FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a pig cooker for the first time... help please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogie494 wrote:
do you guys think that taking a torch and lighting the metal up to red hot will get that residue out??

Probably not. Plus it will warp and possibly weaken the steel.

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean like a rose bud? It will certainly help, but sure is a lot of work. You will consume a lot of oxy/ace or whatever you use. I don't think you will ever get it all out. I think you should stop and conseder how much your cleaning method will cost you, compared to just using something else. MEK and all that stuff could add up to a few dollars.
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, it would be better to use something else, but i think with some work in preping that you should be able to minimize any threat. he wouldn't be the first person to do this and im sure that a few people havent taken nearly the precautions that should be taken. there has to be some way of getting it out. if not than most of us are at risk. if you cant get it out than it is surely to be in all metal that is recycled and then used to build our smokers, isnt it?
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recycled as in using old propane tanks or recycled as in going to the scrap yard and being metled down and new steel formed??

I would be careful of old propane tanks, because they accumulate liquids, such as drip gas and oils over time. Take an old propane tank of somekind and remove the valve (when it is empty of course). Most will have liquid in them. That is why old propane tanks seem to empty quicker than new ones, the fluid keeps them from holding as much propane. The propane companies won't tell you, cause they sale you less fuel for the same price. That is why small bottles have a fixed price instead of by the gallon.

Recycled steel on the other hand is remelted and the contaminants removed.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to me to be a lot to go thruogh to make a cooker, as far as the cleaning goes. If your carefull i guess it can be done but..........
What i would do is wait and find a old water tank or air compresser tank would be much safer. Sure would hate to read those headlines and know that i could have done some thing to stop it. Just think before ya start and ask yourself .....is it worth it? Safety first my friend.
idratherbplaying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i am reeling now from all the conflicting information i have been getting on this subject. after the posts from alien and others i sought more research so i called several oil companies and chemists.. The chemist initially told me that solvent cleaning would be the only way to work (i.e. MEK) but when i told him i had already lit a fire in it, he told me that burning the tank would get enough oil out in order for the tank to no longer be harmful to the cooking. That there are always trace amounts of toxins, even in charcoal...

I am just really confused....what do i do?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in light of all the conflicting information, and how confused you are, I personally would just go the safe route and start with a clean tank. It sounds better to me than taking your chances and always wondering if you may be hurting yourself. That way if something does happen to your health down the road, you at least won't be kicking yourself over using the oil tank BBQ rig, and wondering if you may have hurt anyone else from that thing!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back to something I learned in grade school....better safe than sorry.........I would definitely say you should find something else to build your pit with.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just build it, paint it up nice and sell it on Ebay!
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledgehammer03 wrote:
Just build it, paint it up nice and sell it on Ebay!

Hey sledgehammer,

What is your eBay handle again?

Jay
HOGG WILD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built mine from a old water tank off a cement truck. Just the right size, not to big and not to small for the big stuff. Did'nt like the idea of even using a propane tank although it has been done many times. All so, If you can get your hands on a 24" or 36" peice of steel colvert or surface casing would be a great start depending on your welding skills. Just a Arkansa Hoggs point of veiw. Good Luck!!!
jsdesign1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 7:33 am    Post subject: oil tank Reply with quote

I think I would call an oil supply company about buying a new tank- they cost about $350.00 for that size. I checked on one about a week ago for a replacement on a job.
thebigbutt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a fuel oil tank to pre burn my wood for the pit. I lined the bottom of the tank with fire brick, just laid them in. It has worked well and my bbq has been great!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 05 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your post a bit too late to respond earlier. As a former machine builder for the food industry, here is my two cents worth:

Since you have already built this thing, it is to late to change the oil drum for something more suitable, like a propane tank. I would reccomend cooking the residue out of it without any meat in it. All things considered, it should burn out fairly clean. As far as selling it to some unsuspecting e-bay addict, I would suggest selling it to Mr.Sledgehammer since he thinks it is such a good idea! Laughing . If you would not use it for your own family, why pass on the problem!? Sad

Galvanized metal is a BIG NO-NO! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: