FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I brined my chicken to death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidlebo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 9:50 am    Post subject: I think I brined my chicken to death Reply with quote

Here’s what happened…

Wifey picked up a shredded cabbage salad with grilled chicken from our local Viet restaurant (never had Viet food? Try it first, then laugh at it if you want…you may never go back to Thai or Chinese…).

The salad comes with a lot of dressing/sauce on the side. The sauce has oil, probably some rice wine vinegar, a lot of garlic, pepper, sugar or some other sweetener, and I believe a little fish oil.

It makes for a great chicken marinate…I’ve used it on boneless skinless breasts and thighs a few times before with great success. Usually, I marinate for an hour or two.

So, this time I let the chicken marinate for 48 hours…

I’m telling you, this chicken was no longer chicken. It looked just fine going on the grill, but when it was done, the texture was hard and rubbery, not soft and fleshy. I’m not talking about over-cooked rubbery, I’m talking about tastes like it was never a real animal to begin with rubbery. It even made these solid 'clicking' sounds when I cut it!

The piece that was completely submerged under the marinate the whole time was 100% inedible. The other piece, which was only mostly submerged, was only mostly inedible.

So, what do you all think…did I kill the bird? Did I turn my cucumber into a pickle?

I appreciate the feedback.

PS: The chicken breasts were from my very reliable local butcher.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The acid in your marinade did that, here's a link about marinading with acids. Something as tender already as chicken breast probably only needs about 2 hours in an acidic marinade.

http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-marinate-meat/
kidlebo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rod, that link was quite helpful.

I think this part pretty much sums it:

"When meat is exposed to an acidic marinade, the bonds break between protein bundles, and the proteins unwind, forming a loose mesh. Initially, water is trapped within this protein “net” and tissue remains moist and juicy. But after a while, the protein bonds tighten, water squeezes out, and the tissue toughens.

Acidic marinades might actually toughen chicken. So when using a highly acidic marinade for chicken, add a little olive oil and/or minimize marinating time."

I feel like I should have known this already, but at least I know it now.

Thanks again!
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31 17 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite welcome...my list of should have knowns is quite long, most learned before there was anything called the internet I could get help with...never quit experimenting and never quit playing with your food!
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01 17 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with a lot of Hmong people, I think that is what you meant by Viet food. They make the best egg rolls I have ever eaten.And some of my daughters friends have taught her how to make them. I am set here.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: