FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone confirm my math?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woody350ep
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18 19 6:35 am    Post subject: Can someone confirm my math? Reply with quote

I've been approached to make pork butts for a college fan tailgate (maybe 3 events). I normally just do small stuff for friends that we trade in services so pricing generally doesn't come into play. This is strictly meat costs and calculations - sauce, spices, materials are separate.

Here's the known:
- 300 people (up to 1200 but factoring 300 min)
- 1 sandwich per person (4 oz meat)
- There will be other food like burgers and such and the contracted amount is for 1 PP sandwich per person.

So here's what I'm thinking:

300 people @.25 lb serving = 75 lb of serving meat required

So here I am to get there:

300 (servings) X .25 (weight) X 2 (to account for 50% loss from raw meat) = 150 lb raw pork butt

150 lb raw butt @$1.30/lb = $195

$195 / 300 = $0.65 per serving per person plus bun/sauce/etc.

Does that seem right? What would you charge (in addition to the meat costs) to make rub (no spice cost), make sauce (no material cost) and cook the butts?

Payment would be in cash to me

Thanks in advance!
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19 19 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your math is good, but I would figure it at more like 5oz. per sandwich. Also, 300-1200 is an INCREDIBLE difference in the quantity of meat to be cooked. Might want to get that narrowed down a bit to a more realistic number. And whatever total you end up with for raw weight, add 10% to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: