FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on buying a tig welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03 19 12:22 am    Post subject: Advice on buying a tig welder Reply with quote

I'm one of the ones that complain about nobody on here anymore and this is my first post in years . To the point. I'm thinking about buying a tig welder so many choices inverter or transformer and of course I want to go cheap I think I do want a hi frequency for starts and foot control what can you suggest. Also I have limited use of my left hand could you lay a filler rod in a seam and weld it without having to feed it with the left ‚úč thanks for any input from anyone left out there thanks halftimer
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03 19 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been tig welding for 26 years.
Yes I/you can feed the filler rod with a closed fist.

Sadly I won't be much help in shopping for a machine.
I have 2 water cooled syncrowave 250's that I bought when they were almost new in 2000.

High frequency is very nice to have, keeps from having to scratch start the arc. That makes for more frequent tungsten cleaning.

I do just about all of my tig without a foot control but I do have a on/off trigger on the torch. I set the temp. on the machine then control the temp. by how long I keep the arc on. This requires High freq. and is used mostly for anodized aluminum climbing around on boats doing the pipe work where having a foot peddle would just not work.

For table and ground work I would recommend the foot control.
Some of my pipe work.
https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/546894_697698943603128_1104717299_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=c7a1ce42d1770c8a54166e343ccd334a&oe=5CEBFCB1

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36965802_1961302117242798_2345906318121893888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=e16aeaa5a546f5415f141d220c875001&oe=5CE9C048
KMM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03 19 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a new machine to do a specific one-off project? Or, have you been bitten by the welding bug and want to tinker with multiple projects over the next several years?
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04 19 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grandrfab if I do any it will be tabletop I can get down on the ground but its not a prettiest sight to be seen. And hbm if I had one I think I would do one more smoker build I need a smaller one. I used to have a shop and would cook on Fridays for crew and customers, now retired don't need that large .thinking about building a small stainless about the size of my electric master built wide enough for a brisket and put maybe three drawers on ball bearing slides instead of a door a pill out fire box on the bottom and be able move around with a two wheeler maybe built in
KMM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06 19 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a trip to Harbor Frieght would be in order. They have a couple models that would do everything you need for a reasonable price.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06 19 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMM wrote:
Sounds like a trip to Harbor Frieght would be in order. They have a couple models that would do everything you need for a reasonable price.

That I have thought of check the inverterwelder by Chicago electric $385. And the two year bring it back to store and get a new replacement was only $49 for two years
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07 19 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when you do this. Buy the bottle.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 19 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandrfab wrote:
If/when you do this. Buy the bottle.

Yes can get a 40cf for $146. Full think that will do about two hour
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 19 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay out of the wind and keep turning your gas flow down until it becomes a problem then turn the flow up just a bit.

With a remote start like foot pedal or trigger your gas shuts off between welds. Unlike a scratch start were the gas stays on.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 19 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandrfab wrote:
Stay out of the wind and keep turning your gas flow down until it becomes a problem then turn the flow up just a bit.

With a remote start like foot pedal or trigger your gas shuts off between welds. Unlike a scratch start were the gas stays on.

Thanks good advice
Brian Oatway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15 19 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shopping for a TIG machine about a year ago. I had a Syncrowave 180 that was a workhorse but just not enough output for some of the aluminum stuff I was doing.

I am a Miller guy with Miller Mig and Plasma as well, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a big Miller TIG.

I went with a used Everlast 325 that I upgraded with CK torches. I am a hobbiest and don't use the machine every day but it has worked out very well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: