FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I season with a little MSG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaxMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07 18 9:50 am    Post subject: Should I season with a little MSG? Reply with quote

Debates about wholesomeness aside, I am considering running a little MSG into my usual breakfast sausage that I'll be making in two days and I'm wondering what the thoughts on that are here in this forum.

The recipe I've been following is the FoodNetwork basic breakfast recipe here: Clicky.

The recipe has gotten good reviews from friends and wifey, so I don't want to really change the spirit of it but I think that a little of this MSG, either in addition to the salt called for or in place of 10% or so of the salt, could be the ticket.

I'm certain that someone here has not only used MSG in sausage, but has used it in a recipe didn't specifically call out for it, and I'd like some opinions.

Even if you haven't used it, if you have a few thoughts about it, I'd love to hear 'em.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 18 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG (Monosodium glutamate) is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, a naturally occuring amino acid found in certain foods we associate with "umami" flavours (think tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, soy, etc).

I have no issue with using it in moderation as certain things benefit from the use of MSG. It has become very misaligned as of recent years, with many claims made about the negative impact of MSG on people's health. There is little scientific data to back up many of these claims and being that most commercial MSG is derived from sugar beets (originally seaweed) and is already naturally occuring, I feel like it is perfectly safe in moderation.

I have never used any in my sausages but see no reason why you can't try. Personally I try to keep the non-naturally derived seasonings to a minimum when I make sausage but that is not always possible (curing salts, binders, cultures are often used in my sausages) You can also look at using foods with the same umami flavour profile to mimic what MSG will do. Think soy sauce, fish sauce, parmesan rinds in a soup or pasta sauce, stewed or paste tomatoes, etc. These are all more natural items that are high in glutamic acid and serve the same affect. If you do not wish to impart a specific flavour than by all means use the MSG powder as it will increase your savory flavours. Sorry I don't have any ratio to suggest but most commercial MSG contains sodium levels that are 60% lower than common salt. Also, use sparingly as too much MSG can actually ruin the taste of your food and make it sort of sweet and flavourless, the opposite of what it does in small amounts. I believe somewhere around 1/2tsp per pound of meat was the max but I can't recall exactly, maybe someone else can clarify usage amounts?
TaxMan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 18 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I'd thought about adding a little tomato juice, and I think that I may split the batch and do at least a few patties with that in there and see how that turns out.

Since I'm not stuffing this batch, I can do a lot of experimenting.

I don't think that it would ruin the batch to try it, but I always try to get a little insight before a change that I haven't tried before.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09 18 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a Jimmy Dean rip-off breakfast sausage that I could not get where I wanted it until I started adding .25 tsp. of Accent per lb. As said above a little goes a long ways.
TaxMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10 18 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, I don't know if the MSG helped, but it sure didn't hurt.

My eval of this recipe with the MSG is that it turned out glorious.

It turned out absolutely great!

Room for improvement, of course, but I always think that's the case. Maybe more pepper, but I'm waiting for the critics to get here and try some.

I increased all of the ingredients in the recipe by 40% (plus an extra 3/4 tsp Kosher after the first sample), as I had 40% more pork butt than called out for in the recipe, and I cut out the fat back, as I prefer the ratio of fat in the butts around here without anything additional. The amount of MSG added for my 6.2 lbs of meat was 2 tsp.

I kinda wish I'd saved some of the last recipe I did to compare it to what I made today, but...it's sausage, I think you really have to try to mess it up.

Not to say that I haven't made sausage that I fed to the dog...but I sure learn more from the bent recipes than I do from the ones that turn out well, and I learn a lot from every batch.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13 18 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issues with MSG. It makes good stuff, better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: