FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

120 gallon reverse flow build opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qinkc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 16 9:40 pm    Post subject: 120 gallon reverse flow build opinions Reply with quote

I used Feldon's calculator and came up with this:

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

120 gallon reverse flow is what Im after. Firebox is oversized, ~125% of what is required, but I think thatll be OK? I'd rather have a little extra room to move logs around and such. Dimensions are 24W x 24L x 20"H. It sounds like 25% oversize is the max a lot of people will do on the firebox, but maybe I can cut down the length by a few inches and get it down a bit.

I was kicking around the idea of an insulated firebox, 1/4" inner box, 1" square tube around the inner box, ceramic insulation in between, then something thinner like 1/8" for the outer box.

I havent decided yet if I am going to build it on a trailer or on a cart i can roll in and out of the garage, which was my original intent. Though i think i might have regrets in the future of having it be less mobile if i wanted to do a conpetition or something. I thought a cart I can roll in and out of my garage would be more space friendly, as I didn't really want to burn up a whole garage bay with a smoker trailer right now. Maybe someone can talk some sense into me one way or another.

How do those calculations look? Any other suggestions? Im ready to order the metal once i have finalized the dimensions.

Something like this is what I was after with the cart idea (nice smoker, if this is yours)

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 16 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine with the firebox size.
Depending on where you are located and average temps in the winter would dictate on whether or not an insulated firebox would be worth the added expense to me. If you average the 30°'s I would not bother.
A lot of teams here in Texas use the cart cookers and roll them on and off their trailers or cargo haulers. If you're looking to save space I would go that route.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
qinkc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 16 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can get pretty cold in the winter time here (midwest), but my main reason for wanting insulated firebox is to make it harder to get burned by touching it. Increased fuel efficiency is an added bonus though.

I think you're right about the cart idea, I can always buy or borrow a 5x8 trailer or something if I wanted to take it to a competition and have the best of both worlds.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 16 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qinkc A cart should do you just fine unless it is going to be used more often off site. An insulated fire box is great if you have party's with small kids or many drunk friends Wink Laughing Wink I use my non insulated fire box in very cold NE PA and it works fine...plus I like to pre warm my splits on the top of the fire box to help with a clean fire.
kevsimons

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 18 3:28 am    Post subject: That's mine. Lol Reply with quote

Thanks. I built that unit a couple years ago. Check out my Fb page Cookers by Kev
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 18 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After building my Road Hawg Cooker , And cooking on it for the last 7 , 8 years.
I sure wish I'd of used Tuning Plates instead of building a Reverse flow.
JM2C.
BcubedQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 18 6:12 am    Post subject: Check out my build Reply with quote

Check out my build... I think it’s right in your wheelhouse 👍🏻 Good luck, they’re all an adventure lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: