FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 2:33 pm    Post subject: Garry? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure why this needed to be bumped. Topic closed.

Garry

It was bumped so others dont get ripped off...Thats why...
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,

I know we've had the discussion recently, but in my experience it is considered poor form on most websites to just "bump" threads. Some, in fact, have written rules against it. The thinking is that if you don't have anything new to add to the discussion you should just leave it alone. Effectively you are dropping somethign else off the first page without adding any new content. If everybody bumped the threads they are passionate about, then the whole front page would be nothing but bumps.

Your dissatisfaction with the company is noted and archived here. Someone can search for it if it falls off the first page. If someone asks about lump coal (as you know, happens all the time), just link to that post. It does suck that you got such poor customer service.

Not trying to bust your chops or anything man. I've been a part of lots of websites over the years, so I thought I'd just giving you my thoughts on it.
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild wrote:
Gordon,

I know we've had the discussion recently, but in my experience it is considered poor form on most websites to just "bump" threads. Some, in fact, have written rules against it. The thinking is that if you don't have anything new to add to the discussion you should just leave it alone. Effectively you are dropping somethign else off the first page without adding any new content. If everybody bumped the threads they are passionate about, then the whole front page would be nothing but bumps.

Your dissatisfaction with the company is noted and archived here. Someone can search for it if it falls off the first page. If someone asks about lump coal (as you know, happens all the time), just link to that post. It does suck that you got such poor customer service.

Not trying to bust your chops or anything man. I've been a part of lots of websites over the years, so I thought I'd just giving you my thoughts on it.

Well, I didnt know about the "discussion" so its all good... Very Happy
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonsBackyardBBQ wrote:

Well, I didnt know about the "discussion" so its all good... Very Happy

I should clarify about the "discussion". It was a discussion within another topic...I don't remember which one....and I didn't participate. Some folks felt like it was OK to bump and others didn't. Of course there was no consensus in the end, but Garry evidently frowns on it.

Again, sorry about your experience with the lump.
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12 07 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Hog, I just didnt want to see other people get taken. There were a lot of people other than me...Was just a friendly warning...Like I said its all good...
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 07 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild wrote:
Gordon,

I know we've had the discussion recently, but in my experience it is considered poor form on most websites to just "bump" threads.

That's correct. You shouldn't post to a thread unless you have something to add. Please don't "bump" your favorite thread just to keep it on the first page.

Garry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: