FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Pig on the trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17 17 8:54 pm    Post subject: First Pig on the trailer Reply with quote

Again, props to Smokin Mike for his hard work on this trailer. You rule!

Decided to use the AmazingRibs.com method for my first whole hog on the trailer. 70lb pig, nothing heritage or too fancy here.

Had to do most of the butchering and cleaning myself to make it all lay flat, expose the shoulders and hams, cut off hocks/trotters. Injected and rubbed down with 1 cup of rub.

Foiled the ears and tail, then went meat side down for the first 4 hours to try and crisp up the skin. Skin was watered and then sprinkled with Kosher salt

Taking the foil off around 3.5 hours in

Here it is just after the flip - rolling along around 250 degrees average, head at the cool end of the pit.

9 hours in, temp check - around 160 at this point

Didn't get a pick of us basting with some glaze near the end but here are two shots of us pulling the meat from the bone.

Pulling the hams

Pulling some shoulder

Overall this went better than I hoped, meat was very tender and seasoned. A little heavy on the smoke using hickory only but I can easily adjust that piece. Color was good so it really was only a flavor thing.

For serving, I chopped it all together and seasoned it with Vinegar and a little more rub along with a splash of Texas Petes. I really wanted the pork to shine and it did. Tenderloins and jowls were the stars by a mile. Most of the skin was way to tough, some I chopped into sandwiches and the rest I gave to a friend to try and fry. Didn't invite a ton of guests so the freezer is full of awesome chopped pork!

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18 17 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of smoker is that, that uses NFS storage racks as cooking racks...and what were they coated with? Not criticizing, just curious.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18 17 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good looking pig. It looks great. Thanks for posting.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
Snowsmoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20 17 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
What kind of smoker is that, that uses NFS storage racks as cooking racks...and what were they coated with? Not criticizing, just curious.

Its a home-made trailer from a 200 gallon water tank. The builder who posts quite a bit on here recommended the racks because they come "food safe" for cooking and many comp judges like to see that during check in. I don't have anymore insight than that but I asked him to chime in too. They clean up real nice and are cheap to replace.
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 17 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowsmoke

Real nice job and nice color looks like good eating

Boomer
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22 17 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking pig Snowsmoke.

Doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: