FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground & Formed Bacon - Loaves and Cased

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12 17 11:51 pm    Post subject: Ground & Formed Bacon - Loaves and Cased Reply with quote

Normally just make the ground & formed bacon (venison/pork mix here) in loaves for bacon slices, but decided to stuff some of this batch in casings so we could have round slices for sandwiches. Smoked this batch with a blend of maple, hickory and cherry and when it was done fridged for the night.

-----

Next day sliced and vacuum sealed up the bacon...

-----

-----

Just had to make some bacon, egg and cheese biscuits for breakfast...

-----

Will definitely be making both loafed and cased ground & formed bacon from now on, the round slices are just too handy!
Thanks for looking!
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16 17 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sandwich looks awesome, Mossy Very Happy

This is the first I've heard of ground and formed bacon. I like to make traditional belly bacon, but this looks like something worth trying. What is the process you used?
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17 17 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suckaass wrote:
That sandwich looks awesome, Mossy Very Happy

This is the first I've heard of ground and formed bacon. I like to make traditional belly bacon, but this looks like something worth trying. What is the process you used?

Here are the directions.

Ground and Formed Bacon Recipe – 25 lb. batch
** These are only our recommendations for % of pork/venison, times, temps, and plate size for grinding **
12 ½ lbs. venison or beef and 12 ½ lbs. pork (Can also use 15 lbs. venison/beef and 10 lbs. pork)
1 package of Ground & Formed Bacon Seasoning
1 package of Maple Cure
1 ½ cups cold water

For a 12 ½ batch use 0.125 lb. (2 oz.) of Seasoning, 0.23 lb. (3.68 oz.) of Maple Cure, ¾ cup cold water.

Process:
• Grind pork and venison or beef through a 3/16” plate twice.
• Place meat in meat mixer or tote. Mix seasoning, water, and maple cure together then mix that into the meat mixture for 5-10 minutes. Meat will became tacky (sticky), mixing to this point is very important.
• Lay mixture in a pan lined with Saran Wrap, Cling Wrap, or Wax Paper (this makes the meat not stick to the pan while it is curing and much faster clean up). Use hands to push meat down and form a nice firm texture – we like to have about 2 inches of meat in the pan. Cover with plastic and put in refrigerator overnight to cure.

Smoking:
• Carefully turn pan upside down onto smokehouse racks so meat falls out of the pan. Be sure the cling wrap is not on the meat going into the smoker. Here is where you can add your own touch – top with maple syrup, cracked black pepper, Tatonka Dust….to make it your own.
• Set Smokehouse temp at around 130° with the damper open and add meat with no smoke for 1 to 2 hours or until the meat is dry to the touch.
• Turn the Smokehouse temp up to 150°- 160° with the damper open and smoke for 2-3 hours or until the desired color.
• Once you have the color you are going for you can stop smoking and finish cooking. Turn the Smokehouse up to 170° - 180° and cook until internal temp in 142°. Remove from smoker and let set for about 30 minutes and then refrigerate overnight to firm up.
• Next day – slice, package, and freeze.

** Note: Product must be cooked before eating**
** Product can be cooked in the oven and adding liquid smoke instead of using a smoker for the smoke flavor. Add 5 teaspoons of liquid smoke to the mixture when mixing in seasoning, cure and water. Instead of using a smoker, cook in an oven at 200° until the internal temp reaches 142°. Product MUST BE COOKED before eating.

Oven Directions:
• Carefully turn pan upside down onto oven racks so meat falls out of the pan. Be sure the cling wrap is not on the meat going into the oven. You may want to get some teflon screens or non-stick grill mats to lay on your oven racks.
• Cover bottom of oven with foil to catch grease drippings.
• Turn the oven to 200° and cook until internal temp in 142°.
• When done, place in cooler or fridge and chill overnight. Next day – slice, package, and freeze.

Seasoning and cure available here - www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17 17 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been hearing about this for a while but your sammie
convinced me to give it a try. Question I have is have you tried it with just pork, maybe a butt or shoulder?
What $ of fat 25-30?
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18 17 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Awesome Mossymo!.......Two questions; does the maple cure come with the ground & formed bacon seasoning (looking at your website it would appear so), and when will you be back selling Tatonka Dust?
Weber 22.5 Performer
MossyMO
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 17 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
Looks Awesome Mossymo!.......Two questions; does the maple cure come with the ground & formed bacon seasoning (looking at your website it would appear so), and when will you be back selling Tatonka Dust?

Yes, the maple cure comes with the Ground & Formed Bacon seasoning.

No definite answer for you on the Tatonka Dust seasoning, we are hoping only a few more months...
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24 17 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice MossyMO....I would kill for one of those BEC biscuits Laughing Laughing
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
JohnH12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 17 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Been hearing about this for a while but your sammie
convinced me to give it a try. Question I have is have you tried it with just pork, maybe a butt or shoulder?
What $ of fat 25-30?

Looks fantastic! I'll be waiting on the answer to the question above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: