FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAB B
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild wrote:
dabaslab wrote:

We act like if someone uses _____________ (fill in the blank) that they will automaticlly win. That is certainly not the case as we all know.

Dab

I guess I'm not supposed to post in here because I don't compete Rolling Eyes , but I'm going to anyway. Twisted Evil

The logic of, "if you have to use this stuff, learn how to cook" doesn't set very well with me either. Using that logic you should not use rub, marinate, brine, etc. etc. on anything you cook. That is all adding "stuff" to the meat that is not "naturally" in the meat. When it comes down to it, everything you're putting on your meat is a "chemical", and those chemicals impart a flavor.

If I was to get me some kombu seaweed (where the flavor of glutamate was discovered), boil it up, and inject it in a brisket, whould that be OK? It's a 100% "natural" product, but it's the same dang thing as MSG.....

Q4T
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't need a bigger badder faster cooker to win but think about it for a second if you opened it to gas do you think that they would have safety regs to go along with it? not saying people would even change to gas but I don't think homemade gas assists would fly do you? so for the most part commercial cookers would be needed and they aint cheap. Now I have no idea but what happened to pellet cookers after they got a big win? Did more start showing up at comps? are they needed to win? no but I'm sure some thought they needed one to compete right? Does the average team spend more or less to compete -inflation than they did before this happened? I would hate to think teams thought they needed to spend 6k plus on a cooker that was pretty much only good for comps. Am I really looking down the wrong track with this? I have heard many comps teams unhappy about the way things are already heading wouldn't this just make it worse? I don't think there is a lobby for gassers to enter the wood only contest in the first place do you know of any? Y"all got a nice thing going but it troubles me that many chase what they think the judges like. Just doesn't sound right to me,then again I'm a damn Yankee that cooks with gas Wink

Gasser!
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sseige, dude, how 'bout some punctuation? Maybe a paragraph or two? My eyes ain't what they used to be and your posts are dang hard to read.... Wink Laughing
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwild wrote:
sseige, dude, how 'bout some punctuation? Maybe a paragraph or two? My eyes ain't what they used to be and your posts are dang hard to read.... Wink Laughing

Been eating too much MSG! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Hogwild wrote:

Been eating too much MSG! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing That right there is funny. Very Happy

I know it sounds like I'm a huge MSG proponent, but I'm really not. I don't add ac'cent to any of my rubs, etc., but I don't worry about MSG in any product I buy either. I've been meaning to buy some ac'cent...just to try it out, but always forget when I'm at SAM'S. I've just done a lot of reading on MSG during and since the big discussion we had lat year and have formed my opinion based on that.

BTW, I hear MSG (and aspartame) causes impotence, too....as well as toenail fungus.... Wink Laughing
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26 07 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't resist! Laughing
MContos

PostPosted: Wed May 16 07 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this chatter about FAB, I love it!
Y'know 15-30 minutes research on the internet will tell you exactly how FAB might be achieving what its proponents claim. As for purity Laughing Laughing Laughing well let's just say that's there is nothing in FAB that the average person doesn’t already have in their fridge. Heck those ingredients get used unknowingly at every BBQ competition. They are tasteless (no it's not the MSG) and if you were trying to pick out which que contained them in a blind taste test you'd probably end up making your decision based on something like "this is too perfect... they gotta be cheatin'"
Now I'm a pharmacist so maybe that gave me a bit of and edge in figuring out how FAB works (wanted to compound my own) but I'll give you an oblique hint, it involves one of the properties of "dégustation"
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 16 07 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that a pharmacist found this thread during research into making a similar product speaks volumes as to why there is so much controversy over this stuff.

Can you make me a batch for personal use with a stimulant, anti-depressant and aphrodesiac? Maybe one with a mild hallucinogen for those special occasions? Just for those down times at comps, you know. Laughing Shocked
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 16 07 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
I think the fact that a pharmacist found this thread during research into making a similar product speaks volumes as to why there is so much controversy over this stuff.

Can you make me a batch for personal use with a stimulant, anti-depressant and aphrodesiac? Maybe one with a mild hallucinogen for those special occasions? Just for those down times at comps, you know. Laughing Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think the spelling on "dégustation" is really supposed to be "disgusted". So cutting through the mumbo-jumbo what is the "secret" formula Mr. Pharmacist? (you can PM me if you don't want to share- trust me, your secrets safe with me! Wink Laughing )
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 16 07 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this makes sense how?

Degustation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dégustation is the art of tasting food. Modern dégustation probably comes from the French kitchens of the early 20th century and is different from earlier meals with many courses because these meals were served as full-sized meals at each course.

Dégustation on the other hand is more akin to sampling all of the chefs signature dishes in small portions at the one sitting. Usually eight or more courses, it may be accompanied by a matching wine degustation.

It is also called a dégustation when preparing a sample selection of cheese at home or in a restaurant. 3-4 varieties are chosen, generally including a semisoft cheese, a goat cheese, and a blue cheese. Eat the stronger varieties last. See A Cheese Lover's Tour of France in the New York Times.
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:

Steelman -

You need to come cook with us out West here... I bring a tank of nitrous oxide from my office with me to all comps... It will address all of the needs you mentioned - and maybe a few more you aren't even aware of!!... Happiest group of cooks and judges you will ever see... Laughing Wink

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great! Very Happy Can I come along too? Laughing
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread for some time now. I had some time today and thought I would post a little information about the actual ingredients in FAB-B (that are listed on the ingredientstore.com website) for those who have never took a look at them before. Here goes....

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, or HVP, is produced by boiling scrap vegetables, such as soy, corn, or wheat, in hydrochloric acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. The acid hydrolyzes, or breaks down, the protein in vegetables into their component amino acids. The resulting brown powder contains, among other amino acids, glutamic acid which is used as a flavor enhancer in many processed foods. Some people feel that the glutamate content is detrimental to health.
( Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyzed_vegetable_protein )

Vegetable Oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed) - Everyone know what this is.

Sodium Phosphates - Salt of phosphoric acid - Commonly known as enema agent or Fleet Enema and Fleet Phospho-Soda. Shocked (Source: http://www.metagenics.com/ADAM/41/116700.html ) Phosphates find application in the food processing industry as buffers, emulsifiers, nutrients and discoloration inhibitors
(Source: http://www.adityabirlachemicals.com/products/phosphates_overview.htm )

Monosodium Glutamate, sodium glutamate, flavour enhancer 621, EU food additive code: E621, HS code: 29224220 (IUPAC name: 2-aminopentanedioic acid. Also known as :2-aminoglutaric acid), commonly known as MSG, Ajinomoto, Vetsin, or accent, is a sodium salt of glutamic acid MSG is a food additive, popularly marketed as a "flavor enhancer".
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_Glutamate )

Autolyzed Yeast Extract, consists of concentrations of yeast cells that are allowed to die and break up, so that the yeasts' digestive enzymes break their proteins down into simpler compounds. Hydrolyzed yeast or hydrolyzed yeast extract is another widely used food additive, used for flavouring purposes.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolyzed_yeast_extract )

Disodium Inosinate (E631), chemical formula C10H11N2Na2O8.xH2O, is a food additive often found in instant noodles, potato chips, and a variety of other snacks. It is used as a flavor enhancer, in synergy with monosodium glutamate (also known as MSG; the sodium salt of glutamic acid to provide the umami taste.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_inosinate )

Disodium Guanylate (E627), chemical formula C10H14N5O8P, is a food additive used as a flavor enhancer, in synergy with Monosodium Glutamate (the sodium salt of glutamic acid, MSG), to provide the umami taste.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_guanylate )

Xanthan Gum (C35H49O29)n a product of Glucose fermentation[1] used as a food additive and rheology modifier. It is produced by a biotechnological process involving fermentation of glucose or sucrose by the Xanthomonas campestns bacterium. It was discovered by an extensive research effort by the United States Department of Agriculture, which involved the screening of a large number of bipolymers for their potential uses. Xanthan gum is vegetarian. One of the most remarkable properties of xanthan gum is its capability of producing a large increase in the viscosity of a liquid by adding a very small quantity of gum, on the order of one percent. In foods, xanthan gum is most often found in salad dressings and sauces. It helps to stabilize the colloidal oil and solid materials found in these products.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum )
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds pretty dang tasty! Laughing I can't see the problem with it now that you put it that way! Wink

How about some all natural spices (no added msg, yes I know some is unaviodable as it is a natural occuring substance) and some good old fashioned low and slow!

Works for me every time- but I don't have any trophy's, either! Crying or Very sad
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Well that sounds pretty dang tasty! Laughing I can't see the problem with it now that you put it that way! Wink

How about some all natural spices (no added msg, yes I know some is unaviodable as it is a natural occuring substance) and some good old fashioned low and slow!

Works for me every time- but I don't have any trophy's, either! Crying or Very sad

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Same here!
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoochie, while you have me on the nitrous how about a grill? Maybe something like this but with a TX BBQ theme and a ruby or two:

DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
Hoochie, while you have me on the nitrous how about a grill? Maybe something like this but with a TX BBQ theme and a ruby or two:

I dont think that you need nitrous for the grill, though the killing off of a couple of brain cells before requesting one will proabbly help...

something in me does want to bring some of the hiphop culture to BBQ...
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
zz-que

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 8:07 am    Post subject: FAB Reply with quote

Use a light brine, flavored to your likeing. The salt will help the other good stuff get in, but not too much. It opens up the pores, but the pores close down after a while. If you inject, use whatever you want. FAB is not evil,
as it was formulated by a food scientist as I have heard. The only evil thing in FAB is MSG. MSG is condemed by the yuppies who drive Hondas and drink bottled water, not beer. I am not a MD, but I am sure that everything that tastes good, or feel good is bad for me.
Steve
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 17 07 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: FAB Reply with quote

zz-que wrote:
Use a light brine, flavored to your likeing. The salt will help the other good stuff get in, but not too much. It opens up the pores, but the pores close down after a while. If you inject, use whatever you want. FAB is not evil,
as it was formulated by a food scientist as I have heard. The only evil thing in FAB is MSG. MSG is condemed by the yuppies who drive Hondas and drink bottled water, not beer. I am not a MD, but I am sure that everything that tastes good, or feel good is bad for me.
Steve

Oh goood grief! This means I have to trade in the F250 on a Honda now? Laughing Actually owned some fast Hondas in my day- all of em' Bikes of course! Wink I like bottled water and beer too. I'm a Bi-Drinker Confused

Wow, 4 pages, 99 responses, and 5,292 (and counting) views. Is this a new record, or what!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: