FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally, A Competition Worthy Brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loungefly

PostPosted: Thu May 31 18 1:32 pm    Post subject: Finally, A Competition Worthy Brisket Reply with quote

Hi folks. I don't post much on here but I do check in from time to time. I have been on my bbq journey for a little over ten years. I cooked some pretty bad bbq back in my early years. But with a lot of tips and tricks that I have learned over the years, many of which were learned on thesmokering, I'm pretty happy with my bbq cooking these days.

One of the things I did to help with my cooking was to become a CBJ with the KCBS a few years back. After judging a few competitions, I had judged enough superior brisket entries to know what to expect out of a championship brisket.

I'm guessing I have smoked approx. 40 briskets on 30 different occasions in the last 10 years and I could never get my briskets to what I considered that championship level. For many of those cooks, I literally would baby those brisket with every trick I learned to get them to championship level but I just couldn't do it. I'm telling you, I would literally babysit some of those briskets for 10+ hours. I thought I tried everything. Or so I thought.

Living in mid-Michigan, briskets are not as easy to come by as they are like in the South. For years, I would have to settle on whatever Sam's Club or Gordon's would have to offer. They were always choice grade and usually above $3.00 per lb. However, a new Costco opened near me a few months back so I got a membership there. On my first visit, I found they had prime grade briskets for $2.90 per lb. I got a case. I felt like a kid in a candy store.

My first attempt with one of these prime briskets did not go well. I wanted to see what a prime brisket would do without the cooking tricks I had learned over the years. I rubbed it with Butcher BBQ rub and threw it on my pit. I set it and forget it for 10+ hours. It ended up dried and overcooked. In short, it was very disappointing.

I got my redemption this past weekend. I had a 17 lb packer but I separated the flat from the point and trimmed them both pretty good (I have to admit, I separated the point and the flat due to a known short cooking time - I threw the meat on my pit at 7:00AM knowing that dinner time was 5:00PM sharp). I injected both the point and the flat. I utilized a waterpan with this cook whereas I did not with my prior brisket. I foiled the flat when it reached 160 degrees with a touch of moisture. I was able to pull the foiled flat off my pit approx 45 minutes before dinner time so I covered it with a towel to keep warm before slicing. I pulled the point off one hour before dinner time, cubed and prepped it for burnt ends, and threw it back on the pit for the last hour.

Jackpot! My flat was finally comparable to those championship quality briskets that I tried as a CBJ. I believe all those tips and tricks I learned over the years definitely help cook a better brisket. But there is no question in my mind that a prime brisket will far exceed a choice brisket given all other factors are the same. Looking back, I guess this is something I should have figured out a few years back but I was never able to procure a prime grade brisket.

I look forward to refining my brisket cooking techniques now that I feel like I have got "over the hump". If my post helps anyone else on thesmokering to cook a better brisket, that would make me happy. And again, I'm really grateful for all the great information that I have learned over the year from this website. Thank you everyone!

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01 18 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought prime from my sams the biggest difference I notice was the yield was a lot more at what temp was you cooking your flat? Thanks
loungefly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 18 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep my briskets between 250 and 275 degrees with the occasional spikes up to 300. I gave up on smoking briskets at 225 a long time ago - it just takes too long.

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
brewsterb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04 18 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post couldn’t have come at a better time. This helps out a lot. I also recently found out that Costco started bringing in brisket up here and I tried smoking one this weekend with the same result as your first one. I put a 7lb brisket on this morning at around 7:30, Pulled it off around 6pm wrapped it in foil and let it rest for an hour and was disappointed to find out that it was dried out. I will definitely try my next one like you suggest.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08 18 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewster, when you took your brisket off how did it probe? In other words, what was the sign that told you that the brisket was ready to come off the pit?
petersh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 18 12:00 pm    Post subject: 300 to 350 Reply with quote

I don't know why but I usually put my briskets at 300 to 350 degrees.
I think it may be too old
brewsterb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 18 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still consider myself a definite rookie when it comes to low and slow bbq. I ended up leaving it on the smoker until the internal temp was around 190. Then pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and let it rest about 45 min. This time I think I’ll pull off at 165, then wrap it in foil with a little moisture and put it back on the smoker until 200 range.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11 18 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewsterb wrote:
I still consider myself a definite rookie when it comes to low and slow bbq. I ended up leaving it on the smoker until the internal temp was around 190. Then pulled it off, wrapped it in foil and let it rest about 45 min. This time I think I’ll pull off at 165, then wrap it in foil with a little moisture and put it back on the smoker until 200 range.

If you pull it and wrap it and 165, no moisture will be necessary, it will still have "a lot" of fat to render.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: