FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am sounding like a cheerleader for the SmokeRing, so....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05 19 12:31 pm    Post subject: I am sounding like a cheerleader for the SmokeRing, so.... Reply with quote

Howdy Everyone,

Although I still consider myself a newbie, I have spent many many hours on this site. It is the first BBQ website I found. I posted my build plans, got great advice, found recipes, even chatted with another member. And over the recent years, due to a variety of reasons, I slowed up. Then I started to see all the "Where is Everybody", "Used to come here daily", "Miss everyone", "Software does not make picture posting easy", and all the other comments.

But what struck me is there was quite a bit of desire to keep it going. Just this year, I have seen several of the long time regulars, Canadian Bacon, Alien, Killswitch, PitBoss and others check in.... And it is nice to see folks start to check back in.

So, since folks want to see the Ring continue, and folks are checking in, and it seems that Ya, we can't post pics easily, (gotta accept it or work around it) but we (here comes the cheerleader part), we can still post because it is about BBQ, friends, and all that Rah Rah stuff.

Next time ya check in, Post something about your recent cook. Post something about a recent build. Post a new recipe. Reach out to a Ring friend and tell them to check in, Say HI and just do something. Look, I admit, I never posted near as much as I checked in because I didn't feel I could add anything compared to those who have been doing this forever and maybe I am part of the reason we are where we are.

But even though I am not an older timer.... I miss reading about the cooks, the banter back and forth, the jokes, the stories about the cooks..... Ya, there may not be pictures of everything, but a new post can turn into two, then four then fourteen.... Call me naive, call be a newbie, call me a cheerleader, (Just dont call me Shirley).

So, who's In???

I am doing Ribs this Sat, in the rain. I am going to try burnt ends for the first time on Friday (for the Sat gathering) and I am going to try Onion Bombs too. I have more bacon in the fridge curing. I will make up a story about the cook, but Just Post Something and maybe we can get back on track. So, to start......:

It was cold rainy Saturday morning when RiskDude surveyed the yard, puddles everywhere. Humidity was up. Temp was down. How will the cooker respond? Too many decisions on a empty stomach. Crap, gotta make coffee and make a decision, do I add rum to the coffee, brandy, .... Suddenly...... Rolling Eyes
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05 19 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I am sounding like a cheerleader for the SmokeRing, so.. Reply with quote

Riskdude wrote:
Howdy Everyone,

Although I still consider myself a newbie, I have spent many many hours on this site. It is the first BBQ website I found. I posted my build plans, got great advice, found recipes, even chatted with another member. And over the recent years, due to a variety of reasons, I slowed up. Then I started to see all the "Where is Everybody", "Used to come here daily", "Miss everyone", "Software does not make picture posting easy", and all the other comments.

But what struck me is there was quite a bit of desire to keep it going. Just this year, I have seen several of the long time regulars, Canadian Bacon, Alien, Killswitch, PitBoss and others check in.... And it is nice to see folks start to check back in.

So, since folks want to see the Ring continue, and folks are checking in, and it seems that Ya, we can't post pics easily, (gotta accept it or work around it) but we (here comes the cheerleader part), we can still post because it is about BBQ, friends, and all that Rah Rah stuff.

Next time ya check in, Post something about your recent cook. Post something about a recent build. Post a new recipe. Reach out to a Ring friend and tell them to check in, Say HI and just do something. Look, I admit, I never posted near as much as I checked in because I didn't feel I could add anything compared to those who have been doing this forever and maybe I am part of the reason we are where we are.

But even though I am not an older timer.... I miss reading about the cooks, the banter back and forth, the jokes, the stories about the cooks..... Ya, there may not be pictures of everything, but a new post can turn into two, then four then fourteen.... Call me naive, call be a newbie, call me a cheerleader, (Just dont call me Shirley).

So, who's In???

I am doing Ribs this Sat, in the rain. I am going to try burnt ends for the first time on Friday (for the Sat gathering) and I am going to try Onion Bombs too. I have more bacon in the fridge curing. I will make up a story about the cook, but Just Post Something and maybe we can get back on track. So, to start......:

It was cold rainy Saturday morning when RiskDude surveyed the yard, puddles everywhere. Humidity was up. Temp was down. How will the cooker respond? Too many decisions on a empty stomach. Crap, gotta make coffee and make a decision, do I add rum to the coffee, brandy, .... Suddenly...... Rolling Eyes

Good thoughts, but do not give up your day job... Rolling Eyes
MountainMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05 19 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in..........
Planning to do my first Buckboard bacon soon....... That is if it ever stops snowing.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19 19 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here but my day to day life and weekends are pretty much consumed with the International Barbeque Cookers Association. I am on the board of directors and Debbie and I are both Certified head judges which means most weekends we are cooking competitions or judging them. Cooking at home and building cookers has kinda taken a back seat for us as far as posting stuff.
My website host crashed and I lost everything then photobucket started charging it is very difficult now a days for me to slow down enough to post pics of cooks. We are both active on Facebook more now because of our positions in IBCA. I do post some cooks on The Texas BBQ Forum but only because I can off my phone.
I like most of the old timers miss the old days but we should relish the memories and friendships made because life has gotten in the way of so many here on the ring.

Hybrid Cooker
Boomer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18 19 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr and Mrs k.a.m.

I miss looking at all the good things that you and the little women posted over the years......you two were always class acts no matter what went on......on this Forum. Some of the best people I have met on this Forum that have helped me over the years not only with BBQ but with LIFE. When my mother passed I will never ever forget the outpouring of condolences that I received from all my fellow ringers. One from Tater_68 that touched me so that I framed the quote and look at it every day before I go to work

Sorry to hear about your mother passing, Seems as though a certain teacher has taught many children much more than how to weld.
I understand that life has a way of making things hard and never seems to be enough time to do the things that we enjoy. But the Ring and members will always be in my heart.

My two buddies and myself have been using Erma Lou allot over the years we make allot of meat on the cooker. I wanted to post pics but photobucket has made it very hard for me to accomplish that easily, I have seen allot of pics on my posts taken down. That is one of the reasons that I don't post too much anymore.
One more thing whatever happened to my dear friend Chuck from Stillwell Kansas I have tried over the years to get in touch with him his number is a working number. Don't know what happened. well take care of you and the little lady. Thanks to Jess for starting this post.

Boomer
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18 19 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still check in from time to time. Love to exchange greetings with a great cyber friend from the past when I catch them on here. When someone asks for advice or an opinion I will throw my two cents in. Sometimes things aren't meant to last forever, they were special times because they were "special times" I will never forget our challenges and competitions on here.....the smack talking, posting our game faces.....it really had a feel that we were all at the same place, hanging out and competing. Those my friends, were special times.

So many of our lives have not just changed but changed drastically. Over the years as someone would disappear you would wonder, what happened?? I remembering trying IM, Email and was really upset I had lost contact with this person. Then they made one final appearance and said, it's a really long, really sad story. I really enjoyed all of my time on here with all of you and then they rode off into the sunset.

I think of k.a.m. and Debbie, their time on here doing practice cooks, Kevin posting builds and helping people with builds. Promoting the love of the art of Q..... that was all a step to get them into their next phase which is judging, competing and helping run a great Q Association. Real time is Always better than Cyber time!!

We had a great community here but it was a cyber community. Many went the xtra mile to go meet people, speak to them, spend time with them and those friendships will carry on. This forum is still here as a great source of knowledge for newbies that want to search the forum......it is almost impossible to add something "new" to what is here.

I still fire up my stickburner on long holiday weekends, fire up my ceramic a couple times a month, and cook on the Weber's often. When I do so, I'm either cooking for me or my adult children are here and I don't want to sacrifice any of my time with them to sit at a computer to post. My tailgating season is upon me as our Chiefs have the new wonderboy QB and I look forward to being waiting at the gates of Arrowhead at 6am on gamedays with my children for a day of cooking, a few adult beverages and great football!! One of the last things my wife said to our oldest daughter was "make sure dad always keeps those tickets and I want one of you kids in my seat cheering hard".

To the hundreds upon hundreds of great people on here I've had great cyber friendships with, that will never change, I think of you often and check in from time to time to see if I can get a glimpse of you. Wishing you all, the very best in life!!

Todd
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19 19 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone on this site I learned a h3ll of a lot! I do a lot of charity cooks for Veteran organization, Military units, Christian churches and charities. This coming weekend I'm cooking for the local JROTC group. Butts, Brats and pulled chicken!

Got a new Camp Chef Flat Top grill. It is both a gas grill and a griddle. First time in my life (I'm 57) I've ever cooked on a gas grill. Did 20 lbs of burgers and hot dogs last Sunday for my church Vacation Bible School!

I check in every week or so, comment here and there when I think I can lend insight. I also follow the FB smokering https://www.facebook.com/groups/545247395551588/

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
T&K Gravity Feed, Medium
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20 19 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never participated in the "Hi, How are you" part of the Ring but I have had my trailer pit rebuilt by SmokinMike which has led to him borrowing it for an annual veterans pig roast! Great work Mike

I became a CBJ and am hoping to get a few contests under my belt here soon. Competed with iQue BBQ up in VT for the third straight year and am looking at two solid catering gigs in the next few weeks.

Weather is amazing in the North East and with kids back to school next weekend, we'll be filling the pits often.

be well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: