FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help on a flat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 27 18 10:59 pm    Post subject: Help on a flat Reply with quote

Anyone help on smoking a flat. time and temp I have always done packer trim. I have a wsm and a electric chip smoker thanks for the info.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 28 18 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would leave as much fat on it as possible. It's probably already trimmed too much anyway. Smoke just as you would a packer. I think I might would go in the lower (250) range...I like higher than that for packers. Probe tender as with any cook. Wrap & give it a long rest.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29 18 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the tip I am a 225 12-14 hour packer guy. Guess I will just play with it thanks
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 30 18 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey halftimer, for what it's worth I smoked a 5# flat and a 3 1/2 pounder yesterday in a kettle. Blue bag Kingsford and several small chunks of oak and pecan. Ran around 250 all day. 8 hour cook. Small one was from Walmart. 5 pounder was from a local grocery here in Pryor, OK. Injected both with beef broth the night before, rubbed with salt and pepper just before I lit the chimney. The small one was done in 6 1/2 hours. Took em to 165, then wrapped them (loosely) in foil with a little broth. When the small one got to 195, I took them both out of the foil. I was a bit surprised to find that the bigger one had the same internal temp! I had an ET-73 probe in the small one. After it got to 195, I took em out of the foil. I checked them with a Javelin Pro instant read thermometer for temp. and tenderness about every 5 degrees or so. The small one was probe tender at about 205. The other one went all the way to 212. Rested them an hour and a half, then sliced em. They were awesome!
I realize that a kettle will cook different than a smokey mountain, but I hope this helps!
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 30 18 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the tip I am a 225 12-14 hour packer guy. Guess I will just play with it thanks
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 31 18 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 31 18 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01 18 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmike25 wrote:
Hey halftimer, for what it's worth I smoked a 5# flat and a 3 1/2 pounder yesterday in a kettle. Blue bag Kingsford and several small chunks of oak and pecan. Ran around 250 all day. 8 hour cook. Small one was from Walmart. 5 pounder was from a local grocery here in Pryor, OK. Injected both with beef broth the night before, rubbed with salt and pepper just before I lit the chimney. The small one was done in 6 1/2 hours. Took em to 165, then wrapped them (loosely) in foil with a little broth. When the small one got to 195, I took them both out of the foil. I was a bit surprised to find that the bigger one had the same internal temp! I had an ET-73 probe in the small one. After it got to 195, I took em out of the foil. I checked them with a Javelin Pro instant read thermometer for temp. and tenderness about every 5 degrees or so. The small one was probe tender at about 205. The other one went all the way to 212. Rested them an hour and a half, then sliced emThey were awesome!
I realize that a kettle will cook different than a smokey mountain, but I hope this helps!

That's the help I was looking for. I had thought about injecting but wasn sure what with the beef broth is a great ideal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: