FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corned Beef/Pastrami Recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piedmont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 17 12:39 am    Post subject: Corned Beef/Pastrami Recipe Reply with quote

I have searched many sources for authentic corned beef/pastrami and gave up! Too many conflicting ingredients and procedures. So I finally got off my butt and opened the good ole stand by - "Joy of Cooking", cookbook.

It'd been 7 years since I was able to visit family in Dallas, TX. Packer beef price in the Carolina's is absurd, so I grabbed four 14-18LB packer cut briskets at $1.98 per lb.

Getting ready to process half of it into Pastrami!

Corned Beef (From; Joy of Cooking)

This salted beef actually has nothing to do with corn but got its name in Anglo-Saxon times when a granular salt the size of a kernel of wheat-"corn" of course to a Briton -was used to process it. To corn, combine:

4 quarts hot water
2 cups coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1-1/2 teaspoons saltpeter or sodium nitrate,

When cool, pour over;

A 5-lb. piece of beef: brisket or tongue
which has been placed in a deep enameled pot or stoneware jar.

Add: 3 cloves garlic

Weigh meat to keep it submerged, and cover pot.

Cure in refrigerator 3 weeks, turning meat every 5 days.

To cook for corned beef, wash under running water to remove surface brine; Cover with boiling water and simmer, allowing about 1 hour per pound, or until a fork can penetrate to center. Always slice corned beef thin.

(Note: On; RazzleDazzleRecipes.com they say authentic is steamed. Which I did once and it cooked nicely and in little time! I was amazed at how quickly it cooked.)

For Pastrami

To convert the corned beef to pastrami, do not boil, the meat must be smoked. After brining wash under running water to remove surface brine, commercial pastrami is cooked entirely by hot smoking. At 320 degrees for 6 top 7 hours, using plenty of oak and or hickory chips.

(Note; I bought a jar of McCormick Pickling Spice and the ingredients were as follows, cinnamon, allspice, mustard seed, bay leaves, ginger, chillies, cloves, black pepper, mace, cardamom and sulfiting agents.)
JohnH12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 17 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm curious. Can I just buy a commercial corned beef package, rinse and smoke it to turn it into pastrami?
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 17 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnH12 wrote:
So I'm curious. Can I just buy a commercial corned beef package, rinse and smoke it to turn it into pastrami?

I cooked a few pre-corned just rinsed and seasoned the whole thing with fresh cracked black pepper and coriander seeds.

It's good that way, maybe a little salty for my taste.

I would much rather make it from scratch. It's will worth the wait
Piedmont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06 18 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnH12 wrote:

Sure, but be aware the shrinkage is about 60%, but yeah, pastrami as it says is simply corned beef that has been smoked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: