in a dry warming cabinet holding aprox 165 degrees. It works OK, but I'm hoping it can be done better. The brisket does dry out quite a bit during its (worst case) 2,5-3 our stay in there... Luckily my audience has mostly never eaten brisket before...

Do you think it would help to wrap in butcher paper inside the cabinet? Any other Ninja tricks that springs to mind?

I'm reheating twice during the night - and we do slice to order.

Oh - and does anyone have any experience with reheating the same piece of meat twice? I mean: smoke, blast chill, reheat in smoker, hold, blast chill, reheat in smoker and hold? I can't do it - so all my leftovers become a great chili - but if anyone knows how to ... Very Happy

2. Baby Backs. These are the only type of ribs available to us here - and they are cut to the bone. Very little meat. Quite high cost. People are crazy for them - but they can not be hold for more that about 20-30 minutes after finished. So I need to "batch up" several times during the night and I go in and out of "sold out mode" so often that it's confusing for both my guests and myself ...

3. Smoker heat control. My SP is propane fueled - and we add wood to a pilot flame for the smoke. The manual says we can add 3 logs of wood for "heavy smoke", but I don't think 3 logs of apple wood (basically my only source of wood) is espescially "heavy" in that respect. Also - if I do add 3 logs - I risk that the smoker get so hot (320 degrees) during the first hour so that it goes in "emergency mode" and cuts of the gas... Anyone familiar with these types of SP models that have any experience/advise?

I do have some thoughts on all these issues and will start working on these problems now. I just figured I'd ask you guys too so that I might save some time Smile

But again - thanks a bunch Ringers. I hope I get to meet some of you some day.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap the brisket and ribs in plastic wrap and hold, keeps the moisture in. Hold at 140 F As for the smoker, fill it with wood!!! the fan in back is what controls the heat, gas is an assist to the wood/coals to maintain consistent cooking heat. We fill our smokers with wood twice daily when we fill with meat and then let the coals and gas finish the job. Nice looking place.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22 16 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking place you have there. Congrats.

Need to resize your photos or the bear is going to convert them to links. 650 pixels on the longest edge or smaller IIRC.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1MoreFord wrote:
Need to resize your photos or the bear is going to convert them to links. 650 pixels on the longest edge or smaller IIRC.

Thanks for trying 1MoreFord! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23 16 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest keeping the meat selection simple in the beginning. I wouldn't do the brisket at first because it's the most difficult to do right.

"Real" BBQ places where I live cook a certain amount of meat and sell it until it's gone. They obviously want to minimize waste on the more expensive cuts, so they make extra pulled pork. Leftover pork goes into Brunswick Stew or hash (it's a South Carolina thing and probably not what you're thinking) the next day.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02 17 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a website? I wanted my son to see your restaurant design. Happy New Year
NorwegianWood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02 17 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we do Smile

Http://www.sorsidagrill.no

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: