FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken Wings, Anyone else doing them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 12:15 pm    Post subject: Chicken Wings, Anyone else doing them? Reply with quote

We started doing wings, classic Buffalo style, but with a slight twist to keep raw chicken off my line.

We get whole fresh wings, I joint them, then we smoke them just until they hit 165, chill them, portion them into 10-piece portions, and we drop them in the fryer when ordered.

Wing sales were sporadic at best for the first few weeks, now we have problems keeping up with them they got so populare, especially when we get multiple orders for 50-piece plates per day.

I smoked 2 cases last night, they're gone already, got another 2 smoking right now which will hopefully get us through Sunday
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple for us, drummets only, no handling or prep. We get them fresh daily, into the fryer raw one fry at 190c for about 5-7 minutes tossed in a big bowl with sauce and serve.
We've found that with a good flavorful sauce there's no need to be smoking them, the final flavor is just not that much different, especially with very spicy sauces which is very common here. We do 4 sauces one typical buffalo and 3 asian blends all very spicy.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered doing them but the food cost seems to swing. I was leaning more towards legs which are a much better value with much more meat for the money.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We offer quarters with a side of spicy rice along with just wings at the same venues, they both sell well for us. The quarters are smoked and glazed but the wings, just deep fried. We tried just legs smoked/glazed, but didn't seem to sell well for us, then again very different customer base from yours!
We are selling into B&M bars and beer halls and both sell well at those venues, while concerts and other walk ups without seating are more towards just wings, for lunch its quarters and rice by far when compared to wings.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15 15 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,
The sole reason I smoke them is to avoid any raw chicken on the prep line. If I have a guy handling raw chicken, and he grabs my tongs, then I get raw chicken on my chopping block and cross contaminate everything around
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17 15 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
I have considered doing them but the food cost seems to swing.

Chicken wing volatility is crazy. First you have the general chicken volatility, which is intrinsically high, as chicken can only be kept alive for a few days beyond the scheduled slaughter time.

On top, you have the dynamics around wings with Super Bowl, Buffalo Wild Wings, McDonald's promos, etc.

Quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-buffalo-wild-wings/
Quietman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 15 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We serve smoked, bourbon glazed wings as part of our catering.(Thanks to Wingman for the glaze recipe)

We have no brick and mortar, and wings do not "fly" on the vending circuit that we work.
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08 15 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our place the wings are very popular. It is maybe a local thing as I had no intention of selling wings when we opened, but soon found out that everybody wanted them. So I decided that I would try to make the very best wing I could.

We put an even rub on each wing and smoke till 165f and then cool and store. We sell these every day, but Wednesday is our wing special day and we sell 250-325lb on most Wednesdays. We have a good following simply because they are smoked. There is a big difference in flavor as well as texture. More fat is rendered out from under the skin and they are a bit less chewy than just deep frying them. We have tested side by side and the difference is clear.

The downside of wings is the cost and the work involved. I am down to only cooking one night a week now as I have 2 other cooks. Wing night is MY night and it gets pretty crazy in that kitchen:)
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09 15 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjbbq wrote:
At our place the wings are very popular. It is maybe a local thing as I had no intention of selling wings when we opened, but soon found out that everybody wanted them. So I decided that I would try to make the very best wing I could.

We put an even rub on each wing and smoke till 165f and then cool and store. We sell these every day, but Wednesday is our wing special day and we sell 250-325lb on most Wednesdays. We have a good following simply because they are smoked. There is a big difference in flavor as well as texture. More fat is rendered out from under the skin and they are a bit less chewy than just deep frying them. We have tested side by side and the difference is clear.

The downside of wings is the cost and the work involved. I am down to only cooking one night a week now as I have 2 other cooks. Wing night is MY night and it gets pretty crazy in that kitchen:)

I have realized that we are the only place around doing anything close to traditional wings that are not breaded, or that go from the back of a Sysco truck, to freezer, to fryer.

I am betting that having non-breaded wings is also a huge draw for you too.
If the weather is ever nice on a Mon or Tue, I may need to jump on the bike and pay a visit one of these days before the snow flies
Philcancookph

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 15 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did them in both my restaurants and was my number one seller. Rubbed, smoked, and then deep fried to order. Was doing about 25 cases a week between both stores.

Former Pitmaster at local Bbq restaurant and kcbs competitor
loungefly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25 15 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread. I've always wanted to do these at home but never got around to it.

Does anyone serve smoked wings without frying them afterward?

Also, what temp do you guys smoke them at and how long do they usually take?

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26 15 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loungefly wrote:
Very interesting thread. I've always wanted to do these at home but never got around to it.

Does anyone serve smoked wings without frying them afterward?

Also, what temp do you guys smoke them at and how long do they usually take?

Smoked wings are spectacular right out of the pit, but they do not hot-hold well,
I'd love to do a more traditional wing that goes from raw to fryer and served, but cross contamination concerns me and our customers are really digging the slight smoke flavor. Many people order our wings with no sauce because of it.
A slight bonus for cost ratios I guess
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27 16 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dry rub and smoke only, very good but i havent tried selling them yet. Cj
Swapspit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12 18 3:43 am    Post subject: chicken wangs Reply with quote

i smoke them , refrigerate and then fry them off to order and finish with a dry rub. Yes profit margins on this are slim. I sell 2 full jumbo wings for $5 or a 3 wing platter with cornbread fritters and a side and a piece of texas toast for $9.99. We also toss them in a maple mustard sauce for our chicken n waffles for breakfast service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: