FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain Crunch Cornbread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 9:44 am    Post subject: Captain Crunch Cornbread Reply with quote

Captain Crunch Cornbread

Looking for a side dish that will sure get some attention; this is it. From deep in my southern roots of North Carolina comes this family favorite. We start with the basics of cornbread from scratch and at least move it into the 20th. Century. Instead of using stone ground cornmeal (what are we.... animals?) I chose to use Cornbread Meal Mix instead of instant cornbread. The difference is that the cornmeal mix already has the flour, salt and baking powder already mixed in.

Follow the directions on the package and add in one finely sliced and chopped jalapeño (medium heat) and one egg (per direction). Combine the dry elements (do not add the Capt. Crunch yet) and then add in the two cups of milk. Let that stand for about 5 minutes (you will notice the foam).
*** For sweeter cornbread, you can add 2 tbsp. of honey.

In a glass-baking dish, melt 3 tbsp. of butter. Now the recipe normally calls for greasing the dish with shortening but I like butter better; so make sure that the dish is coated with butter on the sides to prevent sticking. The butter will also give you a slight crust on the bottom when you are done.

Slowly pour in 1/2 of the batter. You do not want to pour in all of the batter because the cereal will try and float on top. After you have 1/2 of the batter poured in, you can layer in the dry cereal. Add one cup evenly to the surface of the batter.

Pour in the remaining batter (making sure to coat all of the cereal).

Place in a preheated 425 oven for about 45 minutes. About half way through the cook, take a look at the surface of the dish. If you notice browning already, cover with foil and continue to bake.

When a toothpick draws out cleanly, remove the dish from the oven and allow to cool.

This dish is somewhat sweet with a slight kick of heat from the jalapeño. It is a perfect paring with pulled pork or any type of Mexican dish. Add a little sour cream for a more savory dish or whipped cream for a unique desert. Bon appetit ... señor!

Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! That looks good, I'm gonna try it! Tks!
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is a different take on cornbread Alien BBQ.....but I like it. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08 16 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like sweet cornbread with my butterbeans, chili, etc, but I bet that would be great in a glass of buttermilk. Nice job...
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 18 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04 18 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Alien BBQ Very Happy
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15 18 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally made this yesterday -

Comments: this is awesome, nice and sweet from the cereal actually. little heat from the cornbread

Questions: I followed the corn meal package instructions then added the jalapeno and cereal as instructed. cooked in an 8 x 8 pyrex pan for 24 minutes at 400. the bottom basically wasn't cooked and the top half was brown and nice. any idea why?

should I have added 2 cups of milk as you said verse the one cup the package said and cooked at 425 for 45 mins?

the taste was killer and people thought it was awesome. now I want to nail the rest. thx in advance?

twitter @therealmikesnow to see pics.
captain_tinker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 18 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that looks SO AWESOME!!! I am totally going to try this sometime! Shocked Laughing
AnhartGeorge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 18 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks delicious! I'll be taking note of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: