FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting bark on yout butt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barry
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05 17 5:54 am    Post subject: Getting bark on yout butt? Reply with quote

Do you guys have a desired cooking temp and/or a particular rub to get the best bark on a boston butt?

Thanks for helping this newbie!
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05 17 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually rub my butts with kosher salt and cook them at 275. This usually gives me a pretty good bark. I do use a rub sometimes as well that is made with salt turbinado sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder and red and black pepper. This gives a good bark as well. If you are wrapping your butts in foil to finish this could soften the bark a little bit but I usually wrap and still get a pretty good bark. I hope this helps.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06 17 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want bark? Use a rub that has some sugar in it. If you wrap and are unhappy with your bark, pan it half way through and don't cover it. If you have a favorite rub with little or no sugar add a small amount of turbinado sugar. You can get nice bark @225 or @275. I prefer cooking butts in the 260-270 range. I went years with no foiling or panning but recently went back to panning about 60% of the way into the cook, mainly to capture broth that I will skim....still get my bark and get to pour some love over the final product or have broth for reheating.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07 17 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as Hawg does except I put a rack in the pan under my butts...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: