FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rehash- logs vs splits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:14 am    Post subject: rehash- logs vs splits Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed before but maybe bring it up for some of the newer folks:

BACKSTORY: I was able to get a pickup load of hickory that was cut down last year. The guy ran most of it through a splitter but left some in logs. They aren't very big - 6"-9" , a few may be 10-11" - diameters - and are about 18" long. The rest was split but all are large and I normally split again at least once some 2-3 times. I have quite a bit left from my first purchase from him, but before I got low I wanted another pile stacked and aging. Think I got a good price at $100.00 for the truckload delivered to the house.

Question/discussion point:

Should I go ahead and split the logs which should help out in the seasoning process or could I burn them hole on some of my longer cooks, knowing it will take longer to season?

Thanks,
Chris
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that I live fairly close (40 miles) to a saw mill that makes blanks for hammer handles and I can get Hickory that is about 18-22 inches long and about 2 inches square that is free of most of the bark. I do keep some other hickory on hand and I prefer to have it all split. I have used pieces about 4-5 inches in diameter that were not split and I just don't like the way I burns when it has bark on all sides. It seems like the bark covered wood is just a little more acidic but it could just be me. I split all of mine if I'm not burning the hammer handle blanks.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff has a thin bark, I havent tried to burn one yet - dont want to mess up a pit with acidic smoke - maybe I should try a small open pit fire.

My mesquite pit is set up to burn slow, I use whole logs in it to get long smoke times unattended for hours. I also build those fires upside down and burn top down, and the mesquite is kiln dried.

Thanks for your input....
Smile
brutus1964
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole pieces that I have burned in the past just had a thin layer of bark as well. They were not terribly acidic but just seemed to burn a little different. I think the fact that the thin layer of bark stays on the wood that it prevents it from drying at the same rate as the splits. I have enough hickory available that I can usually just get splits and not deal with the smaller pieces anymore.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 07 16 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy you. Back in TX my friend managed a small ranch (1800 acres) full of mesquite trees that were bulldozed down. As he did clean up on the place, if I went over and helped run the splitter I could load up the truck. He always had a huge pile split up if I ran low.

I have a sawmill close to me here but getting there when they are open to pick up the slabs is a bit of a challenge. They run hickory oak and a few other hardwoods.

Sure miss that mesquite though.

I guess I need to suck it up get this little batch split. Using a maul. I tried building a manual splitter that someone else posted on here. Didn't hold up on the green stuff, broke all the welds each time.
DUMMY QUE

PostPosted: Mon May 30 16 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

split wood to dia. cpoke can yes it will season faster hole rounds tend to smolder rather then burn
Alphonse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 16 10:34 am    Post subject: no bark for me Reply with quote

I like it split. Plus I skin the bark off if I am adding wood to an ongoing cook. I never add bark to a fire after I have started cooking.

It's okay when first building a fire and getting it going. But I will not start to cook until the bark has been burned. I do not the bitter taste bark gives the meat.

So I am not generally a fan of unsplit pieces.
frankenfab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22 17 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs at least one flat side in order to burn well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: