FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to make Bacon....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 19 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quality wise they both should be fine - I would speak to a butcher or someone in the meat department at either. tell them you are looking for fresh pork belly around X pounds. They should easily help you out or tell you they don't carry what you are looking for.

We have BJs wholesale here (basically costco) and their meat department is always very helpful.
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 19 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MountainMan wrote:
OK you got me!
I'm ready to make some bacon....

Now here is my question.

Only having local City Market (Kroger) and CostCo near by is the CostCo prok belley OK or do I need to mail order?

And if ordering can any one recommend a reasonable supplier?

TNX

I think Costco has very good quality meats. Snowsmoke is right about asking for fresh of x pounds. The ones I got were small, about 1.3 pounds each and I think that is why I had a little trouble with measuring. Get a single piece about 3 to 4 pounds and you will be good to go.

Do you have all the cure #1 and other ingredients??

RiskDude
MountainMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 19 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Costco has very good quality meats. Snowsmoke is right about asking for fresh of x pounds. The ones I got were small, about 1.3 pounds each and I think that is why I had a little trouble with measuring. Get a single piece about 3 to 4 pounds and you will be good to go.

Do you have all the cure #1 and other ingredients??

RiskDude

As to ingredients, I do summer sausage so yes I'm good..

I'm also starting to consider "Buckboard bacon" as well.

Should I post a new thread asking for comparisons between bacon (pork belly) and buckboard bacon (pork shoulder) as to taste etc.?
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19 19 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the more discussion topics the better. Might also want to do a search for "buckboard bacon" and check out the Cured Meats thread for some ideas. There is alot of historical information in this site so some of the ideas may already be discussed.

Since this is my first attempt at bacon, unfortunately I am not much help, sorry.
Mustang_51D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 19 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, technical question: are there any climatic variables when curing bacon? Because right now I live in Oregon where I know I can make it, but I have a problem that's a good thing as well. Or a good thing that can be a problem... your call. In fact, I'm going to buy this house in Corfu for the holidays and to retire there later on (my wife's Greek and sometimes misses home).
But the weather there is radically different, much warmer, and the air from the sea is different from what you have anywhere else.
So, will I get botulism or mess my bacon (or myself) in a horrible way if I were to try that there? Of course, if it's harder, I won't do it and will still have lots of tasty things to cook, but well, if I can do my own bacon, why wouldn't I?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: