FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need recommendations for cookers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workaholic

PostPosted: Wed May 08 19 4:51 am    Post subject: I need recommendations for cookers Reply with quote

I know I've been gone a while. Probably missed quite a bit.
I need new cookers. Stores I have local are Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Academy, Cabela's, Walmart, and not quite as local but close, Tractor Supply.

My last offset smoker I gave away, when I transferred out to Guam. While there, I converted an Electric ECB to charcoal. I gave it away when I retired from that career, and left Guam. I've been retired for about 4 and a half years now. We also had a gas grill that rusted out after about 3 years. About a year after the old one rusted out, the wife bought me this masterbuilt 7 in 1 gas/charcoal smoker/grill combo. Picked it up cheap, from someone here local that was thinning his herd. Doesnt really seem to perform that well. Might be able stick the bottom from a Weber on it and use it that way, but haven't explored that option too much. Outside diameter is 17". So now I'm in search of new ones. Cruising the websites of the local stores and reading reviews can only get you so far.

I need a gas grill for the wife to be able to use, since she likes to grill. I'm thinking 2-4 burners, on a cart, and probably should be cost efficient. $300 or less, preferably, and the lower the better, if possible.

The smoker is a different options. What I want out of it, vs what the wife wants... I kind of like the option of being able to go out and tend the fire every so often. The wife would prefer one that's as close to set it and forget it as possible. Since the kids are grown, and for the most part out of the house, without kids and grandchildren visiting for the holidays in the near future, we are looking at being able to fit at least a 12lb turkey in it, preferably being able to slide a 24 pounder in it if things change and they do visit. ( 3 kids, 2 son in laws, and 4 grandchildren). Options for a smoker include, but are not limited to WSM, Dyna Glow offset vertical: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-Heavy-Duty-Vertical-Offset-Charcoal-Smoker-and-Grill/1000567709, Oklahoma Joe's highland reverse flow smoker (top of the price range): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Reverse-Flow-Offset-Smoker/280412839?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1148&adid=22222222228127423279&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=234447662311&wl4=pla-385382459009&wl5=9024253&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562587&wl11=online&wl12=280412839&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw2cTmBRAVEiwA8YMgzaoHfhb7gHbLlgY-JD2OlesMg-msKoUS5UZ3ldcy5qbmjkSfX8WcahoCawkQAvD_BwE. I'm open to other ideas. I know an UDS will be brought up. I have semi limited skills. In other words I can't weld, nor do I have a cutting torch. I have basic tools, including a drill (but no jig saw), and the ability to use them. However I struck out on my search of craigslist for barrels locally. I'd probably have to order one online and have it shipped. I also do not have a weed burner, to clean the inside of a barrel. If other ways to do what was needed were mentioned, I'd be open to an UDS. However I wonder if I would want a 55 gallon one or 30.... this also came to mind: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Barrel-19-in-H-x-18-5-in-W-324-sq-in-Black-Charcoal-Vertical-Smoker/1000340899

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.
ArnoldZiffel
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 09 19 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Sorry I can't help with the gas grill. Never owned one and have no idea how to operate one let alone what options I would want.

As far as the smoker I'll tell you what I have. I have a New Braunfels offset my wife bought me about 25 years ago. I don't think they are around any longer, but plenty of other brands. I can get 3-4 8# butts on it, no problem. A 24# turkey would be easy to fit. It does take a bit of attention to keep the fire going.

I just purchased a Pit Boss Series 4 vertical smoker from Lowes. Got tired of tending to the smoker every hour or so. Now I can set the temp and walk away. Only done two smokes on it, both ribs. They turned out pretty good. It does maintain the set temp within 10-15 degrees. Better then I could do with the offset. There are around 1300 sq inches of space, about 5 racks, so plenty of space to smoke as much as you want. A word of caution as some people have had problems with the pellets if they get wet as they can clog the auger. Just do some research. I keep the pellets inside, and don't smoke if rain is forecast. I'll use the other smoker.

Good luck. At least you have several stores to choose from. Where I live its Lowes, or Wally World.

Craig
Pit Boss Ser 4
Workaholic

PostPosted: Thu May 09 19 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,
Thanks for the reply. I looked into the pit boss smokers, one of the Pro series. I wound up ruling it out, after some thought, because I do, to an extent, enjoy the fire tending aspect of smoking. That's why I'm leaning towards an offset. However, space is limited under the covered porch, so I was thinking vertical offset for the smaller footprint. I reckon I could keep it in the garage, but I'm not too keen on moving it from there to the backyard everytime I want to use it. The gasser is only for convenience. The wife has a few physical issues that limit what she can do, so that would make it easier on her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: