FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing whole smoked brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09 19 10:13 am    Post subject: Freezing whole smoked brisket Reply with quote

A guy that my wife works with wants me to smoke him a brisket for Thanksgiving. The issue is that with my wife's travel schedule, this weekend is the best time to smoke it and deliver it to him in time. The obvious wrinkle is that Thanksgiving is still a couple weeks away. So, I'm trying to figure out if he can freeze it whole and defrost/reheat on Thanksgiving. So, how would y'all handle this?
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12 19 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We smoke several thousand pounds of brisket each year. I don't think you'd get a good result by freezing it whole. My suggestion would be to slice it, add some liquid and freeze it that way. It thaws well and reheats nicely. I don't even purchase whole brisket that has been frozen... it just doesn't process well.
Snowsmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14 19 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I have had any luck doing this is by not smoking it up to the proper temp. Take it to roughly 170 and let is cool to room temp, wrap in plastic, then zip lock it into the freezer.

To reheat, pan it with some low sodium beef stock and put it in around 300 degrees to "finish" smoking. Far from right off the smoker but gets the job done in a pinch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: