FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is everyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 18 8:43 am    Post subject: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

After watching for several days and entering a couple of posts it appears that it has been DAYS since anyone has put anything on any of the forums.

It has been a few years since I frequented the forum. It used to be a hopping, happening place. What gives? Did I miss something? I used to live for the build threads.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 18 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing.
ghost town here
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 18 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
After watching for several days and entering a couple of posts it appears that it has been DAYS since anyone has put anything on any of the forums.

It has been a few years since I frequented the forum. It used to be a hopping, happening place. What gives? Did I miss something? I used to live for the build threads.

Too many people with the same story as you, it is a real shame, - all the info available and all the friendships built here over the years. There are still a few of us hanging around- if more people start posting it can still turn around...
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01 18 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small build going on. I guess I will post progress a few more times. If no interest probably won't continue.

Seems to be plenty of activity at a couple of other BBQ sites. Can't figure this out. Did someone die or get pi$$ed off?
Natural Hattrick 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 18 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back after about a 2 year absence. I don't remember the activity being this slow either.
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 18 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
If no interest probably won't continue.

I been watchin Smile
It's been pretty dead around here for quite a while now. I've been hanging on, faithfully waiting for the revival. And I won't abandon the ring until it's officially dead and gone.
By the way smootz, at least stick around until you're done with the "little cooker build" Wink
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 18 11:08 pm    Post subject: Kind of dead Reply with quote

It's been rather slot here lately.

First it turned into a "here is what I am having for dinner" forum, which got a bit boring and probably made a lot of folks who wanted to discuss the ins and outs of Q leave.

Then, that stopped, too.

We are the only ones who can turn it around, so please post your top-secret rub recipe, a question on how to smoke brisket, or something...
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04 18 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the people I made friendships with here, many have had their lives change as mine has. My wife was diagnosed with cancer 6.5 years ago and after years of seeing her through extensive treatment she now needs 24/7 care. I left my job a year ago to be home with her. I still lurk around hoping to see some of the old crew to catch up with them.

Between death, illness, natural disasters, work changes, guys leaving the restaurant business for new adventures......you name it.......it has taken it's toll. This board had a lot of complaints over the years about not updating, picture posting being difficult etc. It was still supported by a loyal group but the base wasn't growing. Newer, more user friendly options became available. Guys that compete developed their own websites or Facebook pages and didn't want to be doing duplicate work, posting in multiple places. Photobucket was pretty much everyone's go to picture hosting site and first became a PITA and is now impossible to use.

I really miss the relationships and often wonder about how the many good people I met on here are doing. I'm still very thankful for The Ring and all I learned on here from the many good people. It was truly the best forum I had ever been on with outstanding people.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 18 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where recipe's have been done to death and I was never a fan of photo bucket. I did and still use flickr. It is amazingly easy.

A few years back I used to get annoyed that the moderator(s) let stuff go so far off topic and allowed unnecessary pissing contests but I still hung in to see what everyone was building.

Other BBQ sites seem to be flourishing. Hate that this one isn't. There were (and still may be) some great craftsmen here. Archives here are still a great resource.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 18 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz wrote:
I can see where recipe's have been done to death and I was never a fan of photo bucket. I did and still use flickr. It is amazingly easy.

A few years back I used to get annoyed that the moderator(s) let stuff go so far off topic and allowed unnecessary pissing contests but I still hung in to see what everyone was building.

Other BBQ sites seem to be flourishing. Hate that this one isn't. There were (and still may be) some great craftsmen here. Archives here are still a great resource.

Where else can you find info on how to size & build a firebox, keep flies away, Q a coon, and even how to build a 25' Christmas tree stand ???
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07 18 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile That deserve's one of kam's "ultimate like" buttons Wink
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 18 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What happened to this site" threads seem to be the most talked about topic on here these days.

Face it...the board owners/administrators have abandoned the site...it simply is not promoted any more. That is why there have been no updates in many, many years. The format is outdated & has been surpassed by so many other sites.

It is unfortunate. Ten, twelves years ago this was my "go-to" barbecue site.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 18 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. Otherwise a moderator would have chimed in here by now.

RIP Smoke Ring. You had a good life.
Natural Hattrick 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 18 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
"What happened to this site" threads seem to be the most talked about topic on here these days.

Face it...the board owners/administrators have abandoned the site...it simply is not promoted any more. That is why there have been no updates in many, many years. The format is outdated & has been surpassed by so many other sites.

It is unfortunate. Ten, twelves years ago this was my "go-to" barbecue site.

To be fair. I did have an administrator help me reset my password a month ago. He was very persistent and helpful.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 18 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that there are still a few of us still around and "lurking".

I believe that the main issue is a lack of interesting topics....

There are tones of other "look at my cook" forums around but who cares I'm not taking photos of my food when I could be eating Smile

This site has a lot of great resources but just isn't getting a whole lot of interesting traffic.

What to do... What to do?
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08 18 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountainMan wrote:
I'm thinking that there are still a few of us still around and "lurking".

I believe that the main issue is a lack of interesting topics....

There are tones of other "look at my cook" forums around but who cares I'm not taking photos of my food when I could be eating Smile

This site has a lot of great resources but just isn't getting a whole lot of interesting traffic.

What to do... What to do?

I visit enough forums (not just smoking or cooking) to know this one is way behind in terms of ease of use. The lack of updates is likely the culprit. There are so many good looking and easy to use forums, like vBulletin, that this one just isn't appealing to most folks. It shows it's age like a 35 year old woman smoker who has been in the Florida sun her whole life.
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09 18 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss those days as well. I check in a couple times a month still cooking a lot!

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
Home built UDS
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 18 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still lurk from time to time.

Mike Lawry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: